£85,000 bill for disgraceful misbehaviour on a Jet2 flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I understand the reason that Baristas are not well paid, its a low skill job that you can be trained to do to a competent level in a couple of months. With that said, its a horrible job and extremely hard work.

My other half runs a chain coffee shop in the city. Her contracted hours are 47.5 hours a week. The store opening hours are 6.30 to 6 Monday to Friday - to complete all the tasks for opening she needs to be there for around 5.30am, if she is closing she'll leave at 6.30-7. A "double shift" is basically 12 hours on your feet, non stop. Its a busy store, there are usually queues even outside of peak hours. There is no paid sickness, lunch breaks are unpaid although food on shift is subsidised.

I'm in a niche accounting role, paid 3x what she earns. I work hard, my job is challenging, but despite all that hers is harder - if you offered me the same money I'm on now to do it, I wouldn't.

Because of the low barriers to entry in her role, she is replacable, so they can get away with paying such a low rate - but don't look down on people who work in the service industry or retail (10 years retail here in my past) - because despite the low skill requirement those jobs can be extremely challenging.

Indeed I worked in retail for a while myself as a delivery driver. Many people think "oh you get to drive around, that's cool", yet fail to realise that when you have to lug 50-80kg of shopping up 6 flights of stairs 20+ times a day in 25c+ heat its not an easy job at all. It's no wonder there are very very few women doing the job, they just wouldn't be able to.

Soldato
30 years ago most households had zero pc's, zero mobile phones, 3 channels on their TV, a vcr was a months wages and a games console just about played pong.

And a car was a distant dream only the wealthy could afford. Or in our case a company car my father had to take driving lessons for the first time in his life and he wasn't happy but it was a requirement for the job. I still remember my mother's excitement at her first washing machine. It made a hell of a racket and shook like it was going to explode any minute but she didn't have to wash clothes by hand for the first time in her life!

Soldato
Just what i was thinking....30 years ago was only 1989, bar the internet things were hardly different to now :p
I tend to disagree. I was at college not long after then and had a 25 year old car which cost over £1000 to insure even back then. These days kids get brand new Renault Clios or BMW 1 series on PCP. Driving was VERY expensive, so much so that I would cycle rather than use my car more often than not. There was also no minimum wage, so I was earning £3 an hour doing a cleaning job while studying.

Soldato
lets be honest, they didn't, thirty years ago saw the Lawson budget ending MIRAS, so a massive boom in house prices followed by a bust and negative equity. Also a lot of redundancy.

It was also the era of 'loadsamoney' . So no people didn't live within their means.
I think your both generalising. The 'loadsamoney' folk were a handful of yuppies in the city and in no way were representative of the larger general population.

It was interesting reading what the former bouncer who tackled said about the whole thing by all accounts she was putting such a resistance it was if she had the strength of at least two people her size which makes me think she might have dropped some other piles down her throat before drinking the bar dry.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I tend to disagree. I was at college not long after then and had a 25 year old car which cost over £1000 to insure even back then. These days kids get brand new Renault Clios or BMW 1 series on PCP. Driving was VERY expensive, so much so that I would cycle rather than use my car more often than not. There was also no minimum wage, so I was earning £3 an hour doing a cleaning job.

£1000 insurance in 1989 :eek: That would be astronomical even today. I'm too much of a whipper snapper to have actually been paying for things in 1989 to be fair

Soldato
What kind of pussys were on that flight? One swift nut and she would be out for the duration.
One of the passengers did tackler her (and ex bouncer) but even with him leading the efforts it took two other people to fully restrain her.

I tend to disagree. I was at college not long after then and had a 25 year old car which cost over £1000 to insure even back then. These days kids get brand new Renault Clios or BMW 1 series on PCP. Driving was VERY expensive, so much so that I would cycle rather than use my car more often than not. There was also no minimum wage, so I was earning £3 an hour doing a cleaning job while studying.
£1000? Where were you living, Beirut? I paid £750 when I was 18 for my first years insurance back in 1997 and that's on the back of my dad have 3 of his cars stolen in the space of 7 years.

Caporegime
trying to open the doors mid flight? is that not attempted murder?

what would have happened if she had gotten the door open? surely she should be banned from flying ever again on any airline for at least 10 years? also some prison time?

Soldato
She's 100% to blame, but unless she boozed up on the plane it's likely she boarded drunk and that brings up it's own issues with airports serving alcohol, why she was even allowed to board in her inebriated state.

Permabanned
And a car was a distant dream only the wealthy could afford. Or in our case a company car my father had to take driving lessons for the first time in his life and he wasn't happy but it was a requirement for the job. I still remember my mother's excitement at her first washing machine. It made a hell of a racket and shook like it was going to explode any minute but she didn't have to wash clothes by hand for the first time in her life!
Err, this definitely not my experience, me and my mates who were all students mostly had cars.

Actually I probably passed my test in 1979, and a lot of kids my age had access to cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom