850 pro 3D MLC about to die?

Soldato
I just enabled file history in windows which made backups of various files I wanted, and within an hour of it been done the ssd became active for windows indexing, and during the indexing it shot up to 100% active time, and stopped responding to the OS, a few seconds later I had to reboot as the OS was dead with no i/o to boot drive.

On the reboot it wasnt showing in the bios but came back on a power cycle.

Is this the early signs of death? On the fabled PRO drive.

Soldato
Which firmware revision is the drive on, and did you check the temps on the drive when the issues started to appear? Sounds similar to what happened to a drive I was working with, I just got Samsung to replace it after finding nothing really wrong with it, but given the application it was in it was better safe than sorry.

Soldato
OP
I am prepared to do a up to date image and RMA it, as I think the warranty is almost over. My concern is that samsung will say there is nothing wrong since I can currently use the drive.

If it does fail I do have automated image backups. But I dont want it failing just after the warranty ends.

Soldato
OP
On a reboot, got the boot error again, but this time device still in bios and a soft reboot got it to boot.

I am trying to do a online RMA but seems its not possible, note the omission of ssds from this page?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/

Do samsung do advanced RMA's?

The temps are nothing out of the ordinary either, there is active cooling on the device.

Soldato
OP
Doing a new image backup to a spindle, the ssd is 99% active at 84MB/sec the bottleneck whilst the spindle is writing at only 40% activity.

Word of warning for those using macrium automated scheduled backups.

A ton of my backups had the error code 840041324, which is a scheduler error the task is aborted due to constraints on the task. The ones that did run had no errors so I still had backups just not as recent as I thought.

On checking task scheduler I seen macrium adds a condition that the PC must be idle for 1 minute. I manually removed this constraint, as I consider my backups to be more important then that, there is no indication in the UI of this constraint, and I got no alerts from the app when opening it telling me my backups had been aborted. The UI also doesnt allow you to toggle this constraint I removed it in windows task scheduler.

I got the ssd in nov 2014, so just under 5 year warranty period, I managed to get hold of them , the guy had never heard of ssd's and had to find me the number, its a little tucked away department, very strange.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update on the RMA.

The drive was removed out the system yesterday when it stopped been able to boot, random boot errors about missing files etc. Also a 50/50 chance of it even been detected for boot, system is now running on a 120 gig kingston ssd I brought from another member on here.

I had already tried a sata cable swap, and the kingston ssd is running from one of my recent images so from my position it looks like the ssd is at fault.

In terms of samsung I dont think the experience is particularly easy, I had to ring a number which is obscure and wasnt able to find on their website (although it is there hidden away if I google for it after been told it), the first part of the RMA process was they sent a confirmation email, then about 5 minutes later a second email arrives which asks for proof of purchase, picture of front and back of ssd, and screenshot of samsung magician to proceed the RMA. That was done, then I got another email about an hour later, asking me to fill in a web form to proceed the RMA and it also explained samsung will arrange shipping both ways.

I filled in the form and it was stated within 1 working day I would move forward on the RMA (which I believe is arranging pickup date with courier), but since then nothing, just waiting. Approaching day 3 of the 1 working day wait.

They also confirmed is no advanced RMA so 10 day wait after they get the device.

Soldato
OP
Very confused but seems no one has any interest or done a samsung ssd rma before?

I have to put on a RMA label on the box but also a shipping label, seems odd. Is this right?

I did email them and ask but got no reply.

Soldato
Very confused but seems no one has any interest or done a samsung ssd rma before?

I have to put on a RMA label on the box but also a shipping label, seems odd. Is this right?

I did email them and ask but got no reply.

Sorry, not done it as a consumer. My experience was complete in the space of a few days, with a few e-mails and printing a single packing slip.

Sounds like they don't have a great service for end users, which is a shame given the price premium they command.

Soldato
Word of warning for those using macrium automated scheduled backups.

A ton of my backups had the error code 840041324, which is a scheduler error the task is aborted due to constraints on the task. The ones that did run had no errors so I still had backups just not as recent as I thought.
This is one of the reasons I use a paid-for version of Macrium Reflect as it allows me to receive a success/failure email after every scheduled backup.

Your RMA experience doesn't seem great. I'd guess that not many people have had to go through this. None of my SSDs going back 10 years has had any problem that wasn't fixed by a firmware update (Crucial C300). All of the SSDs I've had are still in use somewhere including Samsung drives of every generation from the 830 Pro onwards.

Soldato
OP
Its now sent off, basically I thought the pickup was booked as I had an email from DHL, the email said nothing and just had a pdf printable label which made me initially assume it was booked.

But the earlier email said DHL would contact me with a pickup time, I contacted DHL and the guy didnt know what to do, said I needed an account number which samsung didnt give me. I rang samsung who told me DHL should have rang me, and they should arrange pickup with just tracking number.

I rang DHL again but used the automated collection service, this does allow you to use the tracking number to arrange pickup, I picked a time, and it arranged same day pickup. About an hour after this a human from DHL rang me to confirm it and actually unlock the pickup (seems automated service makes it pending) she also brought forward the time for my convenience from 5pm to 3.30pm.

There is a lot of conditions on the RMA process which allows samsung to opt out of their obligation, has to be packaged in anti static bag, the RMA number needs to be on the box on outside of box, and they also give their own label to put on box as well so is two labels on box, the samsung label has my email address and phone number exposed. But if its not there their t&c says they can reject the RMA "and" not return the product.

So its now sent off and I hope its better from here on out, that email still never got replied to. Its a 10 working day wait once it arrives at their location.

Also I do have the paid for macrium and yeah I will consider that email option, I will hope tho that it picks up scheduler errors not just errors from the backup itself.

The drive never completely died which has me concerned they will return as working normally, but if they do that I will have no trust in the drive given the issues that occurred.

Soldato
There is a lot of conditions on the RMA process which allows samsung to opt out of their obligation, has to be packaged in anti static bag, the RMA number needs to be on the box on outside of box, and they also give their own label to put on box as well so is two labels on box, the samsung label has my email address and phone number exposed. But if its not there their t&c says they can reject the RMA "and" not return the product.
That doesn't sound much different to RMAing a drive to Seagate or Western Digital. They also have very specific packaging and labelling requirements.

Is Samsung paying for the carriage in both directions?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, sounds like companies and such get good support while consumers are treated as second rate customers.

When I asked about the lack of account number for DHL I was told they only given to "proper" customers I kid you not, she gave examples and she basically meant business customers. So b2b customers.

Soldato
OP
That doesn't sound much different to RMAing a drive to Seagate or Western Digital. They also have very specific packaging and labelling requirements.

Is Samsung paying for the carriage in both directions?

yep they paying for the delivery and pickup which is better than I seen some other companies do, I think its only right for shipping to be covered by warranty.

My issue is the communication issues from samsung and the lack of advanced RMA. The rest of it is probably understandable.

Also when you ring the number there is no ssd option, adding to the obscureness, I picked the memory card option.

Soldato
I've RMA'd quite a few drives over the last 30-ish years and I think I've had to pay outward shipping on them all. Getting it covered by the manufacturer is definitely a bonus.

I've had a few advance replacements over the years, but more often than not it hasn't been offered. It can get expensive as well if anything happens with the return of the faulty drive. They'll almost certainly be charging you more than you'd expect to pay from OcUK or any other reseller.

It's a shame they seem to be doing so badly on the communication side of things.

Soldato
OP
Well

The RMA status changed to complete on the status page in only one day, it was so quick I wondered if it simply meant accepted the shipment to them.

I had no email updates other than confirmation ssd arrived.

Now on the status page they have shipped it back. No email sent to me, as to the result of their testing so I will know probably tomorrow or friday I guess, when I see if its the same ssd returned. But not the quoted 10 days for testing.

On tracking its still in holland. So I think tomorrow or friday for delivery.

Soldato
OP
Samsung have returned the same drive, very basic notes saying, firmware updated and device adjusted according to specification (whatever that means).

Not sure I want to trust a drive that locked up during i/o and then randomly failed to detect on post and then corrupted boot files.

I would if they offered an explanation but they havent.

Soldato
OP
I think you know what I meant.

There is a difference in not trusting a drive to last forever, and expecting a drive to not work properly the moment you start using it.

I expect a reason given for what happened in this situation, or at least a suggestion. Also the drive was sent out with 17 crc errors and came back with over 20k.

If the firmware was the reason (old firmware bug known to cause lockup, random post failures etc.) should be in a report, but no such information is provided.

Instead it feels like a generic test has been run, and firmware upgraded as part of a scripted process.

In two minds at the moment to sell it and replace it (significantly discounted with declared RMA, or to give it another chance). I have also asked samsung for more detail into what they did and if they do have any reasoning for the symptoms I reported. If they come up with something to reassure me I will give the dive another chance.

Back
Top Bottom