850w fully modular gold?

Associate
it's been years since building a proper rig... like q6600 old lol...

am I right in thinking these days as long as its gold certified and a proper brand the sky is the limit as long as its a known decent brand and just choose whatever has the same features and is the biggest bargain/on offer?
what is coil wine I keep hearing about this on gpus and now psu's?
some people say it's normal some say it's a problem? I've no idea in the first place how to identify it as I don't know what it is nor if it's bad and something I'd need to send back if it develops it or does it out of the box?

Associate
it's been years since building a proper rig... like q6600 old lol...

am I right in thinking these days as long as its gold certified and a proper brand the sky is the limit as long as its a known decent brand and just choose whatever has the same features and is the biggest bargain/on offer?
some people say it's normal some say it's a problem? I've no idea in the first place how to identify it as I don't know what it is nor if it's bad and something I'd need to send back if it develops it or does it out of the box?
Lots to unpack there.

How old is your current PSU? Does it need replacing? What are your full system specs? Do you actually need 850 watts?

Coin whine is subjective and can be how good your actual electrical supply is. That being said, certain products are coil whine guaranteed, such as the 3080 FE.

It's not necessarily a problem but it can be annoying.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback, JollyJamma haha I only have 2 macbook pro's these days I haven't built a pc since the q6600 days, been messing around with modifying cars for the last 13 years... Now I want to build something again!
So those gigabyte's are crap are they? interesting... I've always got on well with Corsair and hear their psu's are decent especially the SFF ones for what they are? hopefully the RM850 140mm fan fully modular 80plus gold should do me well with a tiny bit of headroom in the future but for £99.99 from sold elsewhere I'm not too bothered if I have to replace it in a few years for a beefier card. as long as no spikes mess with it from a 3080 12gb I should be happy enough I reckon!

Associate
Thanks for the feedback, JollyJamma haha I only have 2 macbook pro's these days I haven't built a pc since the q6600 days, been messing around with modifying cars for the last 13 years... Now I want to build something again!
So those gigabyte's are crap are they? interesting... I've always got on well with Corsair and hear their psu's are decent especially the SFF ones for what they are? hopefully the RM850 140mm fan fully modular 80plus gold should do me well with a tiny bit of headroom in the future but for £99.99 from sold elsewhere I'm not too bothered if I have to replace it in a few years for a beefier card. as long as no spikes mess with it from a 3080 12gb I should be happy enough I reckon!
Not all Gigabyte PSUs are rubbish, they were just in the headlines of late because they had 2 models of PSUs that would catch on fire or blow up and take components with them.

Gigabyte died on a hill trying to justify their poor products.

Gamers Nexus did a deep dive if you want to know more.

Never had an issue with Corsair support if a product of theirs fails though.

Associate
OP
Not all Gigabyte PSUs are rubbish, they were just in the headlines of late because they had 2 models of PSUs that would catch on fire or blow up and take components with them.

Gigabyte died on a hill trying to justify their poor products.

Gamers Nexus did a deep dive if you want to know more.

Never had an issue with Corsair support if a product of theirs fails though.
I heard about this with the silverstone 800w and 1000w SFF format psu's? sounds mental to me in this day and age! and beyond dangerous! pair that with watercooling failure and yeah... NICE!

Man of Honour

If you have half an hour, you might like this:

Associate
OP
If you have half an hour, you might like this:
sounds like people making excuses for overpriced chinese produced tat and hiding behind the fact it's powerful hardware/"a known brand". this never happened with old stuff that was slow vs power draw. madness!

Associate
I am upgrading my PSU because of the 3080’s transient spikes.

Undervolting helped but the 650W PSU can only take so much hehe. Old school thinking… Bigger the better!

Associate
I am upgrading my PSU because of the 3080’s transient spikes.

Undervolting helped but the 650W PSU can only take so much hehe. Old school thinking… Bigger the better!
I recently discoved this was my issue with random power off's, Seasonic Focus PSU's don't handle the power jumps from the RTX3 series cards, however after some digging I'm reluctant to go for another Seasonic as they're washing their hands of the fact their suipposed top end PSU's rated at 850W+ are cutting out with spikes to around 600W! Their advice to turn off motherboard OPC is a joke. After some research, I'm currenty leaning towards the Corsair HX1000 units as they seem a decent all-rounder with solid reviews.

Associate
OP
I recently discoved this was my issue with random power off's, Seasonic Focus PSU's don't handle the power jumps from the RTX3 series cards, however after some digging I'm reluctant to go for another Seasonic as they're washing their hands of the fact their suipposed top end PSU's rated at 850W+ are cutting out with spikes to around 600W! Their advice to turn off motherboard OPC is a joke. After some research, I'm currenty leaning towards the Corsair HX1000 units as they seem a decent all-rounder with solid reviews.
their SFF 800-1000w's seem to all literally explode and cause fires/burn your pc... check the reviews it's shocking. I thought they were supposed to be a good brand! and this isn't the odd 1/2 doing it...

Man of Honour

My understanding was that this only applied to the original Focus PSUs and the later models have addressed it, have they not?

Associate
My understanding was that this only applied to the original Focus PSUs and the later models have addressed it, have they not?
Well, my PSU is only around 12-18 months old and seems to be affected, perhaps I was unlucky and got the last of a bad bunch. If this is the case then it re-opens my choices for high-end PSU as Seasojnic do have a rep as high-end

Man of Honour
Well, my PSU is only around 12-18 months old and seems to be affected, perhaps I was unlucky and got the last of a bad bunch. If this is the case then it re-opens my choices for high-end PSU as Seasojnic do have a rep as high-end

It was primarily the Focus Gold Plus models, I think, not the Focus GX. Is yours a Focus GX?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I bought a Phanteks 850w. Seasonic make these so cant be a million miles from a Focus. Not had any power issues so far. As @Tetras said I thought it was a timeframe of their stock they shared, think it was before the Ampere gen was released.

Back
Top Bottom