850w fully modular gold?

Associate
I recently discoved this was my issue with random power off's, Seasonic Focus PSU's don't handle the power jumps from the RTX3 series cards, however after some digging I'm reluctant to go for another Seasonic as they're washing their hands of the fact their suipposed top end PSU's rated at 850W+ are cutting out with spikes to around 600W! Their advice to turn off motherboard OPC is a joke. After some research, I'm currenty leaning towards the Corsair HX1000 units as they seem a decent all-rounder with solid reviews.
I got an ITX build so I got a Silverstone SX1000 on order. This will cover my current build and any future ITX builds.

My 650W PSU is from Seasonic.

Soldato
I've been using Seasonic PSU's since the X650 Gold was released in 2009, i've honestly got at the moment.

2 x X650's gold
2 x X750's gold
1 x X1050 gold
1 x Prime P760 Platinum
1 x Prime 750 Titanium

Some of these PSU's are in redundant computers that are mothballed (I should strip and sell parts really), some in HTPC's, some in home servers. I've never had any issue with coil wine from a Seasonic, however had power on issues with a Seasonic G550 and a Platinum P660, both those PSU's were returned. I guess I'm a Seasonic fan boy lol , but the PSU's work, don't burn your house down, silent, and computers tend to be stable. Of course there are other good PSU's but I like Seasonic. As an added bonus most of the cables from older Seasonic's still work on the newer Seasonics.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I have had three (one being a phanteks) and before that a Corsair. If you shop about you can always get one of the top makes for not many pennies more than an average unit. With the way GPU's are going this and next gen your better off overspeccing it so upgrades or adding components will never stress it as much. Gold should be efficient enough, if platinum are similar priced and you leave your machine on all day then its a consideration (but they are normally overpriced so not worth that extra outlay over gold).

Associate
I've been using Seasonic PSU's since the X650 Gold was released in 2009, i've honestly got at the moment.

2 x X650's gold
2 x X750's gold
1 x X1050 gold
1 x Prime P760 Platinum
1 x Prime Titanium

Some of these PSU's are in reductant computers that are mothballed (I should strip and sell parts really), some in HTPC's, some in home servers. I've never had any issue with coil wine from a Seasonic, however had power on issues with a Seasonic G550 and a Platinum P660, both those PSU's were returned. I guess I'm a Seasonic fan boy lol , but the PSU's work, don't burn your house down, silent, and computers tend to be stable. Of course there are other good PSU's but just stick with Seasonic.
Did you actually read what I posted? They are NOT stable and are in fact crapping out at well UNDER their rated maximum capacities on the FOCUS ranges!!! With an RTX3080 they will RANDOMLY power down shut-off due to "overloading" the OPC at around 600W of load! Hardly stable for an 850W PSU. Guess you are a fan boy, blinded by the name, sorry. I'll likely not buy a seasonic ever again, I've found an enormous amount of info where SS are washing their hands of it. ****** stance from what is supposed to be a premium manufacturer.

Soldato
Did you actually read what I posted? They are NOT stable and are in fact crapping out at well UNDER their rated maximum capacities on the FOCUS ranges!!! With an RTX3080 they will RANDOMLY power down shut-off due to "overloading" the OPC at around 600W of load! Hardly stable for an 850W PSU. Guess you are a fan boy, blinded by the name, sorry. I'll likely not buy a seasonic ever again, I've found an enormous amount of info where SS are washing their hands of it. ****** stance from what is supposed to be a premium manufacturer.
I did read what you wrote, however I don't own a Focus. I am tending to agree with you, that the cheaper Seasonics are not the same quality as the Primes (or those original X series).

I did have a Seasonic G550 (not made any more) that I purchased on offer, and that had a power on issue, Seasonic sent a replacement however I resold the replacement G550 as felt the quality did not match my other Seasonics.

Associate
I did read what you wrote, however I don't own a Focus. I am tending to agree with you, that the cheaper Seasonics are not the same quality as the Primes (or those original X series).

I did have a Seasonic G550 (not made any more) that I purchased on offer, and that had a power on issue, Seasonic sent a replacement however I resold the replacement G550 as felt the quality did not match my other Seasonics.
Apologies if I came across terse, I'm still kinda bitter about having to shell out when I should have a perfectly useable PSU. It's £200 I really didn't want to have to part with but when you need a stable PC for working (and gaming) from home it's annoying to shell out based on what appears to be over-stating from a manufacturer about what their PSU can _actually_ deliver. Sorry if I was a bit blunt. Anyway, just pulled the trigger on a Corsair HX1000, hopefully that'll deliver as promied on the box :)

Back
Top Bottom