• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8600k @ 5.0ghz worth upgrading to 9700k?

Soldato
No probs with my system just a bit bored and cash burning a hole...

Plus rare chance intel stay on same socket and chipset for once!

I only ever get i5s for gaming but the next i7 as we all know loses HT so I'd be looking at the 9700k.

Only be interested at~ £350 or less.

Worth it? Don't play Sims just any AAA solo games.
PUBG can rot in hell I'm done with that game

Or save up for 7nm GPUs lol.

Soldato

I only ever get i5s for gaming but the next i7 as we all know loses HT so I'd be looking at the 9700k.

Id be extremely surprised if the new 9700k comes in at under £350... id be surprised if its under £450 to be honest lol.

Soldato
Id be extremely surprised if the new 9700k comes in at under £350... id be surprised if its under £450 to be honest lol.
You never know but I'd be inclined to agree.

For games, I can't really see the point as the extra 2 cores is not going to make a whole lot of difference but for other fully threaded tasks then it could be a nice ~30% boost if you can get all cores to 5Ghz as you have now. If you've got the cash it's always nice to get new tech (needed or otherwise) ;)

Soldato
OP
I got coffeelake soon after release as was on ageing 2500k system and prices were a fair bit higher than they are now.
Also the 8600k has better thermals and the 8700k was only faster in specific games like the Witcher and few others which I don't play.
I like i5's for their bang for the buck.

Soldato
Is there anything your cpu is currently struggling at? I doubt it at 5GHz with that RAM. Cpu wise you should have no issues pushing 120hz on your panel and limitation will be with the GPU normally. If the 8600k is struggling at 5 GHz then you can bet the 8700k and 8 cores will be similar for most the part as usually it’s the single core performance that will be the limit and as they all have identical single core performance anyways....

Probs get better performance from your setup by selling the 1080 for a 1080ti or something

Soldato
OP
No it's not struggling you're right I probs will wait for 7nm NV GPUs as am no doubt GPU limited than CPU.

Just wanted something to tinker with for all of five minutes hehe

Soldato
No it's not struggling you're right I probs will wait for 7nm NV GPUs as am no doubt GPU limited than CPU.

Just wanted something to tinker with for all of five minutes hehe

Yeah, think most on here can relate to that :p

Did same thing a while back, moved from the 4790k to 8700k in a secondary rig. Pointless upgrade as its connected to a 60hz 4k panel and GPU was the limit and 4790k was fine, but gotta scratch that itch and have a new shiny to play with :p

Soldato
Most 9900k I've seen running 5.2ghz under water .

And that's about 4 out of 4 haha .

Thats not overly impressive though really from a soldered chip that clocks standardly to 5ghz.. an extra 200mhz requiring water is not really groundshaking... not when the 8700k hits 5ghz and the 8086k also hits 5.1/5.2 etc...

Im mean sure, its an extra 2 cores etc, but its soldered for a start, i was hoping to see some crazy 5.5ghz under water business from the 9900k, 5.2 while impressive is a bit underwhelming given the previous high end 8 series chips and factoring in the solder.

Soldato
Might do, believe they were all final engineering samples , ones for media should be sent out or are out so could push higher.

What's more annoying was seeing the CPUz snap shots of voltage, 1.39 but Benchmarks had just been run, not running .

I hope 9700k does well personally and 1st and second gen i5/7 owners most likely the target audience , and those that do upgrade get a nice boost

Mobster
Soldato

9700k doesn't have HT either

Associate
From a 8600k to a 9700k I don't think I'd bother, I have the same 8600k , the only one I might go for is the 9900k as that should offer a larger leap.

Back
Top Bottom