• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K good enough for 6800XT

Associate
As thread title. Is my 8700k powerful enough for my new 6800XT? As obviously the new Ryzen cpus offer more features that the 6800XT can utilise over the 8700k but would an upgrade be worth the cost and would I see noticeable performance increase. Thanks

Soldato
What resolution will you be playing at? If it's 1440p or higher and you already have the 8700k I don't think you will see a noticeable difference.

Unless it's handicapped somehow with really slow RAM

Associate
OP
Playing at 4K and I've already got the 8700k, bought it when they were released. Ram is running 3200 and the cpu is overclocked to 4.5 running nice a stable.

Soldato
I think a 4.5Ghz clock on an 8700K is modest to be honest. I'm shure you can get more if you try. Without knowing what ram you have, the 8700K can certainly run higher.
As to your question, of course your 8700K is good enough for your 6800XT. Of course you can make use of Zen 5000 "features" by changing platform. But will you see life/game changing differences ? No, not really. What you will be though is £1000+ lighter in the wallet.

Associate
OP
I probably could get more out of it but to be honest when it comes to overclocking I'm a bit of a beginner. £1000 is a lot of money for not much gain think ill be sticking with the 8700k for a while.

Soldato
I probably could get more out of it but to be honest when it comes to overclocking I'm a bit of a beginner. £1000 is a lot of money for not much gain think ill be sticking with the 8700k for a while.
Should be good for a couple more years yet by which time PCIe gen 5.0 and ddr5 will have had time to bed in and should be a nice upgrade at that point.

Might be worth checking if any new bios updates are out for your board which let you enable resizable bar for your 6800XT as that may give you a few extra fps in certain games.

Associate
The 8700k automatically boosts to 4.7ghz so 4.5 isnt exactly a overclock?
I think it boosts to 4.7 on a single core, not all cores.
I've had mine at 4.5Ghz on all cores also from when I bought it 3 years ago, yes there's room for more but it's a solid performer at that speed, I did have it running @ 4.9Ghz for benchmarks and it held up fine to be fair.

Soldato
I've had mine at 4.5Ghz on all cores also from when I bought it 3 years ago, yes there's room for more but it's a solid performer at that speed, I did have it running @ 4.9Ghz for benchmarks and it held up fine to be fair.
Ah right yes think your right about the single cores, i changed my to sync all cores and its been fine, I noticed the other day it was running rather hot upto 95C on some cores despite using a H115 cooler, I repasted it and was the same, then under volted it by -52.7mV and its never gone above 70c whilst staying just as stable, i constanlty keep thinking about changing it but its still a decent chip

Associate
I just went from a 8700k to a 5800x.

not really a lot of difference if I'm honest.. but the 8700k still lives on in my pc that is in work.

I have noticed a lot better lows in FPS and probably a little bit smoother. i play at 1440p

Associate
8700K at 4.8GHz here recently coupled with a 6800 XT at 1440p/240Hz and it's running beautifully. At 4K you'd scarcely notice the difference if at all. As others have said you could try and squeeze a little more out of the CPU clock wise but either way it's still easily powerful enough.

Associate
I just went from a 8700k to a 5800x.

not really a lot of difference if I'm honest.. but the 8700k still lives on in my pc that is in work.

I have noticed a lot better lows in FPS and probably a little bit smoother. i play at 1440p
Yeah I notice the lows when doing some benchmarks, that's what drops the scores a little but still a very capable CPU.

Soldato

If the OP's motherboard has MCE or equivalent, it'll do 4.7GHz all core on auto all day long. At least then they're not losing the single core speed.

Back
Top Bottom