8700k OC - VRM temps are stress test?

Associate
Hi all,

I have a delidded 8700k running liquid metal and a rockit replacement copper IHS. All watercooled up and holding low 60c ish running at 4.9ghz 1.32v during prime 95 v26.6 small stress test. The Mobo I have is Gigabyte Z370m D3h rev1.0. It seems to not be one people recommend for OC but it runs 4.9ghz fine for weeks so far.

I can run Prime 95 v26.6 small test non stop with no issues. I have a noctua 120mm fan blasting the VRM heat sinks and it settles at 83c with ambient of 22c in the room.

However when I run the modern Prime 95 (v29.4) and small torture test, the PC is stable but the VRMs ramp up to 100c+ quite quickly (say within 3 mins) so I usually shut it down.

I managed to get the room ambient down to 12c due to the cold weather and under that same test the VRMs flattened out at 103c and held there for 20+ mins. So that showed to me that it was relatively stable and under control if I could keep the VRMs at a temp that my inexperienced head suggested was okay (just over 100c).

Is anyone willing to share the VRM temps they are seeing under a proper stress test of their OC 8700k?

I'd love to hear them for my own information and research. I'm trying to work out if it would be worth the fun project of advancing the cooling of these VRMs further.

I do appreciate from what I read on here that a better Mob would have a better VRM power phasing and therefore may run cooler and more stable VRMs for the same voltage and overclock? Challenge at this point is to see if I can work with what I have and if not then new mobo is on the menu I guess.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers!
Steven_RW

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I have a delidded 8700k running liquid metal and a rockit replacement copper IHS. All watercooled up and holding low 60c ish running at 4.9ghz 1.32v during prime 95 v26.6 small stress test. The Mobo I have is Gigabyte Z370m D3h rev1.0. It seems to not be one people recommend for OC but it runs 4.9ghz fine for weeks so far.

I can run Prime 95 v26.6 small test non stop with no issues. I have a noctua 120mm fan blasting the VRM heat sinks and it settles at 83c with ambient of 22c in the room.

However when I run the modern Prime 95 (v29.4) and small torture test, the PC is stable but the VRMs ramp up to 100c+ quite quickly (say within 3 mins) so I usually shut it down.

I managed to get the room ambient down to 12c due to the cold weather and under that same test the VRMs flattened out at 103c and held there for 20+ mins. So that showed to me that it was relatively stable and under control if I could keep the VRMs at a temp that my inexperienced head suggested was okay (just over 100c).

Is anyone willing to share the VRM temps they are seeing under a proper stress test of their OC 8700k?

I'd love to hear them for my own information and research. I'm trying to work out if it would be worth the fun project of advancing the cooling of these VRMs further.

I do appreciate from what I read on here that a better Mob would have a better VRM power phasing and therefore may run cooler and more stable VRMs for the same voltage and overclock? Challenge at this point is to see if I can work with what I have and if not then new mobo is on the menu I guess.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers!
Steven_RW

Have Gigabyte ITX , mine hit 116c with AVX stress test, changes pads and dropped 10+ degrees... though whilst GAMING. nothing above 70c .

Unless your doing video/photo editing or rendering which cause max CPU stress - VRMs should be fine when gaming

and my board has the least VRM available due to space :D

Back
Top Bottom