• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K OcUK Stock and Binned Processors

Associate
As we are all aware the 'tock' 8700K processor has come out......Rushed.....Will take a few months to cone out properly.

Are all inbound stock CPU's tested by OCUk and 'binned'? Because I cant seem to find an alternate method? It puts me off of ordering a CPU off of you for this reason.

Soldato
The tested/binned chips will be oem/tray stock not retail boxed chips, I can't see them opening retail boxed chips to be honest.

There is a post around here, with 8Pack saying that they opened retail boxes and converted them to binned/delided "not boxed" ones.

As we are all aware the 'tock' 8700K processor has come out......Rushed.....Will take a few months to cone out properly.

Are all inbound stock CPU's tested by OCUk and 'binned'? Because I cant seem to find an alternate method? It puts me off of ordering a CPU off of you for this reason.

Stock there might be some in November, then end of December apparently, according to some retails. If OCUK goes and opens again all the retail boxes to sell binned processors only I have no idea.

Imho buy a retail box one at the correct price, don't buy it overpriced for the sake of it. Already some are putting up prices by £100.
Per se the CPU ain't worth 360 let alone 460.

Soldato
From what i seen even OCUK were only sold 30 8700k's to sell. So they delidded and binned them, which IMO is fine and Gibbo explained why it was done.

OcUK Staff
Usually we only bin oem system assigned chips. This time and only while the shortage exists will we bin retail. These cpu then either go for sale as binned or into systems and bundles.

Associate
Usually we only bin oem system assigned chips. This time and only while the shortage exists will we bin retail. These cpu then either go for sale as binned or into systems and bundles.

THIS.... JUST WOW!!

What an awful way to treat your customers, it's not good enough you make profit by selling the damn things in the first place at RRP?

Whilst the shortage exists, you are capitalising by opening retail boxes, testing them and selling them for an extra £440 (£799) for a 5.2Ghz CPU, which should by all rights have landed in the lap of a customer for £359. I'm genuinely shocked that OCUK are milking their customers this way.

Sell Retail CPU's at RRP. Your literally slapping on hundreds of pounds because there is a shortage - It's like ticket touts buying up concert tickets to make a few hundred quid profit and robbing a fan of the opportunity to see their favourite band.

Retail boxed CPU's should be for retail customers to take the silicon lottery, sometimes win and sometime lose, that's our choice. Taking this away from us you may as well band every single CPU up and charge and become as low as silicon lottery pre binned sites.

Tinker all you want with OEM as long as it doesn't effect customers abilities to buy a CPU or any other hardware for that matter.

Ethically its wrong. I'm going to make a complaint.

Last edited:
Associate
THIS.... JUST WOW!!

What an awful way to treat your customers, it's not good enough you make profit by selling the damn things in the first place at RRP?

INFACT im that angry, i'm going to make a formal complaint.

I wouldn't bother mate, they are a business and whilst post sales customer service is excellent there is no rules regarding pre-sales. If people are willing to pay 3 or 400 more for a tested product they are going to pay it regardless and the business are going to capitalise on it.

Whilst it is annoying it makes sense from a business point of view. People were willing to pay ridiculous money for the chips and OcUK would rather take their money than letting a competitor.

Associate
I wouldn't bother mate, they are a business and whilst post sales customer service is excellent there is no rules regarding pre-sales. If people are willing to pay 3 or 400 more for a tested product they are going to pay it regardless and the business are going to capitalise on it.

Whilst it is annoying it makes sense from a business point of view. People were willing to pay ridiculous money for the chips and OcUK would rather take their money than letting a competitor.

The OP can't buy the CPU he wants unless he pulls out and extra £440 for it. @ 1,338 posts he aint new to the community here. If "we" in the OCUK community all accept this business practice then we become part of the problem, not the solution and it won't stop here....

This is why i shop at OCUK because their ethics are usually spot on when it comes to supply/demand, but this is unethical in my opinion.

"About us" -

About Overclockers UK
Focusing on the best performance hardware at competitive prices, Overclockers UK is famous throughout the enthusiast PC community

This type of practice makes if famous for all the wrong reasons, i hope they see the error of their ways.

Last edited:
Associate
THIS.... JUST WOW!!

Whilst the shortage exists, you are capitalising by opening retail boxes, testing them and selling them for an extra £440 (£799) for a 5.2Ghz CPU, which should by all rights have landed in the lap of a customer for £359. I'm genuinely shocked that OCUK are milking their customers this way.

Sell Retail CPU's at RRP. Your literally slapping on hundreds of pounds because there is a shortage - It's like ticket touts buying up concert tickets to make a few hundred quid profit and robbing a fan of the opportunity to see their favourite band.

Retail boxed CPU's should be for retail customers to take the silicon lottery, sometimes win and sometime lose, that's our choice. Taking this away from us you may as well band every single CPU up and charge and become as low as silicon lottery pre binned sites.

Tinker all you want with OEM as long as it doesn't effect customers abilities to buy a CPU or any other hardware for that matter.

Ethically its wrong. I'm going to make a complaint.

Unfortunately all you'll get is the "It's a business" card played, ignoring the fact that in the long run ethics also plays a part for any businesses reputation.

What's worse is that it appears as though all of the chips did around 5ghz so you are paying extra for something that the chip already did. Charging 799 for a chip where the gains are essentially non existent also looks really bad for them. Yeah people were willing to pay it but it's still not right. The computer retail business is a law unto itself though, they do what they want.

Permabanned
The answer is buy it from somewhere else, it’s that simple you vote with your wallets.

It’s business, it’s may not be right but that’s the way it is. Ultimately they have no loyalty to you therefore you need not have any loyalty to them. Buy it from whoever sells it the cheapest imo.

Don
The OP can't buy the CPU he wants unless he pulls out and extra £440 for it.

With only 30 units at "normal" prices, the OP wouldn't have been able to buy one anyway. Look elsewhere all you like - has anywhere else got one? No - so even if you wanted one then it doesn't matter whether they were sold at RRP or not.

Fair play to OcUK for choosing to capitalise on it to make a small amount more margin (because the time delidding, testing and binning is free right?), on a product that has a historically tiny margin (~2% i think was mentioned before).

Associate
The answer is buy it from somewhere else, it’s that simple you vote with your wallets.

It’s business, it’s may not be right but that’s the way it is. Ultimately they have no loyalty to you therefore you need not have any loyalty to them. Buy it from whoever sells it the cheapest imo.
Spot on mate .ill grab mine were i can get it the cheapest.

Associate
With only 30 units at "normal" prices, the OP wouldn't have been able to buy one anyway. Look elsewhere all you like - has anywhere else got one? No - so even if you wanted one then it doesn't matter whether they were sold at RRP or not.

Fair play to OcUK for choosing to capitalise on it to make a small amount more margin (because the time delidding, testing and binning is free right?), on a product that has a historically tiny margin (~2% i think was mentioned before).

How many retail boxes have been opened and gone into pre-binned sales or systems and bundles which customers should have had ? How many pre-orders would this have satisfied ?!

I dont have an issue with pre-binned from OEM and OCUK making profit , just not from Retail boxes - taking this away from us its abysmal.

Back
Top Bottom