£8k for a 2002 330d sport with 46k?

Man of Honour
If this car is absolutely genuine, you would be a muppet to pass it up.

If you pass it up please send me the details and I'll buy it :p

Permabanned
lordrobs said:
Its a tricky one. A five year old car with say 120k on it could well have had the same amount of use as a car of the same age with 40k. It could well have had the same number of cold starts, same number of times someones got in or out of the drivers seat, same number of gear changes, engines been run for the same amount of time etc etc... the list goes on and on. The differece is most likely as simple as one has spent x time on the motorway averaging 60mph over the course of the day whereas the other has spent x time around town averaging 20mph. In effect the wear on both would be comparable.

Anyway, this is off topic so sorry. As for the car the op spoke about, if it seems too good to be true it more often than not is.
Absolutely, I know a high mileage car which is all motorway miles will tend to be in much better shape than a low mileage one which has only been driven to and from the shops all its life. But as a general rule, lower mileage is better. 140k miles is a hell of a lot whatever spin someone wants to put on it :)

But yes, back on topic ;)

Soldato
Rilot said:
I'm with Fox on this one. I'd take a 200,000 mile BMW over a 10,000 mile Clio any day of the week. I'd also be happy to pay twice as much for it.

Anyway, back on topic. Seems dodgy to me.

Im no BMW fan, but I also totally agree.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
Absolutely, I know a high mileage car which is all motorway miles will tend to be in much better shape than a low mileage one which has only been driven to and from the shops all its life. But as a general rule, lower mileage is better. 140k miles is a hell of a lot whatever spin someone wants to put on it :)

Yea, its had such a hard life even the main dealer couldnt find anything that was worn or needed replacement.

Permabanned
OP
jamoor said:

Magazine (South / South West). Not seen it on t'interweb which makes me wonder

Ones on there are a few for that price, but closest i've seen is 2001 with 63k, its an SE for 7600

Soldato
Trinity said:
Magazine (South / South West). Not seen it on t'interweb which makes me wonder

Ones on there are a few for that price, but closest i've seen is 2001 with 63k, its an SE for 7600
Could be why it hasn't sold if its not on the web as I haven't used the magazine in years. Last few cars I have bought have all been off the website as usually the best cars go very quick, leaving no time for paper publication.

Infact I sold my civic vti last week in 24hrs of putting it on the web for almost the asking price, didn't even bother paying for a publication issue, just £17 for 2 weeks web.

Soldato
djjuk said:
If its genuine, then snap it up m8. Absolute steal :eek:

Although it does seem strange, these things do happen!

True although it may depend if the person has tried to get a PX value with it and been offered silly money like 6.5-7k (not out of the question) In which case the paper add may seem fair.

Could depend on many things but as per usual - too good to be true usually is.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I love the confidence with which you feel you can say a car thats priced a staggering £5000 below book price is a 'good buy'. Personally I think it smells decidedly dodgy.

I did not spend a penny of my student loan on buying my car, but, nice try.

I wonder whose car is in better condition, my 'moon mileage' car or your age-old hatchback with 'low mileage'?

Keep going then, only another 0.4 seconds to go ;)

I love people like you, its people with your mindsets irrational obsession with a row of meaningless numbers on the odometer that mean people like me can buy £36,000 cars for £7k when one with half mileage on thats spent its life having trolleys rammed into it in town and kids in the back with no warranty would have cost £12k.

Was it your insecurity over driving an old 306 that led you to make a dig at other members cars in a thread where they had not even been mentioned, or do you just enjoy a nice morning troll ;)

I enjoy winding you up, correct ;) + I said my car would keep up not quicker ;)

Back
Top Bottom