8Pack Elite Z270 - Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.00Ghz - Overclocked Kabylake Bundle. Not holding 5G overc

Associate
Hi
The guys in your tech dept suggested I post here for @8 Pack to comment.
The overclocked bundle has been working fine for 17 months but then started to get very erratic with programs closing down. After several phone calls to the tech dep they suggested I return the bundle for a re clock. I received the bundle back but it's still the same.

I reinstalled win10 to a raid 0 but then a cannot install the graphics driver. It fails to install.
I cannot install any of the motherboard drivers, just lots of fatal errors pop up. I cannot install the CAM software for the kraken x62 water cooler.

Once I reset the motherboard to optimised defaults I can install all of the above and they run fine.

If i load the overclock profile that you set I cannot load the Cam software, GPU Tweek will not load. I cannot open the UI of the IRST. Lots of fatal errors pop up. This is exactly the problem I was having before the bundle was returned.

I have successfully got the overclock to work ok at 4.8Ghz. All the software runs ok and I have stress tested it on 3dMark Time spy. It appears the CPU will not go above 4.8Ghz now, if I try 4.9Ghz it fails.

Regards
Roy

Last edited:
Soldato
8Pack may reply in here however here is my 50p

All electronic hardware degrades over time. As you have been using it in such severe circumstances ( pushed to 5GHZ) it's very likely that the cpu has unfortunately worn out over time and wont overclock to that anymore due to this natural process.

The same happens with ram over time becoming unstable. Usually the first thing i try when a system becomes unstable over a long period is dial back the overclocks on it.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys...it's an overclocked bundle with 24 month warranty!.. New overclocked bundles now have 36 month warranties!!

What is tagging someone and how do you do it?.

Soldato
Thanks guys...it's an overclocked bundle with 24 month warranty!.. New overclocked bundles now have 36 month warranties!!

What is tagging someone and how do you do it?.

Someone has already done it for you :),

It's a similar system to Twitter you @ and then their name and it will alert them ( if they have it set up to do so )

Im not sure if the warranty would cover degradation? Likely just a standard warranty that is used if the part completely dies.

Associate
OP
Does anyone know if there are warranty T&Cs published anywhere?
When would a failure be considered a failure or degradation? 2 months, 6 months etc?.

Soldato
They will be somewhere however I don’t know where I will @Gibbo he may know exactly where they are.

Of course the staff members here do this as a job so they may not get back to you today given it’s a Sunday and are hopefully all suffering severe hangovers :D!

Also i am guessing that you have been using the same voltage? Have you considered/tried giving it a little bit more ?

Soldato
Yeah I had a Celeron 366 @ 550 back in the day that I sold to a mate when it was practically brand new. After about 1.5 years of heavy gaming with it, it wouldn't overclock to 550 anymore, had to run it back at 366 so they can degrade over time.

Associate
OP
voltage at a stable 4.8Ghz is 1.355v..I tried 4.9Ghz with a voltage up to 1.375v but did like to push the voltage any more.
When it was running at 5Ghz I believe the voltage was 1.365.
I use this pc mainly for X-plane11 VR, strange but it all seems to be running faster, more fps at 4.8Ghz than when it was at 5Ghz.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Just an update to this;

He spoke to us on customer service and we had it back for testing. We replaced the CPU and re-overclocked now hes back up and running. :)!

Back
Top Bottom