1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

95 percent of music sold now is digital, rather than CD's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Angel, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

Anyone see that on the BBC news the other day? (TV, not the website).

They said that only 5 percent of music is now purchased on CD, the rest is digital mediums. On the other hand, this number goes to around 40 percent at christmas time apparently.

I was very shocked at the number O.o

Can that really be true?

2. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

CD is a digital medium =/

3. nikebee

Capodecina

Thought the same thing myself.

4. jasonmorris

Gangster

Think the story may be bogus as my missus does research for record companies and physical sales are still over 70% - probably just a spike for xmas and due to x-factor.

5. iBot

PermaBanned

i havent bought a cd since 1994.

CD is dying anyway. vinyl is making a comeback because it sounds "warmer".

6. Cookie-Monster

Mobster

I worked for a record company a couple of years ago, and think that rather than saying digital or otherwise, look at physical and not physical

two years ago it was around 90% physical and think that in excess of 70% still makes sense for physical, there would be no money in significant retail operations or origination costs if 95% of sales were not CD based

7. Hxc

Capodecina

Unless we are waaaaay ahead of the US on this that's completely false. A recent part of my blogging job was Digital Music, and the figures in the US show that it's currently only 18% downloads.... with 41% predicted for 2013. (source: JupiterResearch )

I was fairly suprised by how low the US figures were, so it's possible they are wrong.

8. Bes

Soldato

No, they were talking about singles sales.

9. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

Digial medium as in downloading from Itunes is what they mean I assume (for example).

10. Ciphon

Wise Guy

I'd believe that with ease... cant remember the last time I bought a CD...

11. jasonmorris

Gangster

That would be x-factor then - highest ever sales for a digital download. Physical single sales has been in rapid decline for the last few years.

12. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Which makes the figures perfectly normal, the traditional market for singles has always been the young as older consumers have been much more likely to purchase albums and the young have been the first to embrace itunes and the like. The reason for the spike in physical single sales at Christmas is probably the X-Factor as your mum/granny are much more likely to go to the shops and buy Alexandra's single than download it.

Album sales will remain high on CD I suspect until someone offers a decent high quality (ie lossless) doanload service without DRM which allows you to download a new copy every time you loose one in your latest hard disk disaster.

13. starfighter

Mobster

HaHa. Pwned.

I also heard that stores like HMV et al only survive on computer games and movies. Mainly computer games.

Who are the geeks now ey. We were right all along. Now the masses are catching up 10 years late...

14. Sic

Capodecina

heh, that's what I thought.

I only buy CDs - sod crappy bitrate DRM'd downloads.

15. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I imagine the boom over Christmas is actually to do with purchasing physical presents.

16. Tomsk

Soldato

I don't believe that figure. ALL my music purchases have been CD (previously vinyl).

17. Glaucus

Man of Honour

It probably is digital and thus includes cd's.

If that's true it sounds about right. Only 5% vinyl and maybe a few tapes.

18. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

"Pwned" would indicate that I was wrong, I wasn't. I simply didn't explain myself well enough in the opening post.

However, I still am shocked by how it is progressing at the moment - I would like to get some numbers on game downloads via for example steam rather than physical game purchases in highstreet stores...

19. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

As far as I heard on the BBC news, from when I was watching it, they said 5 percent are CD sales, and the rest are basically downloads and whatever, maybe I mis-heard, the news caster mis spoke, but I am 100 percent certain that is the wording used, because if they said only 5 percent are on vinyl I would not have even been slightly surprised.

20. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Also on bbc news
    That sounds like a better figure