95 percent of music sold now is digital, rather than CD's

Associate
Sorry to labour the point but any quoted figures that say 'digital' do not include physical products such as CD or Vinyl. I worked for EMI for 14 years and my missus 18 years (she did the data for the BPI).

Soldato
OP
Sorry to labour the point but any quoted figures that say 'digital' do not include physical products such as CD or Vinyl. I worked for EMI for 14 years and my missus 18 years (she did the data for the BPI).

That is what I always figured, CD's are digital, but I don't think they are digital sales? I don't know though either way, I guess you do though :p

Soldato
As far as I heard on the BBC news, from when I was watching it, they said 5 percent are CD sales, and the rest are basically downloads and whatever, maybe I mis-heard, the news caster mis spoke, but I am 100 percent certain that is the wording used, because if they said only 5 percent are on vinyl I would not have even been slightly surprised.

I was saying the BBC were pwned but if you wish to take responsibility then so be it, you were pwned. Infact double Pwn.;)

Soldato
It probably is digital and thus includes cd's.

If that's true it sounds about right. Only 5% vinyl and maybe a few tapes.

thats possible, but then the statement is contradictory, i think they class downloads in digital, and all other forms as other. just for the majority of people can more easily understand.

i think digital is used more as a description of delivery systems, i.e internet or whatever, rather than actual digital data... would a A4 piece of paper containing zeroes and ones be digital?

Last edited:
Soldato
don't beleive it, Download sales will never overtake CD sales due to price comparison it costs about the same amount and their is no advantage over having download over disc (plus many drm issues with popular download services)

Man of Honour
thats possible, but then the statement is contradictory, i think they class downloads in digital, and all other forms as other. just for the majority of people can more easily understand.

Yep, I just think the OP miss heard. As I can't find anything on the bbc website.

Man of Honour
As far as I heard on the BBC news, from when I was watching it, they said 5 percent are CD sales, and the rest are basically downloads and whatever, maybe I mis-heard, the news caster mis spoke, but I am 100 percent certain that is the wording used, because if they said only 5 percent are on vinyl I would not have even been slightly surprised.

Maybe they are including estimates for illegal downloads, probably inflated.

Maybe they are counting every track separately when downloaded but an album or albums on CD as a single item.

Maybe they're including mobile phone ringtones. There's a lot of music downloads.

Back
Top Bottom