95 percent of music sold now is digital, rather than CD's

Soldato
Well 100% of my music is bought as CD, and have never wasted money on a digital download in my life.

DRM, low bitrate crap that disappears if your HDD goes. No chance in hell will I ever change in this day and age.

Soldato
DRM, low bitrate crap that disappears if your HDD goes. No chance in hell will I ever change in this day and age.

backup?

and as several people have said low bitrate, what is the bitrate of cd vs download, i dont really download music atall, just listen to a few mixes people i know make they are all like 192kbps

edit.. checked my sources

Bitrate: 320 Kbps, 44,1kHz
193 Kbps Avg / 44.1 KHz / Joint Stereo

95% of them say VBRkbps :(

Last edited:
Soldato
backup?

and as several people have said low bitrate, what is the bitrate of cd vs download, i dont really download music atall, just listen to a few mixes people i know make they are all like 192kbps

edit.. checked my sources

95% of them say VBRkbps :(

Wasting my time backing up something I have paid for, then backup again just incase the house burns down, maybe backup to another country. But then again the cheap cds might not work in a few years anyway etc etc. Also, if my house does burn down I will be able to claim the cds off the insurance, I doubt you could claim thousands of itunes downloaded songs that got burned to a crisp on the HDD and cd backups (not totally sure how it works ?) If i want to backup a CD, I can do so to .flac and have a perfect copy, then can backup to my hearts content. But these days only 1 CD of mine skips, and that is on 2 of the songs. They have been looked after, but not kept in a vault and have many scratches. Pretty damn durable tbh.

The price is still to high considering the price of a real physical copy, and then the quality. I do have to say here that I have a very decent Hi-Fi and i can tell the difference between even 320kbps and cd, believe me I have tried :D

So to sum it up, paying for DRM, lower quality, more expensive, and less secure than a cd. No way hose, itunes and the others can carry on fleecing the uneducated :D

Last edited:
Associate
You can buy 256kbps which is identical to the original recording (master) from iTunes without DRM and I know it costs a little bit more :(
It also plays on all players and pc's. This is twice the bit rate of the DRM stuff and by the way I hate iTunes.
I defy anybody to tell the difference unless you have the sonic capabilities of a dog or an Abbey Road Engineer.

Capodecina
Soldato
You can buy 256kbps which is identical to the original recording (master)

Interesting, I didn't know this. In what way is it identical?

I defy anybody to tell the difference unless you have the sonic capabilities of a dog or an Abbey Road Engineer.

I know quite a few people who are able to tell, they live their lives through their headphones.

Out of curiosity, what did you do for EMI?

Associate
I was their senior programmer - left end of June before the **** finally hit the fan.
I've tried the listening test at Abbey Road and although i'm probably tone deaf I couldn't tell the difference once you went above CD quality - used studio quality headphones as well. Most engineers take years to be able to tell the difference. But if you can then gratz.

Capodecina
Soldato
Most engineers take years to be able to tell the difference. But if you can then gratz.

Personally I can't - my bitrate of preference is 192, I don't really need anything above that. But I know people who apparently can, and they listen for certain things to tell. I wouldn't know where to start.

I know you can send an album to press from 320kbps mp3s but I'm not very comfortable doing that.

Associate
Whilst at EMI I started development on a system that would allow musicians to upload MP3's and have them mastered at Abbey Road (not live yet).
Other studio's offer the same service (Metropolis in London) and you get a professionally engineered WAV back which you can PQ yourself - they will also do Vinyl and CD's if you wish. A master recording is usually recorded at only 256kbps so 320 will be fine.
If you're not happy they will perform your suggested changes - up to a point as the service is very cheap compared to real studio and engineering time.
Might be worth a look for you budding musicians.

Soldato
You can buy 256kbps which is identical to the original recording (master) from iTunes without DRM and I know it costs a little bit more :(
It also plays on all players and pc's. This is twice the bit rate of the DRM stuff and by the way I hate iTunes.

I just have a good hi-fi. Nothing hi-end, £1k 2nd hand amp and speakers together with a modified £12 cd-player. The difference is very obvious with 320 vs cd. I can tell the same differences through my Grado heaphones.

Just because you can't doesn't mean others are in the same boat ;)

Soldato
Some stats for the US (which would be reasonably similar to UK)

Demand for music among U.S. internet users fell 2% in Q3 of 2008 according to a new NPD survey which included purchased CDs and downloads, P2P sites, and borrowing music to rip.

The proportion of U.S. Internet users, age 13 and older, purchasing a CD in the prior month fell from 25% in Q3 '07 to 22% this year and the overall volume of CDs purchased declined by 19% compared to last year. Teen CD purchases dropped 34% and among adults age 26 to 35 sales were down 36%. CD purchases by adults 36 and older declined ony 10%.

15% of internet users purchased music online which is an increase of 2% over last year or 2.8 million additional music-download customers. Legal music download volumes increased by 29% in Q3 with positive numbers seen for all age groups except the 50-and-older segment, which represents a small portion of buyers

The number of Internet users on peer-to-peer sites held steady at 14% in Q3 2008; but the volume of music shared rose by 23%, as P2P users reported downloading more files. Teens purchased 34% more paid digital downloads compared with year-ago, however growth in P2P file downloading among 13- to 17-year-olds was up 46%.

In 2008, sales dropped 20.4 percent in September, 19.4 in October, and 21.4 last month
Fourth quarter CD sales are down 22 percent compared to the same period last year

And strangely enough :
Sales of vinyl albums have doubled in the last year to 6 million, and turntable sales increased 80 percent over the same period.

Last edited:
Associate
Good find on the stats.
Americans are hell of a lot further ahead than the UK with regards to purchasing their music digitally. I'm sure we will catch up eventually.
It's all pretty grim reading though.
A large % of teen's interviewed through panels for the BPI admit to never buying a CD and getting all of their music by P2P.
When it's gone it's gone.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato

What? Not even the shoddiest of artists records at anything anywhere near 256kpbs.

I'll never buy a digtal song until the prices are siginificantly lower than the physical counterpart, in order to compensate for the lack of physical product, and the loss in quailty.

Back
Top Bottom