• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 or 390 for BF1

Soldato
Powercolour PCS+ or KFA 980 SOC to be precise.

Got both, not had a chance to tinker yet, but is there likely to be a clear winner?

I'll be selling on the lesser, so resale value also comes into play if significant.

Ta

Permabanned
Why don't you run each card with the latest drivers in your system?? Surely,that would be an easier way to check performance??

BTW,a mate has a R9 390 PCS+ and it has one of the best coolers on a R9 390 card.

That's what I thought back when it was Hawaii Powercolor literally cloned the Tri-x meaning the coolers where some of the best. If it was me I'd sell the 980 and go with the 390 but that's because I'm thinking ahead and considering the direction games are going, For example this months RE7 had the Grenada cards giving the competition a pasting so because I think they'll keep up with the newer cards better and for longer than a 980 I'd go with the 390, A year ago I'd of gone with the 980 but not now.

Soldato
At this moment i would stick with the 390 only due to the 8 gb Vram. The gtx980 is not a whole lot faster but as we see with games like Resident Evil 4gb might not be enough shortly. It's a hard choice as the gtx980 is the faster card at current but Vram is something to look at. If it's short term then i would say gtx980. In bf1 i doubt you will notice much difference as both will pull a nice frame rate.

Which monitor do you have. Resolution? Freesync/Gsync.

Caporegime
Doesn't seem to be much in it looking at benchmarks with newer drivers, talking about single digit FPS difference.

Going forward, it would be stupid to stick with a 980 imo.

EDIT:

Not to mention that once DICE/EA fix the dx 12 issues, the 390 will most likely over take the 980 by a decent amount.

Soldato
Why don't you run each card with the latest drivers in your system?? Surely,that would be an easier way to check performance??

BTW,a mate has a R9 390 PCS+ and it has one of the best coolers on a R9 390 card.

I'm running one right now and have had MSI Gaming and XFX DD 290X cards prior to that.
The PCS+ is indeed the best cooler from the 3. The default fan profile keeps the card at 66C but I've set it to a less aggressive quieter setting to maintain 74C. Both the MSI and XFX would always get to 85C+ with an aggressive fan profile.

The 390 is actually matching or beating the 980 in most modern games and 8GB also helps in RE7,etc.

For Battlefield 1 the 390 will have the edge since it is similar performance to an RX480. The RX480 beats the 1060 (which is faster than a 980) even in DX11...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses. Been running AMD cards for a while now, well since the 6700GT anyway and I know the 8GB is favourable, even if the card is a little slower.

Also looks like the 980 can command a slightly higher price second hand as well so looks like I'll stick with the 390 as I am using it at the moment anyway. The 980 came with a build I bought second hand, which I mainly bought for the chip and mobo, Intel 4790K & Giga Z97X gaming 7.

Will also be interesting to see how may more FPS that will give me than my 8320e!

Associate
I'm running one right now and have had MSI Gaming and XFX DD 290X cards prior to that.
The PCS+ is indeed the best cooler from the 3. The default fan profile keeps the card at 66C but I've set it to a less aggressive quieter setting to maintain 74C. Both the MSI and XFX would always get to 85C+ with an aggressive fan profile.

The 390 is actually matching or beating the 980 in most modern games and 8GB also helps in RE7,etc.

For Battlefield 1 the 390 will have the edge since it is similar performance to an RX480. The RX480 beats the 1060 (which is faster than a 980) even in DX11...

A 1060 isn't father than a 980? Especially when you overclock them both. A 1450/1500mhz 980 will be faster than a 2050/2100mhz 1060

Associate
I agree with going for the 390. More vram, and now performing better in the latest games, longevity is better with AMD cards as well, look at how well the HD7 series holds up compared to the Nvidia counterparts of the day.

Associate
I agree with other saying go for the 390.

Its is slightly behind the 980 in a few game however it has the bonus of the extra VRAM and better DX12 prospects for future titles.

[EDIT]

That being said I cant say you would be disappointed by either of the two, both very good card in any case :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom