• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti Fan ALT + TAB

Soldato
Just got a new 980ti and running windows 10

When playing game like Witcher 3 - the fan starts spinning faster...

When ALT + TAB back into windows the fan is still running fast

I would have thought ALT + TAB into windows would stop the graphic processing and the fan slow down... Is this normal?

Soldato
GPU's don't cool down instantly and often although the game stops most of its processing it doesn't actually clock the card down which will also stop the GPU cooling down quickly

fan speed is a function of temperature, so when the GPU has had long enough to cool down the fans will spin down, but it isn't instant

so yes, all the while the GPU temp remains above a certain point, the fans will keep spinning

Soldato
OP
ahhh ok - it stays fast aslong as I got game running

must be the way windows 10 manages background apps to still utilise the graph card.... shame really would like to ALT + TAB out of game to more quiet :D

Associate
It's Witcher 3 m8. Though probably not exclusive to this title, even if you leave it on the pause screen before you alt-tab, your GPU still remains running at full bore. I've found with allot other titles the GPU use / fans etc will drop off when you alt-tab, but it Witcher 3 it acts as though you're still in game for as long as it's still running.

Soldato
OP
yeah it does - if its only witcher 3 its fine :) Would be nice if they could resolve as the graphic card should not be stressed when going back to windows....

I don't have any extra software running and my fans don't run at all when in windows.... its the EVGA 6G version

Soldato
Win10 actually keeps the game running as if it was in the foreground. It does with few of my games because when i hover over them on the taskbar you can see the game running in realtime.

Back
Top Bottom