• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Associate
Nice, go for it, I say. :)

I'd agree. It's the G-Sync monitor that has meant I'm in the same boat as the OP. I can't justify those prices for the difference it would make, the G-Sync has certainly extended the life of this 1070 to the point where it has to be at least a 1080ti/2080 if I'm to get something new.

It'll probably be some time this year, but not until prices have become realistic. In theory, I could buy a few of these cards. But as an old footy manager used to say, "no value in the market" so my money is staying firmly in my pocket, for now..

Associate
Apologies for the slightly off topic post, I currently have a MSI 980ti and a old 1080p 60Hz monitor, would my best upgrade path be to keep the GPU and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor? Can I use a G-sync compatible monitor with a 980ti?

I actually bought this G-Sync monitor 3 years ago next month and I had a 980 at the time. Let's just say I was massively surprised with how well that 980 did at 1440p, so I'd say you'd be happy enough with performance on a 1440p adaptive sync monitor as your card is a good step up from a 980, albeit 3 years later.

Associate
Think most of us with a gtx980ti feel stuck.

I got a new gtx980ti for £350 when the gtx1080 were were out for like £550 & couldn't justify it. The gtx1080ti came out and was a decent chunk faster buy I thought I'd hold fire as only had the gtx980ti for like 6 months.

My thoughts were to wait til the rtx2080ti came out offering more for £650 or buy a now reduced price gtx1080ti for like £350, similar like what happened with the gtx980ti....unfortunately never happened.

Nothing offers value for money now. The gtx1080ti should have reduced to £400 but instead jumps to stupid money. The rtx2080 is same as gtx1080ti just 2 years later again for stupid money and dont get me started on rtx ti.

So now thinking **** it. My gtx980ti still handles everything I play at 1440p so who cares. Nvidia laughing at everyone too weak to hold off getting ripped off.

Soldato
OP

I got a new gtx980ti for £350 when the gtx1080 were were out for like £550 & couldn't justify it. The gtx1080ti came out and was a decent chunk faster buy I thought I'd hold fire as only had the gtx980ti for like 6 months.

My thoughts were to wait til the rtx2080ti came out offering more for £650 or buy a now reduced price gtx1080ti for like £350, similar like what happened with the gtx980ti....unfortunately never happened.

Nothing offers value for money now. The gtx1080ti should have reduced to £400 but instead jumps to stupid money. The rtx2080 is same as gtx1080ti just 2 years later again for stupid money and dont get me started on rtx ti.

So now thinking **** it. My gtx980ti still handles everything I play at 1440p so who cares. Nvidia laughing at everyone too weak to hold off getting ripped off.

Precisely my thinking, and my motivation for starting the thread. I think I'm just gonna either a) pick up a mid tier card that's under £500 when it eventually offers enough of a gain (next gen, hopefully), or b) pick up a 2nd hand flagship card when they come down in price. I'm certainly not green/red oriented by nature so we'll see what happens over the year, although my main monitor is gsync (1440p 144hz for the chap asking earlier) so I have a preference for green unless AMD do a ryzen in the gpu space.

Soldato
Apologies for the slightly off topic post, I currently have a MSI 980ti and a old 1080p 60Hz monitor, would my best upgrade path be to keep the GPU and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor? Can I use a G-sync compatible monitor with a 980ti?

Just to clarify, if by Gsync compatible monitor, you mean one with a Gsync module in it, then yes, your 980Ti will work with it.

Your 980Ti will not work, however, with the recent Nvidia Adaptive sync driver with a Freesync Nvidia qualified display...it doesn't have the required hardware.

Caporegime
Just to clarify, if by Gsync compatible monitor, you mean one with a Gsync module in it, then yes, your 980Ti will work with it.

Your 980Ti will not work, however, with the recent Nvidia Adaptive sync driver with a Freesync Nvidia qualified display...it doesn't have the required hardware.

Good point. What series of hardware do you need in order to make use of the adaptive sync driver, Pascal and above?

Soldato
My 980Ti is doing well at 1440p with my Gsync screen. I did get a 1080Ti but ended up selling it for a small loss after realising i didn't really need it.

Current range of cards are a joke pricing wise. Sad times when xx60 class cards are 300+ quid.

Soldato

Pretty much where I am currently. I'm just waiting for now, but I don't game enough currently to justify a card costing a grand or so!

Associate
The same as many here; want to upgrade but those prices. :mad:

I'm still running a 970 and it is struggling now that I've moved to 1440@165hz. Have been happy with the settings I use and normally get >70fps. However it can't keep up with new games.

Performance needs to be 2080ti levels for the framerates I want. I can't justify those prices to myself though.

Soldato
OP

I'm still running a 970 and it is struggling now that I've moved to 1440@165hz. Have been happy with the settings I use and normally get >70fps. However it can't keep up with new games.

Performance needs to be 2080ti levels for the framerates I want. I can't justify those prices to myself though.

I agree with jedifragger on this one. You've actually got some reasonable options available on the second hand market. Either a 980ti or 1070 would be a good chunk of extra performance for not much compared to the current gen high end models. You'll be waiting a while otherwise

Soldato

I’m running a 970 with 144hz at 1080p and mine is beginning to struggle too - wasn’t about 6 months ago on the same games (bf1 for instance) and yet, as drivers have developed, my frames have dropped............. funny that.

Perhaps I should spend hundreds and hundreds on an upgrade. Perhaps that would please Nvidia?

Soldato
@Devrij stick with your 980ti. RTX is a costly beta testing experiment and you'd have to be nuts to let it push you into buying a "new" 1080ti for £600 or whatever the asking price is right now (are they even available new?).

1080ti second hand price is also too inflated. 980ti is no slouch @ 1440p - keep it!

Associate
Same as you sitting on my hands I was hoping the new Nvidia cards would be worth the upgrade but for the price they're asking for it's a hell no as I'm not willing to pay £700+ on one component :( so I decided to wait and see what Navi brings

Soldato
I’m personally strongly thinking about selling one of my 980Ti’s (EVGA hydrocopper) now while it still has some value as a lot of my gaming is VR and SLI might as well be non existent there beyond a couple of shining examples. Only thing putting me off doing it is draining and modifying the loop!

I would then sit on a single 980Ti until either AMD stun us with Navi or 7nm Nvidia cards roll around (or at least until I can finally pick up a 1080Ti for around £300-350 if the 7nm pricing disappoints).

Back
Top Bottom