• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Soldato
Looks like they're going for about £175/180 in MM. Bargain compared to a new card. A 1070 for £220 would give a bit more grunt, but if budget was really tight it's not worth the extra £40. 1080ti going for £550 in MM. Seems crazy to pay nearly triple for a card that doesn't offer double the performance.

Thing is the real threshold to look at is: res + quality + minimum acceptable framerate. So let's say you want the game you really look forward to play to perform better at 4K & min 30 fps & High-V High mixed preset. Then you'd have to look at what can deliver that and how consistently.

Soldato
OP
This conflicts with post #61

Oh wait :p that would be 100% :p
Yeah, in that post I was specifically comparing the bang for buck of a 980ti vs a 1080ti. For some people that might be worthwhile. I spent 500 on my 980ti when it was new, but on a 2nd hand card you'd expect to pay less for similar % gains.

Soldato
I have an MSI 980ti Gaming. I recently bought a Dell 1440p 155Hz freesync monitor, as it was £100 cheaper than G-Sync version and didn't want to be limited to Nvidia. Oh and adaptive sync was announced. The trouble is adaptive sync isn't compatible with the 9xx series cards. My options seem to be second hand 1070ti or a new AMD Vega 64 with the free games. My card and the games would get me roughly £225, so the Vega would cost £175 (what i paid for my used 980ti). A 50% increase on price...for a £25/30% gain in performance. I could get a used Vega 64, but for £50 more I get a new card with warranty.

BUT...I'd have everything look gorgeous at 155Hz freesync (rather than 60Hz) which adds another point to the mix!

What to do, what to do!

Soldato
I have an MSI 980ti Gaming. I recently bought a Dell 1440p 155Hz freesync monitor, as it was £100 cheaper than G-Sync version and didn't want to be limited to Nvidia. Oh and adaptive sync was announced. The trouble is adaptive sync isn't compatible with the 9xx series cards. My options seem to be second hand 1070ti or a new AMD Vega 64 with the free games. My card and the games would get me roughly £225, so the Vega would cost £175 (what i paid for my used 980ti). A 50% increase on price...for a £25/30% gain in performance. I could get a used Vega 64, but for £50 more I get a new card with warranty.

BUT...I'd have everything look gorgeous at 155Hz freesync (rather than 60Hz) which adds another point to the mix!

What to do, what to do!
I would go the vega 56 route. Sapphire at £299 is a steal and with a few tweaks should be about the same 25-30% on the 980ti but with added freesync support. Big upgrade in QOL for <£100

Soldato
I would go the vega 56 route. Sapphire at £299 is a steal and with a few tweaks should be about the same 25-30% on the 980ti but with added freesync support. Big upgrade in QOL for <£100

Really? The difference is that much?

Just had a look and your right. Not much in it when both overclocked tho. Not a worth while upgrade imo

Last edited:
Associate
Really? The difference is that much?

Just had a look and your right. Not much in it when both overclocked tho. Not a worth while upgrade imo

Thats what i did sold my 980ti for 150 quid and got the sapphire pulse with the 3 games for 299 in the last sale plus i already had a good freesync screen. best bang for buck upgrade ive ever done

Soldato
I’ve been reading reviews of the latest GPUs and it’s quite an eye-opener how far down the FPS charts the 980ti is. I use mine at 4K for older games where it’s acceptable, but it looks like it’ll be dropping to 20fps on the newer stuff if I ever get round to playing it.

It’s a shame the 2080ti is so far ahead of everything else, because the prices are silly.

Soldato
It's just me but I would like a bit more power when I upgrade
~30% plus added freesync support is a good upgrade. Doesn't sound much but can be the difference between playable and not playable fps. I have a 980ti just now and was tempted but it's still going strong in everything I play. I'm still a peasant @ 1080p though :D

Soldato
~30% plus added freesync support is a good upgrade. Doesn't sound much but can be the difference between plays let and non playable. I have a 980ti just now and was tempted but it's still going strong in everything I play. I'm still a peasant @ 1080p though :D

It's not that much better tho. Much less if you overclock. Also this freesync thing is no more but I have a Asus g-sync monitor anyway :)

I just feel that when I upgrade I need to be like wow and 10-15% won't do that for me

Soldato
It's not that much better tho. Much less if you overclock. Also this freesync thing is no more but I have a Asus g-sync monitor anyway :)

I just feel that when I upgrade I need to be like wow and 10-15% won't do that for me
Freesync thing is no more? Both overclocked and a Vega 56 is a lot more than 10-15% better

Soldato
Not on Maxwell they don't.

Obviously game dependant. Also depends on what 980ti you have. Watched gamers nexus benchmarks and they used a 980ti hybrid which will oc quite a bit further than a regular air cooled number. From most things I've seen, a Vega 56 can go toe to toe (when tweaked) with a 64 stock. Stock 64 beats a 980ti in most titles by approx 20-30% on average.

Associate
Tbh in some games I’m seeing an extra 10-20 FPS more the Witcher 3 there is a night and day difference at the same settings I’m playing at 1440p also.

Soldato
Tbh in some games I’m seeing an extra 10-20 FPS more the Witcher 3 there is a night and day difference at the same settings I’m playing at 1440p also.
This is what I mean. From actual benchmarks on sites it seems closer than from what I've heard from actual users. Feels weird that I'm bigging up the Vega when I'm currently using a 980ti :D

Caporegime
980Ti>V56 is pretty pointless I agree, you need to go 1080Ti or 2080. Maybe wait a while and see what your options are, or just suck it up and get the newer Ti :)

Back
Top Bottom