• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980Ti powers on, display port activates then instantly turns off

Permabanned
Hi all,

I hope you can help, I have a second PC with a 980Ti in. I booted it up recently and everything 2d was absolutely fine, but the moment I loaded a game it started artifacting and then the display switched off. Upon booting the PC now the DisplayPort shows a connection but then instantly turns off again, the GeForce light is on and the Fans are spinning so the card is receiving power.

Is the card toast or is there anything I can do to salvage it? :( thank you

Don
Assuming its not the PSU that's toast (and cannot supply enough power) you can try underclocking it in something like MSI Afterburner to see if you can get it to stabilise.

It's certainly not in its best form though

Permabanned
OP
Sadly at this point even on boot it no longer shows a display, the monitor attempts to show a display then instantly turns off, I have a second graphics card that runs without issue which is also an NVIDIA card so I don't think it's a motherboard fault unfortunately.

Don
Sadly at this point even on boot it no longer shows a display, the monitor attempts to show a display then instantly turns off, I have a second graphics card that runs without issue which is also an NVIDIA card so I don't think it's a motherboard fault unfortunately.

Yeah, if you've tried a different card already and you don't get any picture at all even on boot then I suspect it's had it :(

Soldato
It could still be the power supply, 980Ti needs a lot of juice and causing the PSU to trip. What PSU make and model are you using and wattage ? Also maybe time to replace the thermal paste on the 980Ti too, it could be over heating and a good clean out.

Permabanned
OP
Having mentioned the thermal paste it has now tweaked to me that it could be the thermal pads, as I did reapply the thermal paste not long before this happened, and some of the thermal pads fell off as I was doing it, I did reapply them but perhaps poorly. If it turns out it is the thermal pads - will I have killed the GPU? or could it be potentially running in an overheat/shutdown mode instead? I'd be gutted if it turns out i've killed something when i'm always so careful and have been for years but i'm hoping with some new thermal pads it may still have hope yet?

Back
Top Bottom