99> toyota celica

Associate
This weekend i'm going to start looking for a new car to replace my mondeo. I've pretty much got my heart set on a toyota celica (140bhp version). Chosen over an early 190 as it'll be tricky finding a good one within my budget with so few around + not really looking for anything much faster than the mondeo as most of my time is spent in traffic. Seems ideal as from what i've heard, have bulletproof reliability and reasonably low depreciation (want it still to be worth something in a year or so as i want an alfa gt or something simular when i'm 25 :)).

Just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on them especially owners experiences on reliability etc.

Here's a few i'm probably going to look at this weekend:

2002 02 Reg TOYOTA CELICA 1.8 VVTi 3dr Premium Pack

2002 02 Reg TOYOTA CELICA 1.8 VVTi Sport Pack

2002 02 Reg TOYOTA Celica 1.8 VVTi

Also I will probably trade in my mondeo 2002 (02) tdci ghia 85k miles. I've recently started noticing a knocking sound coming from the rear suspension while going over bumps (only noticable over the cobbles outside my workplace) which will be the rear suspension bushes going. At a guess i'll be hoping for £4,000 trade in, do you guys think that's realistic?

Thanks

Soldato
I've only driven one, but did look into them for a while. As far as I can tell they do everything they should do, they go well, they handle well, they look good (subjective I agree), they're nice inside and the driving position is pretty good. On the practical side, there's enough room for 2 adults in the back so long as they're not too tall, and the boot will get a set of gold clubs and your shopping.

They look much better in Black, Blue or Gun Metal though.

Man of Honour
I looked at one of these - and so quickly dismissed it.

Spent 40 mins on the test drive...

Car itself was looks great
Engine was eager and a bit of fun - bit of a rattly old hector though...
Boot is a good size
Rear seats are ok

FWD isn't right for it - needs to be RWD at least
Interior is very very very very very nasty - very cheap black plastic - but I had litrally stepped out of an Mazda RX8 10 mins before so had been spoiled with that.
Seats...after driving for 20 mins or so I got some nasty pains in my back - thought it was due to my old back injuries ignored it - very stupid mistake.

At the end of the test drive I was in immense pain and was for the rest of the weekend.

In other words - don't buy one.

I'd much rather recommended the 2.7l V6 Hyundai Coupe over it.
Great car - drives very well, sounds fabulous, very comfortable, interior is better than the Celica's, cheaper than the Celica, less to insure than the Celica... Plus the Hyundai Coupe looks a hell of a lot like the new Jaguar XK.. ;) [edit] Oh...and you get a proper engine too.. ;)[/edit]

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I also like the look of the hyundai but the badge always put me off lol. But there are a few v6's in my area so I think they are well worth a look.

Associate
Scottland said:
I've only driven one, but did look into them for a while. As far as I can tell they do everything they should do, they go well, they handle well, they look good (subjective I agree), they're nice inside and the driving position is pretty good. On the practical side, there's enough room for 2 adults in the back so long as they're not too tall, and the boot will get a set of gold clubs and your shopping.

They look much better in Black, Blue or Gun Metal though.

i agree with most of that, but its definately not a car for tall people, i certainly take a lot more care when someone tall is in the back because a small bump in the road will give them a sore head, i have one friend that had to sit in the passenger seat with his head out the sunroof, sure he was tall but not freakishly tall

i really have difficulty faulting it, the handling is v.good imo and i've had comments from a friend with the <99 celica gt which i've always considered a bit beefier that if he took some bends at the same pace he'd be hanging on for dear life whereas its fairly effortless in mine

thunder gray ***! mine is black and it just looks crap if you dont clean it constantly and i dont

Associate
Shame your so far south, im thinkin of selling mine and getting a cheap runabout, need the cash now im a skint homeowner

2001 Premium + Dynamic Pack (slightly more agressive looking front bumper and side skirts) 26k miles on the clock and its been serviced 4 times at the dealers in that mileage, was looking to get around 10k

found one on autotrader with the same spec > CLICKY

i looked at a hyundai coupe when i got mine, i cant stand the look of them and they were 10 a penny at the time whereas id rarely see a celica

Back
Top Bottom