• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900k to 12700k?

Soldato
Focus has shifted from gaming now onto more adult and productive things including video editing. My current and previous editors are very cpu bound so my 1080Ti is nigh on useless.

I do have an ongoing oddity with my Auros Z390 motherboard where it will sometimes not power up which annoys me but isn't always there so a change of board will be welcomed.

Worth it?

Soldato
OP
It's probably best to try and find some benchmarks for the editing software you use. It's difficult for us to say otherwise.

I can't find any. I don't use Adobe yet but am looking to move onto it later this year. Have been using Vegas and more recently Movavi as it seems to perform better than Vegas (better results faster)

Soldato
If you're moving to Adobe then you can hook your 1080 Ti into Premiere and After Effects for GPU acceleration. That will give you some breathing space until later this year when you can fully assess Ryzen 7000 vs Intel 13th Gen and the longevity of the platforms. But honestly, I'm not sure what you're planning on editing which would choke a 9900K even in pure CPU rendering mode, so it's worth hanging on to assess what your workflow requirements are.

And as an aside, don't bother with Adobe. There are much better NLEs and animation software out there for much cheaper. DaVinci Resolve immediately springs to mind.

Soldato
not really, the 9900k would out perform the MBP, and its a no brainer that the 12700k would out perform the 9900k.
the question is by how much and is the cost worth in performance gain.

i assume a 5900x is out of the question?

I'm not sure if that will remain true once Adobe have fully optimised their suite for the M1 chips. I work in video/animation and my hardware interested colleagues inform me they have just ordered M1 Max MBPs and they stand up very well, with the added bonus of being laptops.. HDR displays, low power usage etc..

I myself have just built a 12700 system, it wasn't an upgrade so was between the 5900x and 12700 and the cost/performance as well as single core performance swung it for me - Re benchmarks Puget is a good place to check for various video related things https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/12th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2248/

the 12th Gen CPUs performed so well that the entry-level Core i5 12600K ended up beating the top-end Core i9 11900K from the previous generation in every single one of our benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom