9900K with Noctua NH-D15 system

Permabanned
Considering the below system, not sure if I'm going with OCUK yet. Curious if anyone would make any changes and why? Been over 5 years since I upgraded so I'm not exactly up-to-date.

Tempted to shell out the extra for a RTX2080 Ti and not really decided on the case yet.

Intel i9-9900K
Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3000
Samsung 970 Pro 512MB M.2-2280
Asus RTX2080 ROG Strix Gaming OC
Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA W 80+ 850W Gold Modular

Looks to be around £2k on part picker..

Soldato
Personally I would get some faster RAM, if you do go with a 2080Ti and 9900k and want to get every last drop of performance out of your new setup it's worth getting.

I would get a higher capacity SSD, even if it means a slightly slower drive. The PROs are nice drives but unless you need the PRO features get a higher capacity EVO.

Soldato
Considering the below system, not sure if I'm going with OCUK yet. Curious if anyone would make any changes and why? Been over 5 years since I upgraded so I'm not exactly up-to-date.

Tempted to shell out the extra for a RTX2080 Ti and not really decided on the case yet.

Intel i9-9900K
Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3000
Samsung 970 Pro 512MB M.2-2280
Asus RTX2080 ROG Strix Gaming OC
Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA W 80+ 850W Gold Modular

Looks to be around £2k on part picker..

That board isn't ideal. I would go with a Gigabyte Aorus board. The Z390 Aorus Ultra is around that price.

The 3000 ram is fine unless you can get a faster kit for the same price. I wouldn't go paying an extra £50 or so for 3600 etc.

You can usually get cheaper alternatives to Samsung i.e WD Black SSD, Corsair MP510, Adata SX8200 Pro (Not sold on here)

Which EVGA unit is that ?

You not considering Ryzen ? This a gaming pc ?

Permabanned
OP
What are the advantages of the Gigabyte board? Was considering the Aorus board but Asus has always been reliable for me so thought they would be a safer bet.

It's mostly for the gaming and some light work, 3900X seems to be out of stock in most places and I'm not a fan of the active cooling on the AMD boards.

Memory size I can go a bit faster but I'm somewhat limited due to the cooler, needs to be low profile.

PSU is listed here but not sold anymore apparently, plenty of alternatives I guess.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-gq-850w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-black-ca-032-ea.html

Soldato
What are the advantages of the Gigabyte board? Was considering the Aorus board but Asus has always been reliable for me so thought they would be a safer bet.

It's mostly for the gaming and some light work, 3900X seems to be out of stock in most places and I'm not a fan of the active cooling on the AMD boards.

Memory size I can go a bit faster but I'm somewhat limited due to the cooler, needs to be low profile.

PSU is listed here but not sold anymore apparently, plenty of alternatives I guess.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-gq-850w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-black-ca-032-ea.html

The Gigabyte board has a far better VRM than the Asus one.

The 3700X would fit the bill if you went with AMD. Still gives you 8c/16t same as the 9900K. I am not a fan of the chipset cooler either, but at least you can control the speed of it so it shouldn't sound like a hairdryer. I know Gigabyte have just released an updated bios which gives you three different profiles (Silent, Balanced and Performance).

The 3000MHz LPX will be fine anyway.

I would look at something like the new SuperFlower Leadex III or Corsair RMx/RMi etc for the psu.

Associate
Just built
Aorus pro wifi
Noctua d15 - a beast, very quiet until it needs to work hard but even then isn’t that bad in the r6
32gb Corsair lpx 3200
Define R6 usb c - very sold and quiet (no glass). I did replace the stock fans with Noctua’s
Asus 2070s dual oc very please with it, last night it went to 2065MHz
Corsair Rmx 850

Just playing dcs world and seems great so far, if Dcs wasn’t just single core focused I’d certainly lay have looked at AMD. Hth

Permabanned
OP
Just built
Aorus pro wifi
Noctua d15 - a beast, very quiet until it needs to work hard but even then isn’t that bad in the r6
32gb Corsair lpx 3200
Define R6 usb c - very sold and quiet (no glass). I did replace the stock fans with Noctua’s
Asus 2070s dual oc very please with it, last night it went to 2065MHz
Corsair Rmx 850

Just playing dcs world and seems great so far, if Dcs wasn’t just single core focused I’d certainly lay have looked at AMD. Hth

Quite a big price difference between the Pro and Pro Wifi, £120 vs £170 on Amazon, odd, not sure why that's the case.

I might just build it vs ordering a full system, it's a saving of around £800-1000 as I already have a case I could use and quite a few SSD drives which are still perfectly good.... Plus I can be a bit more picky about parts as prices vary quite a bit from site to site.. It's also a hell of a lot quicker than waiting 7-10 days for them to build and ship the system.

Hmm, i'll sleep on it and decide over the weekend..

Noctua coolers are in a class of their own imo, well not visually appealing to many they perform better than most, if not all AIO options.

Permabanned
OP
Parts are ordered, went with the Gigabyte board instead, Flower Power 850W PSU, and switched to 3600 memory from Corsair as the price difference wasn't that much, but only 16GB as I'm not sure I will ever need 32GB

Also went with the RTX2080 Ti instead just because of how much if saved building it myself, should all be here by Wednesday, fingers crossed there aren't any complication.

Might consider a new SSD drive later if I feel the need for it, same for memory.

Back
Top Bottom