• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9970 to be twice as powerful as GTX 780/Titan ???

Soldato
Associate
If anyone believes that "article" (spot the comedy spelling error) then might I interest you in these magic beans I have for sale.

How big should this grain of salt be ?

salt.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
No chance. If AMD have 20nm cards rolling out to partners already that are two times as powerful as the 780 then Nvidia have completely dropped the ball. They have only just released the 780 and the 600 series refresh.

That slide of details seems to be circulating around the web but i think it is fake.

Last edited:
Soldato
October 2013 => 28nm. No way around this fact really.

These specs could *almost* be realistic for a Q2 2014 release on 20nm. BUT the memory configuration would still not make sense. A 512-bit interface with only 5Ghz GDDR5 would be a complete waste. 7Ghz GDDR5 at 384-bit would give better performance, and be significantly cheaper and less complex to manufacture.

If a card is coming out October / November time, then it will be 28nm. If it's 28nm, then it'll be somewhere in the region of 2560 SPs. It will most likely have a 384-bit memory interface, and run GDDR5 at somewhere close to 7Ghz.

Those specs are fantasy values selected by someone with little knowledge of the industry. I would give them about as much credence as I do the crazy dude stood with a placard in market square who tells everyone that the end of the world is neigh.

Man of Honour
ARM has only just taped out its Coretex-A15 processors on 20nm - which is one of the first major products slated on 20nm and your looking at 5-6 months usually from tape out to production volumes starting to hit shelves with a GPU and so far no reports of any of the main fabs taping out 20nm GPUs for AMD or nVidia. Theres some rumours of a limited "testing the water" run of a 20nm GPU collaboration between IBM and GlobalFoundries so its not entirely impossible that AMD will release something on 20nm towards the end of the year with larger volumes in early 2014 but theres very little verifiable information supporting that.

EDIT: I'm with Duff-Man that its very unlikely to be true about a 512bit bus as theres simply no need for it even on a GPU that was a lot faster than a 7970 added to which the diagram that people are referring to claiming a 512bit bus does not actually show a 512bit bus.

Last edited:
Soldato
ARM has only just taped out its Coretex-A15 processors on 20nm - which is one of the first major products slated on 20nm and your looking at 5-6 months usually from tape out to production volumes starting to hit shelves with a GPU and so far no reports of any of the main fabs taping out 20nm GPUs for AMD or nVidia. Theres some rumours of a limited "testing the water" run of a 20nm GPU collaboration between IBM and GlobalFoundries so its not entirely impossible that AMD will release something on 20nm towards the end of the year with larger volumes in early 2014 but theres very little verifiable information supporting that.

Precisely. October means 28nm for sure.

Also, regarding Global Foundries: There is a very big difference between producing "proof of concept" operational silicon at 20nm, and spinning off 10Bn transistor mega-chips at a viable yield. It would be like going for a jog around the block to check you could run, and then going straight on to run a marathon.

GPUs are the most complex pieces of silicon on the planet (at least in terms of transistor count). I can't see GloFo producing any of the high-end GPUs this time around.

Caporegime
I think whatever it is that is being released in October will clearly just be the current line up on steroids so the flagship card can match the GTX 780/Titan.

Man of Honour
Also, regarding Global Foundries: There is a very big difference between producing "proof of concept" operational silicon at 20nm, and spinning off 10Bn transistor mega-chips at a viable yield. It would be like going for a jog around the block to check you could run, and then going straight on to run a marathon.

The information I have is that IBM Hudson Valley is doing the "heavy lifting" with assistance from GF unfortunatly I have no way of getting hold of the real details of what that is. Hints that its a big GPU but I've been unable to find anything publicly backing it up.

Soldato
AMD are really knocking them out of park these days, first a 12 Core, 6Ghz CPU @ 75watt, followed by a GPU with twice the power of a GTX 780.

Hahaha :D

Would love to know the source of these rumors? Someone is doing this for a laugh surely!?

Back
Top Bottom