£9k fun to replace TDCi mondy?

Associate
My m8's got a 54 plate mondeo tdci and he's a bit bored of it, and looking for something a bit more enjoyable to drive.
Bearing in mind the value of the mondeo and what he has to spare he reckons his budget is around £9000.
He's a full time HGV driver so doesnt get to drive his car much, so MPG aint really a major concern, although insurance groups might be, so try and keep it Grp 15 or below. He's a big lad at 6ft4 and 20 stone, so no little plastic cars!
One last thing, he doesnt want anything over 50k miles.
Give us some idea's, as he really doesnt know what he wants.
thanks.

Caporegime
If he's had his license a few years with no accidents or many points then anything up to Group 16 or 17 should be fine. There's not that many really fun cars with any real meat behind them at Group 15 or lower.

Soldato
octavia VRS
mondeo ST
mazda 6 mps

one of the jags a 'R' version either the saloon or the coupe can be had for 9k although the insurance may kill.
(s type 4.2 v8 R )
(XK8 supercharged or non)

Last edited:
Soldato
My m8's got a 54 plate mondeo tdci and he's a bit bored of it, and looking for something a bit more enjoyable to drive.
Bearing in mind the value of the mondeo and what he has to spare he reckons his budget is around £9000.
He's a full time HGV driver so doesnt get to drive his car much, so MPG aint really a major concern, although insurance groups might be, so try and keep it Grp 15 or below. He's a big lad at 6ft4 and 20 stone, so no little plastic cars!
One last thing, he doesnt want anything over 50k miles.
Give us some idea's, as he really doesnt know what he wants.
thanks.

I'm 6'4 and 18 stone and managed to fit quite comfortably into an elise 111R so dont write off plastic cars yet :p

Problem here is pretty much anything is going to be more than group 15, forget about that really. Age doesnt get a mention, what about something like an MR2 turbo or a supra twin turbo? Should be able to get a sub 50k mile example of them for 9k and a fair whack of change! :p I can insure a Supra TT cheaper than my 330i, so not expensive on that front either!

Tom.

Associate
OP
Ok he doesnt want another mondy, so although the ST is a bloomin nice car, he said no to that one, and also no to the octy.. but the Jag has got him interested. Can u point to any on pistonheads etc? He's 27 with 5yrs no claims and 11 points (naughty boy not using the limiter in his Scania)
He's not interested in the evo's/scoobys etc as he doesnt want something thats gonna cost him a fortune just to keep up with servicing etc.. Does the Supra also fall into that catagory? He does still take passengers and said he needs 4 seats so the MR2 is also out.

Caporegime
jesus with 11 points he can kiss goodbye to insuring stuff like a Lotus Elise

oh and the supra is very much not a 4 seat car by the way, unless he's in the habit of giving pixies a lift :D

Caporegime
Why on earth would someone with 11 points go looking for a sporty car. Tell him to get a slow cruiser and wait till his points expire... before he gets banned.

Associate
I'm 6'4" and over 17stone and I find my 190bhp A4 fine, got enough oomph for when it's required, but for motorway cruising it will sit at 70-80mph and still return decent mpg.
It's going though, so I can get a new bike:D

Associate
OP
Right his 11 points are all off in november (got them all close together when he first became an hgv driver) so he will just have to live with the premium for 4 months.
He's on his way back from norway just now and is in Newcastle. He's seen a 2002 Honda Accord Type R (import) with 46k miles on clock *had 1 uk owner since import* for £5999, it's been RAC checked etc and found to be fine, guy only wants £500 to change from his mondy and he's sorely tempted after driving it... said it felt like he'd been driving with the handbrake on for the last 3 years.
I checked his insurance for him, and once his points come off in november its gonna be £458 fully comp to insure. All in all not bad.
Thing is, do you chance an import? i've never had one.. the insurance doesnt seem to be bad, only £100 more than the UK model.. and you would also be un affected by the new tax laws so cheaper tax too!
Opinions?

Last edited:
Soldato
points aren't the be all and end all of insuring, I have 9 points from collecting SP30s, 31 yrs old with maxed no claims and I'm under £700 a year fully comp on a Focus ST with class 1 business use.

Back
Top Bottom