A Bridge too far? Scotland - Ireland Bridge proposals

Caporegime
Investment needs to actually return something above it's initial capital costs to be sensible, this bridge must be so far in the negative in this regard it's unbelievable. HS2 'used' to be sensible in this regard until it's cost-benefit ratio started to go backwards.

So, it can't really be investment, as long as Boris & friends are willing to be honest about why they're putting this plan forward, then I guess that would resolve the only issue, if all he wants is a vanity project (his Colossus of Rhodes), then so be it, it certainly would not be better than simply improving ferry terminals.

Nobody needs this bridge, I quite literally never want or need to visit Northern Ireland, god honest truth (sorry to those it may agitate), and that is likely the same for the majority of the UK.

I mean goodness, what happens if/when NI polls for reunification and Scotland polls to leave the UK? The investment becomes infinitely negative in terms of benefit for the rest of the UK in that situation, would be better to just build a giant CFC emitting statue made from asbestos of Boris outside Westminster at that point, at least the tourism would be positive.

Last edited:
Soldato
How funny would it be if Boris blew billions building a bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland, then Scotland left the UK, Ireland reunified, and they kept the bridge xD

He'd probably have a spasm xD

Soldato
OP
How funny would it be if Boris blew billions building a bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland, then Scotland left the UK, Ireland reunified, and they kept the bridge xD

He'd probably have a spasm xD

bridge retained by Ruk and tolls in place?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I'm just waiting for the inevitable link between the Johnson family and the hired construction firms á la Bush/Halliburton.

Caporegime
I mean goodness, what happens if/when NI polls for reunification and Scotland polls to leave the UK? The investment becomes infinitely negative in terms of benefit for the rest of the UK in that situation, would be better to just build a giant CFC emitting statue made from asbestos of Boris outside Westminster at that point, at least the tourism would be positive.

Scotland could then unite with Ireland as a sort of reverse merger in order to just get into the EU instantly....

I wonder what happens in cases like that - a country gains some territory which is deepened to be a constituent part of that country not an overseas territory... if that country has EU membership then...

On the other hand a bridge with no customs checks could cause some fun and games re: NI and the EU.

Associate
This country used to build massive feats of engineering all the time, things that were seen as impossible at the time.

I would love a return to that but the country is too bogged down in health and saftey and politics.
Every project ends up poorly managed and with every contractor they use creaming everything they can out if it.

Caporegime
actually makes more sense than HS2 as a project and with the initial costing of £20 billion :rolleyes: a lot more bang for buck

still think tunnelling would be a far better option for something like this though

HS2 was originally £28bn and is now approaching £150bn depending on the report you read. So a £20bn starting point for the bridge will become over £100bn by the time they have finished.

Man of Honour
I remember this being talked about in the 90s. Anything to give NI an economic drip would be most welcome I’m sure.

Practically speaking though, I used to regularly drive across a 23 mile bridge (Lake Pontchartrain Causeway)and it was anxiety provoking at best, and downright frightening at worst. Cars going over the side is a regular occurrence. Engineering a bridge of such a span to today’s standards and public expectations of risk will be quite a challenge.

Soldato
If the eco-loons got their way air travel will cease or become massively expensive. In which case high speed rail links become essential. A combined bridge rail link into Northern Ireland would be good for both economies. We talk about rebalancing the economy away from the South East but everyone wants to **** on any idea that might support it. We pay £50Bn a year on the countries credit card just on interest payments. How about we spend on something tangible.

Caporegime
Can’t see it happening tbh, the ferry operators would fight it tooth & nail, because hauliers would love a bridge and kill the majority of commercial ferry traffic overnight.

Even if it got the go ahead it would take years of bickering and public enquires, by which time the Japanese will probably have built a bridge around the globe.... :p

Man of Honour
I don't know whether this soecific idea is good or bad. But I am increasingly supportive of large infrastructure projects in parts of the UK other than the south east if it helps the local economies and provides jobs. But only if UK firms are used to build them. Now we are out of the EU I don't think we have to tender to other EU companies to submit bids. So if it is a UK only project then it may be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom