1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bridge too far? Scotland - Ireland Bridge proposals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 233, Feb 11, 2020.

1. BowdonUK

Mobster

I am even less than a novice economist. But when I got past the initial shock and the repeatedly asking "why?", I am wondering if this as more to do with the value of the pound.

It's obvious that even in the best scenario of Brexit, Britain isn't going to be at full trading strength until we get this deals in the future going. So in the event of a dip in trade wouldn't this mean we have more money in circulation and thus the value of the pound would go down, as there is a lot of it?

To counter this value issue wouldn't the government need to offload money in to projects so reducing the circulation of the pound and increasing its value?

2. Orionaut

Soldato

Wouldn't a bridge between the Mull of Kintyre and Ballycastle be shorter and easier? You would need a couple of additional shorter bridges linking the various peninsulars but with that done it would be a pretty much direct drive/train trip from Glasgow. (And indeed Edenborough)

I guess the question really is who is this proposed bridge intending to serve?

3. Greebo

Caporegime

Or in order to shore up the drop in GDP from Brexit the Govt basically "borrows" £200bn and dumps it into the economy under the guise of infrastructure spend.

Or "let';s get our mates rich and get as much money out of the country while it is still there before it all collapses".

Or a combination of all of them.

Don;t forget the majority of plum contacts on HS2 has gone to companies from Sweden, Austria and France and not British companies like some people would expect or think would happy in this post Brexit Euphoria

4. Greebo

Caporegime

Cleary it is designed for herding all the Scottish people when they vote for independence and shuffling them across in NI before cutting NI free and destroying the bridge.

5. doodah

Capodecina

Winning :D!!!

6. danlightbulb

Mobster

Ideal opportunity to put into action my previous prisoner forced labour plan.

7. TJM

Wise Guy

This terrific new road link shows that Britain is open for business!*

*No HGVs from November to March.

8. rxodium

Perma Banned

Torr head is a beautiful spot and the last thing it needs is a bridge going to Scotland. It's enough we have a stretch of water to keep them skirt wearing reprobates away from us. Larne is the Bermuda triangle and Twilight Zone of Northern Ireland, so it would be a perfect place to stick a tunnel since it would be buried and everyone could ignore it, like they do Larne, except when they find themselves in it and then panic trying to leave the place.

9. Bluecube

Wise Guy

Is Edenborough in NI?

Transport links to the Mull of Kintyre of very, very poor. It's also nowhere near Glasgow by road. I think it's about three or four hours from Glasgow to the Mull of Kintyre.

10. Orionaut

Soldato

Transport isn't so good where the current bridge is being proposed really.

New motorway/railways will need to be built as well wherever it is built

11. opstrat

Mobster

Glasgow to mull of kintyre is just over 3 hours over a busy enough single carriageway as it is, the rest and be thankful road was closed for awhile due to a major landslide.

port Patrick is roughly 2 hours down mostly motorway and duel carriageway, while passing through east (i think) and south Ayrshire council controlled areas where the roads are actually pretty decent.

12. Rofflay

Mobster

Well i agree with you crazyhorse :D

I know Torr to Magilligan well, All the places there would be ruined it is supposed to be rural seaside nothing there is really built up until you hit Larne. And Larne is where the ugly coastline starts all the way around until Newcastle and then there is nothing as there is the land border from Warrenpoint to the Foyle again. So really thats all the coastline we have from the Foyle at Magilligan to Torr.

13. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

It will never go ahead and even if it did the Mull of Kintyre is the wrong place to put it as the roads are abysmal. New roads would never get the go ahead either. The enviromentalists and anti road campaigners are already kicking up a stink about the dualling of the A96 which still hasn't started despite being announced years ago.

14. Rofflay

Mobster

Flying is much worse than driving, If they want to curb it, Build green trains.

15. Malevolence

Capodecina

Always found it amusing how the Kintyre peninsula looks like a giant knob with Arran being the ballsack.

16. Geodude97AD

Gangster

The problem would be that it may be the shorter bridge but it is also the longest way round to any place but the Scottish Highlands which I am sure are a fine place. The Bridge at Larne would be faster to get to Glasgow, Newcastle and all of England.

17. Minusorange

Soldato

Why don't they build 2 bridges or tunnels that connect through the Isle of Man ? Start at Blackpool end up somewhere in Northern Ireland

18. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

Let’s be honest though, Boris couldn’t get a bridge built between London and London so chances are it won’t happen.

19. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Think this has been proposed too and is what I would go for.

20. ChroniC

Sgarrista

This is genius. Get all our European imports ignored across the border between Irelands and then use the bridge.