a couple of questions about unraid drives

Associate
Hi so i just watched a video on installing unraid and what threw me was adding a drive for cache, he added 1 x 8TB for parity and then 2 x 8Tb drives for his pool/storage (sorry don't know the proper name) then added a 1Tb ssd for cache please explain what this does and why 1Tb.
Also i have 4 x 4Tb drives in my truenas set up atm, if i move these across into a unraid setup can i change the 4Tb parity drive later to something bigger ?
Thanks

Soldato
A cache drive is just a drive that runs all the time and reads and writes are written to the cache drive instead of the array.

The array is your parity disk/s and storage disks. It's slower to write to the array as it has to write to the storage disk/s and the parity disk/s.

What happens is the cache drive gets written to or read from if the file is still on the cache drive, and every so often a process called mover moves the files to the array based on settings you set.
So you can have mover run every hour, and only run if X GB of files are on the cache, and other settings I forget about now.

The parity drive can be changed yeah, but the parity drive will need to be rebuilt if you do so. Also only the largest disk can be a parity disk, so you can't select a smaller one to gain more storage space.

I'm guessing by "he" you mean Spaceinvaderone's youtube videos?

Associate
OP
A cache drive is just a drive that runs all the time and reads and writes are written to the cache drive instead of the array.

The array is your parity disk/s and storage disks. It's slower to write to the array as it has to write to the storage disk/s and the parity disk/s.

What happens is the cache drive gets written to or read from if the file is still on the cache drive, and every so often a process called mover moves the files to the array based on settings you set.
So you can have mover run every hour, and only run if X GB of files are on the cache, and other settings I forget about now.

The parity drive can be changed yeah, but the parity drive will need to be rebuilt if you do so. Also only the largest disk can be a parity disk, so you can't select a smaller one to gain more storage space.

I'm guessing by "he" you mean Spaceinvaderone's youtube videos?
Yes it was spaceinvaderone, I get the cache but how do you work out the size of it and one or two drives and yes regarding the parity drive if I use a 4Tb for now I am able to change it to say an 8 Tb down the road ?
Thanks

Soldato
Yes it was spaceinvaderone, I get the cache but how do you work out the size of it and one or two drives and yes regarding the parity drive if I use a 4Tb for now I am able to change it to say an 8 Tb down the road ?
Thanks
The size of the cache is basically as big as you expect to write to it before it moves files off to the array (array = protected storage, i.e the parity disk/s and storage disks), and how much you want to keep on the cache.

Some shares are recommended to remain on the cache drive such as the appdata share to speed up the docker containers. These settings can be set on a share by share basis, here's a copy of the writing from unRAID:

No prohibits new files and subdirectories from being written onto the Cache disk/pool. Mover will take no action so any existing files for this share that are on the cache are left there.

Yes indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array.

Only indicates that all new files and subdirectories must be written to the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient free space on the Cache disk/pool, create operations will fail with out of space status. Mover will take no action so any existing files for this share that are on the array are left there.

Prefer indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto the Cache disk/pool.

NOTE: Mover will never move any files that are currently in use. This means if you want to move files associated with system services such as Docker or VMs then you need to disable these services while mover is running.

A cache drive size of 1TB is okay if you don't expect to write more than 1TB before the next mover run completes.

To your other question, yes you can change the parity drive later down the line. I think what you'd need to do is reset the config and keep the drive assignments. This will keep the drives in the correct positions they were assigned to. Then you can assign the newer drive into the parity drive pool and if you wanted, move the 4TB previous parity drive into the storage pool.

When you try to start the array it'll warn you that the new storage drive will be formatted and erased, and you'll also be told the array isn't protected as the parity drive is being rebuilt.

Basically it'll read all the data off your storage drives and create the parity data from it.

You can specify more than 1 parity drive if you want redundancy, all depends on how much protection you want.

Don't forget the licenses for unRAID have drive limitations, so you might not be able to use all the drives you want unless you have the right license.

Soldato
Thanks
You want enough cache space to cover your system and appdata for dockers and for any downloads you may store on it temporarily before being written to the array. My appdata/system are over 50GB alone so a 250/500GB cache wouldn't leave much space after that. For the price, I'd say go for 1TB minimum as there have been a few times I've filled mine up.

Doing a parity swap is relatively simple further down the line. I've done it in the past and it pretty much just involves reassigning a few drives and waiting for parity to rebuild. There is also help page over on the Unraid website with the procedure if you get stuck.

Associate
OP
You want enough cache space to cover your system and appdata for dockers and for any downloads you may store on it temporarily before being written to the array. My appdata/system are over 50GB alone so a 250/500GB cache wouldn't leave much space after that. For the price, I'd say go for 1TB minimum as there have been a few times I've filled mine up.

Doing a parity swap is relatively simple further down the line. I've done it in the past and it pretty much just involves reassigning a few drives and waiting for parity to rebuild. There is also help page over on the Unraid website with the procedure if you get stuck.
thanks for the help have 1Tb ssd in my desktop that i might use as it just stores media atm

Permabanned
I have two 500gb SSD for cache pool. Parity drive always has to be the biggest drive. Most of my stuff is set to move to array(from cache) overnight. I don't write that much on a daily basis. If moving a ton of data can add cache later.

Associate
OP
I have two 500gb SSD for cache pool. Parity drive always has to be the biggest drive. Most of my stuff is set to move to array(from cache) overnight. I don't write that much on a daily basis. If moving a ton of data can add cache later.
Thanks i am beginning to get my head around this now

Back
Top Bottom