A Few Lake District Landscapes

Associate
I was up in what I would guess is one of the most photographed places on earth last week, so thought it would be rude not to have a go myself!

The weather was not brilliant most of the time to be frank, but I took my kit out every day anyway, and got a few moments when the cloud and mist lifted and the sun poked through a bit. In some ways, it makes some of the pics more dramatic!

These were all shot in Raw and mostly with a 0.9/0.6 ND Grad square filter on the front. All on a D90 with the 18-105 kit lens. Processing wise, just converted from RAW and a bit of Shadow/Highlight, Contrast and Levels adjustment. The colours really were that vivid!

Any comments welcome!

3029832502_e01e94d52e_o.jpg

3028997933_fa89b1245d_o.jpg

3029829150_f30c03fe7a_o.jpg

3029002687_c9ea9c0c78_o.jpg

3029834642_7c365c3690_o.jpg

Associate
I agree with the sentiments above, no.3 is my favourite. It's a shame that there isn't a bit more sun on no.4, I like the wall leading to the craggy middle.

As it happens I was also in the Lake District last week, always take my camera with me when I go out - it's so picturesque. It was better on the Sunday and Monday when I was there, managed to try out my new polariser! Annoyed at myself for not shooting them in RAW though.

Where were these pictures taken from?

Associate
OP
3rd picture is brilliant! Great colours and the reflection of the tree is nice

got to agree! love the 3rd. Shame about the left hand side though.

nice - 3rd one for me to

Cheers guys! :)

Unfortunately, there was a tree interrupting things just to my right too, and I tried cropping out the branches to the left but thought it looked wrong.

I tried to get to the location early on another day too, but alas the sun didn't show up!

I've got some others that are a bit further out, but the grass is just a bit un-interesting so this was the best one really.

Associate
OP
I agree with the sentiments above, no.3 is my favourite. It's a shame that there isn't a bit more sun on no.4, I like the wall leading to the craggy middle.

As it happens I was also in the Lake District last week, always take my camera with me when I go out - it's so picturesque. It was better on the Sunday and Monday when I was there, managed to try out my new polariser! Annoyed at myself for not shooting them in RAW though.

Where were these pictures taken from?

Thanks for the comment!

Yes, the weather was definately frustrating last week! I spent as long as I dare waiting for any sun to hit the right spots, but I had to balance that with the family/dogs patiently waiting for me every time I decided to take a couple of shots! They were out for a walk, and I was out for a photoshoot so I couldn't spend as long as I would have liked at each spot.

Pics 1 and 2 are in the Borrowdale area, number 3 is opposite the badger bar on the road out of Grasmere, and 3 and 4 are at Alcot Tarn.

Where were you? Did you get any pics you want to share?!

Associate
OP
They look like nice photos.

What's happening with all the branches/edges of stuff? They seem quite jagged and unnatural

I'm not sure really, I haven't sharpened them at all, although I understand that Flickr sharpen images when you upload them, although heaven knows why!

It's probably that, I'll have to look for another hosting service I think.

Associate
OP
I'd agree - the tree over the lake is un-naturally sharp.

Yes, I've just checked the tiff file generated from the RAW, and the hosted picture is definately over sharpened.

Short of inviting everybody round my house to view, there isn't a lot I can do about it now though! :D

Anybody recommend a good photo hosting service? I don't mind paying!

Associate
Thanks for the comment!

Yes, the weather was definately frustrating last week! I spent as long as I dare waiting for any sun to hit the right spots, but I had to balance that with the family/dogs patiently waiting for me every time I decided to take a couple of shots! They were out for a walk, and I was out for a photoshoot so I couldn't spend as long as I would have liked at each spot.

Pics 1 and 2 are in the Borrowdale area, number 3 is opposite the badger bar on the road out of Grasmere, and 3 and 4 are at Alcot Tarn.

Where were you? Did you get any pics you want to share?!

I know what you mean, it's always a balance between spending time waiting for the right moment and getting on with your walk!

I stayed around the Threlkeld area, here's a few I took. I'm not good at judging the quality of my photos, my memory of the moment tends to cloud my judgement. Taken with a D80 and the 50mm F1.8.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Would have liked a little bit of editing, but I'm photoshopless at the moment.

Soldato
Yes, I've just checked the tiff file generated from the RAW, and the hosted picture is definately over sharpened.

Short of inviting everybody round my house to view, there isn't a lot I can do about it now though! :D

Anybody recommend a good photo hosting service? I don't mind paying!

For something like imageshack, I find http://www.imagehost.org/ work really well, and are free.

Associate
OP
I know what you mean, it's always a balance between spending time waiting for the right moment and getting on with your walk!

SNIP...

DSC_0101.jpg

Would have liked a little bit of editing, but I'm photoshopless at the moment.

Sorry for the delay replying, been away with work! :(

I really like this one, lovely shot! :)

Where is it? I like the people you can just make out walking down the ridge.

Associate
Sorry for the delay replying, been away with work! :(

I really like this one, lovely shot! :)

Where is it? I like the people you can just make out walking down the ridge.

Cheers! The people on the ridge were the reason for the shot, I saw them higher up and had to wait for what felt like ages for them to come into view.

They're walking down the eastern most flank of Blencathra, Scales Fell I think it's called, looking in the general direction of Keswick. I think that's Threlkeld Knotts/Clough Head on the left.

Back
Top Bottom