A good or bad time to think about a new car?

Soldato
Currently, life dictates that the M5 is not the best car for me at the moment.

Two young boys, an occasional dog and a new partner with horses suggest the Disco takes on the role, but my D4 is ageing at 80k.....

I will have another M5, but for now I'll wait the 3/4 years for the LCI.

With that in mind, I think another, new, Disco is the way forward. I'm at a point where I can purchase (part finance) a brand new one. What I'm unsure about is how to play this.

Hear me out.
  • I would like the 3 litre petrol but would not rule out the diesel. (I'd love the 5L V8 SVO but that's a year away and will be ££££
  • I wouldn't part ex the BMW into JLR, I'd sell it privately or back to a BMW dealer
  • If I hire purchase a diesel, I might find it's worth balls all in 3 years time
  • If I lease (PCP) a diesel, I don't massively care because I'll just hand it back, but I suspect the GFV will be low
  • If I hire purchase a petrol, It's a bit unknown as to how the market might roll. Given this is the first time in over a decade that JLR have produced a petrol variant of the Disco, this seems to suggest they believe it has legs still to run so getting rid in 3 years it might actually be worth something. A point of note, as of yesterday there was not one petrol Discovery for sale on the JLR AUC site.
  • If I PCP a petrol, same as the diesel above

JLR have just also announced that the new RRS and FFRR have PHEV options backed by a 2litre petrol. I suspect the Disco might have this treatment very soon.

I feel like the decision is not that straight forward. Suffice to say I won't be putting more than £10k into this deposit whether I take PCP or HP.

Man of Honour
Have you tried one yet? I was massively disappointed with my first experience of a current generation JLR product in the summer.

Soldato
80k's not that bad for a disco? i'd just keep it as a runabout (especially if you no longer care for it that much) that way you won't need to worry about dog/kid related messes/smells aren't going to be an issue compared to messing up a nice new motor.

then just relegate the m5 to weekend use until you feel like chopping it for a newer model?

Soldato
OP
Have you tried one yet? I was massively disappointed with my first experience of a current generation JLR product in the summer.

I've taken out a petrol Velar, and diesel Disco, there wasn't a petrol Disco available to try. The Velar was glorious, but just a bit too small. Sadly, I do still have an occasional use for full seat 6 and 7, but it is occasionally. I liked the Disco. The tech is awesome, and I always feel like the comparable BMW X5 is a decade behind. I'm not sure what else really fits the bill other than keep the current one and kill it.

Caporegime
If you buy it's value will drop like a stone very quickly. Personally I'd keep your current Disco if it's been reliable and has held up. Lease costs on a Disco are pretty high, £2.5-3k up front then £700+ a month. Seems a lot to spend to 'save'.

Caporegime

Agreed, my sister had no end of issues with her two, both bought new, one rejected after numerous faults and the goodwill replacement rejected again having broken down on the day of delivery.

They switched to an X5 M50d and it’s been utterly faultless (but I do agree with the OP it seems an older design even if it arguably isn’t)

Man of Honour
They switched to an X5 M50d and it’s been utterly faultless (but I do agree with the OP it seems an older design even if it arguably isn’t)

It is an older design though as it's F10 5 Series based, but the current generation XF I had couldn't hold a candle to the old 5 series let alone the new one so I'm not sure that'd put me off unless the Discovery is a much better implementation.

Caporegime
It is an older design though as it's F10 5 Series based, but the current generation XF I had couldn't hold a candle to the old 5 series let alone the new one so I'm not sure that'd put me off unless the Discovery is a much better implementation.

They were offered a current / new model Disco after the replacement broke down but their brand confidence had gone, strange re the feel of their X5, although it shares the same platform more or less, the five seems far more modern to mine and their perception, I think a five was considered but he wanted the X5 as he tows a jet ski and wanted the clearance for when he reverses it into the sea (which can’t do it any favours but there you go!)

Soldato
Easy decision, keep the 80m Disco. That's essentially deliver miles on it!

New JLR cars are lovely, I'm a big fan of the F-Pace, but Christ they're all expensive beasts, with high APR finance and unreliable infotainment systems.

The XC90 recommendation is a fair one. It's a stunning place to be and cavernous inside. The diesel engine is pretty woeful though and makes it feel like a 1.4l hatchback for pace. But there is a T8 :D

daz

daz

Soldato
Biggest issue with the XC90 is there is no 'premium' engine option other than the hybrid, which still has a 4 pot. Would be nice to have something similar to the Lexus RX.

daz

daz

Soldato
Disco Sport is more practical and SUV like, F-pace handles better and is more car-like. Very similar interiors in my experience.

Associate
I don't think there's a good timing for the buying of a car. If you want to buy it and you can afford it, then just buy it.

Back
Top Bottom