A Job / Life Dilemma!

Soldato
Here we are again!

I finally get my old job back... And now im moaning and realising exactly why I left in the first place...Nice one to me hey...

Well... Not quite; Beforehand;

I worked 10 mins drive away;
4 Days a week.

Now its;

1 Hour drive away (min)
5 Days a week
In a store, I HATED before, and NEVER did well in, and used to hate doing 1 day in there every few months (We all did to help out the lone person who worked there, or at one time, nobody was there!)

Can't believe myself sometimes, get blinded by the vision I WANTED my old job back...But I wanted my OLD job back...Not the same job, but different store!

I would certainly not moan as much at all if it was at the store I used to work in, 10 mins away, as I worked there 6 years, knew all the people, management etc, my colleagues etc.

I really just do not know what to do, now im considering an Open University, to ensure I don't have such rubbish times with jobs in the future, im 26 so it's probably a bit late now.

I am considering phoning my acting manager and explaining that I really can't work in that store, it depresses me, and that I thought by coming back alone it would help overcome not liking the idea of working in that store instead of my old store...

The thing is, my old position was not replaced, there is still just 2 people in the other store, but they do not look like they want to add a 3rd person.

Soldato
OP
Thats the thing, I don't want to quit the job but I can't do that place anymore.

I was thinking of dropping a day to ease the pressure a bit (sales targets are reduced the less days you work).

Thats another thing, that store is IMPOSSIBLE to sell in, and the history is all there to see that, i've never done well there, so it forces more depression!

Consigliere
Stick at it and try and find a transfer back? It's a supermarket i'm guessing? I agree with the above poster, it would look quite bad on your CV if you keep upping and going after a few weeks.

Soldato
OP
Supermarket,but not working in that, its more the financial side. Just working under the umbrella of the Supermarket name.

Historically, no one has wanted to work at that store in 4 years since the sales part was opened...

We had 1 person who didnt turn up after being offered the job.
The other, joined, for 3 days, and quit.
The other, joined, and was sacked for stealing!
Then no one else really seemed to apply!

This is all over 4 years.

We all (3 of us) used to take it in turn to go down there for a day or two in the week, and came away thinking "what a nightmare store" etc

If I had never quit my job in Nov, I would have been at the store I liked now, thats the cruel irony of it all, even with my 2 colleagues there, no one would have been moved.

Associate
Dont waste the 2nd chance given as it will also mess up the 6yr experience on your cv/reference.

If your sure you don't want to stay there for the long term then apply asap to other employers and/or colleges/uni, then once you know exactly where your heading next, then hand in your notice.

If no one is selling, then why is the store being kept open?

Last edited:
Consigliere
So, what is actually so bad about it? Get in to details. Sounds like your 'team' just doesn't want to get involved,can't wait to escape?

Surely if you all organise a set day to come in and set things correct, taking a lot of time and effort to restructure the difficult areas, it will make your job easier?

Soldato
OP
Ok it's about selling/promoting banking products.

The people are not interested in that area, it's quite true what they say about different people and areas!

The area is depressing for me, and my colleagues.

Call a tannoy in that store 5 times, NOBODY would enquire.

In the other store, call a tannoy 5 times, at LEAST 2 sales from it!

I am not exagerrating

They will ultimately be shutting that hub down, but we do not know when, it could be 1 month it could be 6 months down the line.

In fact, they will be shutting ALL the instore hubs! And we will be free roaming to other stores in our area, thats better as it means not going to the same one every day.

The problem is, working weekdays is bad, but having to go there on a Saturday is torture, especially working alone there.

Also, the contract I have been given is FIXED TERM, until 31st March... Basically because they are unsure of the future of our role.

(my contract has more holes than swiss cheese, one page says the above, turn over and it says 3 months probationary period... hmm)

I've not been given 'new starter' sales targets (which are low!), as apparantly im not a 'new starter' even though ive been out of the job 3 months.
So my targets are high, im trying to do a half decent job but it cant be done in that store. So with zero sales to my name, theres a chance they might even say we dont want you no matter what happens on 31st March...

See my dilemma?

Consigliere
So you're not complaining about the job - bar the contract? But instead, you're annoyed with the lack of sales interest?

You're not being very specific about what's so bad about the actual job.

Soldato
OP
Im complaining about;

The location, its too far and couple that with the fact its not even WORTH the distance due to not being able to sell anything there anyway! On top of it all!

The people, I don't like the people there.

I dont like selling stuff in that way, but in the other place I could do it much easier.

I go to bed dreading getting up for work every day, its not good!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom