A laptop budget of £600-700

Associate
Hi Everyone,

have been recommended by a friend to join here as i am looking for a Laptop for my teenager.

my budget is around £700 -£1000 and looking for a good overall quality laptop. They are not huge gamers so the graphics card doesnt need to be insane. A SSD of around 128gb is more than enough for the Uni work.

I have thought about the Dell XPS 13 but not sure yet.

Can anyone please advise of some quality laptops between the budget above. (Maybe recommend the top 3)

any help will be very useful

kind Regards

Soldato
If you don't care about whether it's new or not, activate trust and I can send you details of the machine I have for sale (with a year warranty left). It's 17" but would fit your requirements to a tee as long as you don't need it to be on battery most of the time.

Associate
Associate
The link you gave, the laptop cost £799.99 and the code which is WINTER150 give you £150 off so it comes to £650 on the acer store website.

I think this laptop is decent seems well made for one,

Dan.

Associate
How did you manage to get it for £650?haha

Anyways a pic of my new laptop bit blurry but oh well.

81542659_10157888557032375_8235926241954234368_o.jpg

Soldato
that nitro 5 is like mine apart from mines not a nitro and has a 240gb ssd + 1tb hdd where as that only seems to gave a 512gb ssd? my screen is 120hz with freezync, i dont know if that nitro has the same and not listed or just doesnt? i know its not really for gaming usage, but having a fast screen is nice.

my laptop was £700 on a sale price from £850 4 plus months ago, i have now seen it new for under 600? but only in certain places i think.

on an alternative you could probably look at some of those flip ones for example from lenovo, some have i7 processors with intel graphics and ssd drives, i had an old APU one and was nice, flip to tablet mode can be handy.

Associate
that nitro 5 is like mine apart from mines not a nitro and has a 240gb ssd + 1tb hdd where as that only seems to gave a 512gb ssd? my screen is 120hz with freezync, i dont know if that nitro has the same and not listed or just doesnt? i know its not really for gaming usage, but having a fast screen is nice.

my laptop was £700 on a sale price from £850 4 plus months ago, i have now seen it new for under 600? but only in certain places i think.

on an alternative you could probably look at some of those flip ones for example from lenovo, some have i7 processors with intel graphics and ssd drives, i had an old APU one and was nice, flip to tablet mode can be handy.

Yes this laptop of mine has a 512gb ssd and that is it.

Well i take it like this, your screen is 120hz mine is 60hz for me this is no problem as the gpu on this laptop which is a 560 x mobile gpu and if i get 30fps it does not look framey unlike a faster screen if you had 30fps for instance.

So yea if you have a powerful high end gpu in the laptop then it can take advantage of higher 120/144 hertz if not then their is no point in my opinion and may as well get a screen that is lower in hz like 60hz for example, unless you want to live with a stuttery experience.

I know because i have a 144hz 1440p freesync monitor on my main pc and 30fps looks stuttery unlike a 60hz screen which is less noticeable.

Don't get me wrong a faster screen does look better motion wise.

Overall i am happy with this laptop.

Yes take that with a pinch of salt, this stutter experience i know which may be limitations of freesync and nothing to do with the hz rate, so please forgive me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes this laptop of mine has a 512gb ssd and that is it.

Well i take it like this, your screen is 120hz mine is 60hz for me this is no problem as the gpu on this laptop which is a 560 x mobile gpu and if i get 30fps it does not look framey unlike a faster screen if you had 30fps for instance.

So yea if you have a powerful high end gpu in the laptop then it can take advantage of higher 120/144 hertz if not then their is no point in my opinion and may as well get a screen that is lower in hz like 60hz for example, unless you want to live with a stuttery experience.

I know because i have a 144hz 1440p freesync monitor on my main pc and 30fps looks stuttery unlike a 60hz screen which is less noticeable.

Don't get me wrong a faster screen does look better motion wise.

Overall i am happy with this laptop.

Yes take that with a pinch of salt, this stutter experience i know which may be limitations of freesync and nothing to do with the hz rate, so please forgive me.

thats a fair point to make, but given ive got the same gpu i can comfortably say it runs at 120hz@1920x1080 smooth as butter, the only real time i would notice anything negative as far as gaming goes is either if the game is too demanding for the hardware or i try to run at 2560x1440, 3200x1800, 3840x2160 unless the game is lightweight, but while i have super res selected in radeon settings i only keep it at 1080 all round.

either laptops are cracking for the price, the intel models are not too bad either.

Associate
Off topic but this video shows you how long my laptop takes to boot up.

Video above is only 24-25 seconds long so it will take 24-25 seconds of your life hah.

There might be criticism about that video but i am no expert on boot time, it is from when you turn it on and then log into windows, this laptop has my desktop pc beat as well as my chrome book by a few seconds.

Yea few seconds but my desktop pc has to display the bios startup then the windows os loading screen and then finally to log on, i think if my desktop pc was like that and yes it has a ssd as well it should be the same as this.

The reason why i did a video on boot time with this laptop is because i am quite impressed with the boot time.

Last edited:
Associate
thats a fair point to make, but given ive got the same gpu i can comfortably say it runs at 120hz@1920x1080 smooth as butter, the only real time i would notice anything negative as far as gaming goes is either if the game is too demanding for the hardware or i try to run at 2560x1440, 3200x1800, 3840x2160 unless the game is lightweight, but while i have super res selected in radeon settings i only keep it at 1080 all round.

either laptops are cracking for the price, the intel models are not too bad either.

I agree about it being cracking for the price, it is quite competitive at best with 150 quid off the price.

It is well made, the processor and gpu does the job for me and i am using the laptop all the time rather then using my desktop pc because of sitting comfort that is heh, you may say i need a comfortable pc chair but i already have one.

Yeah i would prefer a more powerful laptop but i cannot afford them not at this point in time, but this laptop has enough power for a enjoyable gaming experience though.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Off topic but this video shows you how long my laptop takes to boot up.

Video above is only 24-25 seconds long so it will take 24-25 seconds of your life hah.

There might be criticism about that video but i am no expert on boot time, it is from when you turn it on and then log into windows, this laptop has my desktop pc beat as well as my chrome book by a few seconds.

Yea few seconds but my desktop pc has to display the bios startup then the windows os loading screen and then finally to log on, i think if my desktop pc was like that and yes it has a ssd as well it should be the same as this.

The reason why i did a video on boot time with this laptop is because i am quite impressed with the boot time.
Thx for that vid, is it a ips screen, and is it a great picture ? and is it like glass/hard plastic on front of screen or like that flimsy canvas feel to it, cheers

Back
Top Bottom