A life of darkness, Drink driving.

Associate
Gaverick said:
The flashbacks and memories of the driver will haunt him for the rest of his life...and rightly so! Even if he does get a short prison term i expect the guilt alone will be punishment enough

Guilt .... punishment enough? Maybe to a normal person like you and me with morales and a conscience, a drunk driver has neither. Let the scum rot.

3 weeks ago there was an accident just down the road from where i live, a vauxhall calibra being driven by a drunk @ high speeds lost control and rolled it. 3 of people were thrown from the car, 1 trapped under it. End result being 1 man dies, his girlfriend who was in the car too suffers serious injuries and loses their baby. Another girl in the car dies later in hospital.
Driver lives :mad:

Its amazing how 1 idiot can affect so many peoples lives. Id rather see him dead then see him living it up in a prison cell on our taxes. Bring back the death penalty i say.

Soldato
I see a common theme appearing here and the solution to me is obvious.

Ban Vauxhall Calibras.

;)

Tragic loss of life which could be prevented by better education or traffic policying around town centres and drinking establishments perhaps?

Soldato
If I am driving them I will just drink soft drinks.

Sure, alcohol makes it easier to relax and have a good time but it's not something I need to have a good time, I have my mates for that :)

Soldato
He guy who mowed myself and two friends down in 1993 while many many times over the limit ( too drunk for the breathaliser ) got 3 years, served 18 months and got three years driving ban. He was seen driving a un-taxed car the week after he was released from prison.

I am still suffering the after effects of my injuries, one of the girls who smashed her knee is now using crutches to walk at age 35. Ask yourself if the sentencing policies are correct.

What's annoying is that the local police knew that he was driving whilst banned and yet could do nothing about it.

Oddly enough I don't want to see drink drivers put into prison. I think they should just be banned from driving, for life. If they get caught driving without a license slap them with a huge fine. And yes I think that you should get a life bad for the first offense only a fraction over the limit.

My sympathies go to the mourning families :(

Paul

Soldato
I'm not sure if a one punishment fits all approach is the right one.

On one hand you have the hard line drinkers who drive to the pub knowing they are likely to get drunk and with all intention of driving home.

On the other hand you have the people who go out not intending to get drunk, get carried away and they make a bad spare of the moment decision to drive. Alcohol also affects your judgement.

Both cases are clearly as dangerous as each other, but very different circumstances. I am not suggesting for a minute that anyone should walk away free either. Clearly this guy should do some serious time.

Last edited:

T16

T16

Permabanned
spike's said:
i wouldn't be drink driving. if you drink drive, you take all responsibility for anything that happens.

Which means you dont take any under normal circumstances?

I dont think the drunkeness was the main problem here, I think the fact he was doing 83 and driving recklessly PLUS the additional fact he had been drinking all added up to a horrific end.

You have to really be a moron to be drunk AND drive like that.

T16

T16

Permabanned
Third Opinion said:
I'm not sure if a one punishment fits all approach is the right one.

On one hand you have the hard line drinkers who drive to the pub knowing they are likely to get drunk and with all intention of driving home.

On the other hand you have the people who go out not intending to get drunk, get carried away and they make a bad spare of the moment decision to drive. Alcohol also affects your judgement.

Both cases are clearly as dangerous as each other, but very different circumstances. I am not suggesting for a minute that anyone should walk away free either. Clearly this guy should do some serious time.

And you get the people who intend to get wasted AND then go out and drive recklessly.

I think normal people who drive drunk would make an effort to be careful.

No matter how drunk, youve got to be a real donkey to do things like mounting curbs etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
T16, I might be reading it wrong but are you implying that drink-driving is OK as long as you drive carefully and dont drive recklessly?

Are you serious?

T16

T16

Permabanned
Not literally.

My point was that a wasted teenage thug whos got wrecked and is intent on going out and thrashing his (or a stolen) car, is far worse than an experienced driver whos had too much and needs to get home and would drive carefully.

Both are not excuseable, but one is less excusable than the other.

Associate
The part I don't understand is the cut off,

Well if you are only this drunk you are fine and legal no problems to dive. But only slightly more and it's so bad you cannot drive at all and are going to cause all sorts of accidents?

I really wish they would just go with zero tolerance - if you drink that day/ the night before you should not drive, AT all, period.

James

Soldato
cloudy said:
The part I don't understand is the cut off,

I really wish they would just go with zero tolerance - if you drink that day/ the night before you should not drive, AT all, period.

James

Sorry, rediculous... you would be prosecuting people all over the place..

Sensible limit combined with common sense...

:eek:

Associate
But if alcohol affects you in that way, why is it OK to drive slightly affected?

I actually find it sad that people find it such a problem to just not drink alcoholic drinks when you need to drive.

James

Soldato
happytechie said:
Oddly enough I don't want to see drink drivers put into prison. I think they should just be banned from driving, for life. If they get caught driving without a license slap them with a huge fine. And yes I think that you should get a life ban for the first offense only a fraction over the limit.

Yeah i don't think drunk drivers should be put in prison at all. Simply because you'd need to build about another thousand prisons to accommodate all the drink drivers. But you say fine these people, but if you did give them a £5000 fine or something, they probably just wouldn't pay it! They'd miss court dates, sets it back another 3 months, pay it back at like 10p a week because they are on benefits etc.

The legal system is ****ed!

Back
Top Bottom