A little help/advise on laptop please?

Associate
Hi guys, just after a little advice from the guys in the know (you guys) if that's OK?

We have a laptop but it is very slow and we are deciding weather to do a mod to speed it up or look at a newer 2nd one.

We don't do any gaming, just Internet, video streaming and car diag which can be a little demanding.

We have a Acer Aspire V 15 touch (v3-572pg-530y)

Specs are:

Intel core i5 4210u cpu @ 1.70ghz - 2.40ghz

8gb ram ddr3

Windows 10 pro

1tb 5400rpm

Geforce 840m 2gb cram

Now I know you guys will have laptops that will be miles better than ours but as we don't game I think the specs are ok?

Now as for the trouble bit, the system is so slow (even with fresh Windows install) and I think its the HDD that's possibly bottle necking the system being large and only a 5400rpm?

Now for the cost do you guys think I could add another 8gb ram (16gb) and upgrade the HDD to a SSD 1tb to help bring the system up to spec a little?

Would i see any restrictions on my mother board?

I also noticed my cpu status is 1.7gz and 2.4ghz. Think this means it runs at 1.7gz and when required it will boost to 2.4ghz? Any mod in the bios to run at constant 2.4ghz?

I would rather upgrade this laptop then purchase a newer one just due to cost etc.

Hoping you guys can help?
Ryan.

Associate
I think an SSD and a fresh install of windows will give a noticeable improvement. I'm not sure the gains from additional ram will be as noticable.

Soldato
For what you are going to be using it for any decent ssd will be fine.

And most ssd's nowadays are 7mm so unless your laptop has a weird caddy they should all fit.

Permabanned
1) SSD, any kind.
2) Fresh install of windows AND then tweak windows to remove or disable all the frivolous real-time rubbish that you dont use, even a fresh install has useless stuff. e.g. do you use or want cortana?, if not disable.
3) Look at task manager to see what is using up all the resources. Get rid of/disable stuff you dont want or need that is not essential bits if windows.

CPU speeds: Have you tried 'undervolting', that sorted mine out

Back
Top Bottom