A note on Zen 2 Ryzen 3900x with Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi

Associate
Just popping this up in case anyone runs into it.

Moved my rig onto a 3900x today and got a BSOD on first boot. BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER.

Thankfully a nice easy one, boot to safe mode, disable the wifi card temporarily.

Issue was chipset drivers. Just make sure you have updated them before installing the new CPU or bad things will happen. After you install them, update the wifi driver and good to go.

I should probably have done this prior to the event to save myself an hour arsing around, but hopefully this leaves a search engine trail for the next person to do this :)

Kev

Associate
OP
Needs the F40 bios Rab, released in May. Just got the 3900x in and ticking along nicely at 32 degrees and 59 under prime 95 torture. It is not boosting past 4.2ghz yet for some reason.

Soldato
@GIGA-Man , not sure if gigabyte has come across this ?

Just popping this up in case anyone runs into it.

Moved my rig onto a 3900x today and got a BSOD on first boot. BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER.

Thankfully a nice easy one, boot to safe mode, disable the wifi card temporarily.

Issue was chipset drivers. Just make sure you have updated them before installing the new CPU or bad things will happen. After you install them, update the wifi driver and good to go.

I should probably have done this prior to the event to save myself an hour arsing around, but hopefully this leaves a search engine trail for the next person to do this :)

Kev

nice one! needing 3600x to replace my god aweful 2700 non X that should have never left the production line ! haha

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

heads up, BEFORE F30 BIOS UPDATE

Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before update this BIOS

BEFORE F40

Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

Associate
Associate
OP
Yep just to clarify I did all that good stuff. It doesn't mention installing new chipset drivers though. Probably a no brainer for most but caught me out and I've been in IT for a decade ha.

Edit: balls- looks like I got caught as I hadn't gone through the F30 update process previously

Associate
OP
Fantastic board so far mate, great stable WiFi too if you care for that. 1.1 apparently fixes some misreadings with temps so you might want to grab that unless the price diff is significant.

Associate
Fantastic board so far mate, great stable WiFi too if you care for that. 1.1 apparently fixes some misreadings with temps so you might want to grab that unless the price diff is significant.

Yep I been following the threads on the Gigabyte x470 gaming 7 WIFI on the gigabyte USA Forum, Rev 1.1 :)
ya
miss readings with temps of the vcore that's off by 1
updated the Audio DACs in some way & few other things they tweaked

Soldato
Well OCUK should have stock still of the Rev 1.1, but yet to make it go live
otherwise I go for the 1.0 or Buy any , I am a prime member so if it comes to it :)

Goodo! It won't disappoint. People have said the bios is a bit more limited than others (maybe the earlier ones) but there's more than enough to fry my brain now

new bios look of x570 will come to x470 after X570 has been sorted out i think . Hopefully lessons learnt will be applied to B550

Back
Top Bottom