A question about selling and payments.

Soldato
I have just begun to have a clearout and have an item for sale (not here incidentally). I had initially asked for payment via bank transfer as I believed this to be the most secure, having read some of the horror stories people have gone through.

Now I am not a very confident online seller and a buyer has offered payment via PP or PP gift and I am a little unsure as to whether I should accept. The item I am selling is in perfect working order but I am not selling it with or implying it comes with any form of guarantee. I am however worried that by using PP, the seller could put a resolution in 2-3 months down the line if he/she breaks the item.

I know thousands of people do millions of transactions every day but I seem to be a magnet for hassle and consequently have so much stuff to sell but just keep putting it off. Some advice on what payment options I should accept would be most welcome from selling gurus please.

Caporegime
People want to use PP for their own protection from dodgy sellers too.

I dont know what percent of people are scammers on Ebay but at some point you have to just accept there is, what i consider, a minute risk.

Ofc cetain items attract more scams than others so take that into account

Last edited:
Soldato
Paypal Gift has no protection for the buyer or the seller. Once the money is transferred thats it.

Regardless of the payment made, it can always been reversed by the credit card provider.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback. I can totally see the pros and cons for both sides of the deal and fully understand that some form of protection should be in place to cover the transaction but don't feel that some 40 days down the line after I have posted next day delivery, that someone should be able to retract payment.

Caporegime
As said paypal gift can't be reversed by the buyer filing a complaint. However, paypal and paypal gift could be made with a stolen credit card and the CC company can come back later and take the money back.

Therefore as a seller BT is best for you as you are sure to have the money.

Soldato
OP
Damn agreed to PP gift now but will have to suck it up I guess. Buyer has made payment but although the transaction shows completed it is down as "Instant" under transaction type and there is a note at the bottom of the transaction stating that chargebacks can be made against this transaction blah blah. Not sure if that means it wasn't a PP gift after all.

Back
Top Bottom