1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

A Question of (expected) Supply and Demand

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LWH, 9 Apr 2021.

1. Game

Wise Guy

a lot of the demand has been people working from home and realising that a laptop while ok is not really suited to a home office

also its just that upgrade time so many 4-5 year old systems have been viable for a while and still are but the jumps in performance both gpu and cpu this year make it worth upgrading

2. HangTime

Man of Honour

Apart from anything else this would be bad business practice because it would increase the cycle time on these units i.e. having to hold stock rather than keep pushing it down the chain, and delay revenue arriving.

With current demand levels a "significant number" would likely need to be measured in thousands, not hundreds anyway.

3. markthechef

Gangster

Does reCAPTCHA actually work? No as bot's can do "CAPTCHA " and add to baskets !
    Before you can click on the link to the page to look at the card ... and it's only goin to get worse as when the new 3070/80ti's drop most will be scooped up by Bots

4. Benass

Hitman

I do not know how bots works, but i have seen documentry about bots vs sneekers and why some bots cost 10 000 $ yes faking 10k $
    Sneakers are colectables and ppl pay big money for them. scalpers buy bots (limited edition haha) to stay ahead.. gives you a new perspective on whole internet shoping thing.
    on that documentry there is explanation how bots operate.

5. Destination

Capodecina

The forum does.
    I just wonder if all it takes is one to feed the code to the bottom.

6. Defiant306

Wise Guy

At this point I would pay a fee to enter an invite to buy order and have conversation with a human at the company I'm buying from. I think taking it old school is the only way forward if this is to stop botting.

Harder to stop scalpers for sure though :/

7. V F

Capodecina

Even keyboards were selling like crazy. Steelseries TKL etc on their site were always listing as sold out or waitlists a month or two ago.

8. Geodude97AD

Gangster

OCUK should just increase their pricing and pocket the scalpers profits, after all people are feeding the Scalpers more cash which just goes into the next card release. If your going to get scalped you may as well get a warranty, and no I have not and will not be feeding the scalpers. I will just wait this out.

9. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

The solution is to stop paying scalper prices, if they have no market then they have no business. I'm hoping the lifting of lockdown restrictions can direct people to other hobbies which will help this situation out.

10. Game

Wise Guy

steel series sold out a lot of products but that could be supply chain Issues

but demand on everything does seem to be up

they only just got restocked on mouse pads and they are flying out again

11. karl01

Gangster

OCUK have massively increased there prices all ready

12. d_brennen

Capodecina

I don't think paying more is the answer to an egregious shortage of a consumer electronics device

13. Defiant306

Wise Guy

Dont think it will ever happen, you have the desperate and you have the people who are disconnected from the value of money as they are rich enough for them not to care. There will always be a market in my view.

14. BlueInf

Gangster

Jensen is trying to make money from miners but also tries to look like he cares about gamers

15. BlueInf

Gangster

The FEs are protected by catchpas and to me knowledge they are the only drops where I see so many humans posting on the Discord I hang around that they finally got their GPU, so I think catchpas would work.

16. Chud_Jenny

Hitman

That's sad to hear! I was one of the lucky 200, the card is in my son's PC and is amazingly good. He's loving running Fortnite with RT on. It's broken all the 3Dmark scores for a 3700x/6700XT system. My other 20 years build experience coming in there I think lol.

17. guddler

Associate

The fact that there is huge genuine demand from gamers doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I’ve been on a sub-Reddit where people show off their gaming rigs for the last 6 months (dunno why frankly!) and the amount of “my first ever pc build” posts is insane. And that has to be a fraction of a fraction of people. Obviously there are supply issues but genuine demand is through the roof too.

18. DD_Crash

Gangster

I think that the take up of VR and 4k gaming is responsible for some of the demand

19. Mr G

Wise Guy

Care to share that discord group?

20. BlueInf

Gangster

That’s a really good card. The new gen is really amazing