A Quiet Place

Soldato
I really enjoyed it. The majority of the people in the cinema were quiet.
I did have one complete idiot over to my right - if the film had gone on for another 15 minutes I was going to ram the rest of his bloody popcorn down his throat for him.
It really was atmospheric - although, and I won't spoil, what kind of scientists did we have in this world if they couldn't figure out something a young child could?

Soldato
Most suspenseful nail in cinema!!

Amen to that.

Great film.

The ending where the father sacrificed himself hit me in the feels and gave me a very 'The Mist' feeling about it.

Personally I would have preferred this movie to end on more of a down note. The last shot showing the beasts hauling ass to the house after the shotgun blast should have made it certain that the family were going to get toasted.

Anyone feel it had a very 'The Last Of Us' feeling about it. The 'clickers' similarity nailed.it for me.

Caporegime
^ perhaps....

Though it could be a touch ambiguous as the monsters are going to charge them through a bottleneck - even if they somehow managed to fight then off, they might get entombed with all that dead weight :p

Don
The ending where the father sacrificed himself hit me in the feels and gave me a very 'The Mist' feeling about it.

Personally I would have preferred this movie to end on more of a down note. The last shot showing the beasts hauling ass to the house after the shotgun blast should have made it certain that the family were going to get toasted.

But she's just ramped up the volume to 11, when the monsters turn up, they will be chocolate teapots ripe for close range shotgun blasts :D

The one part I found silly..
..when the daughter pushed the silo hatch over to her brother, then sunk down herself. Brother then uses all his strength from one weak arm to pull her out of the corn. Whilst tightly gripping his torch in the other hand. It just looked all wrong.

Awesome film though, it's early in the year, but I reckon it will be the best cinematic experience of 2018.

Thankfully everyone in the cinema was quiet as a mouse. The people selling the tickets/popcorn were encouraging everyone to smash their confectionery during the trailers as to not spoil the film :)

Caporegime
God yeah, those popcorn eaters really stand out in a film like this.

Saw the trailers for Hereditary and Truth or Dare - looked decent.

Soldato
Most suspenseful nail in cinema!!

I really enjoyed that.

Oh man when that bit came I couldn't look because you knew what was coming.

I tend to hate horror films but really enjoyed this. It was strangely quiet (who would've thought it with a name like 'A Quiet Place') so much so that I worried about having to cough at one stage. And it was nice watching a horror film which didn't rely on jump scares (I counted maybe 2 or 3) which was a nice change.

I would've liked it to have ended 5 minutes later but they got the pacing right.

Man of Honour
C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker! Sorry chaps, didn't think was very good.

Good:

The concept is by far away the best thing about the film. It is quite a unique experience sitting through the cinema in relative silence - moronic fellow cinema-goers aside, naturally. However, if you have seen the film 'Don't Breathe' you will be familiar with the sort of tension this 'don't make a noise' mechanic operates with, so if you haven't seen 'Don't Breathe' then this film may how wowed you more with its concept than me.

Within the 'main concept', the idea of the lead woman being pregnant and giving birth amongst the chaos was really neat. That was a generally excellent scene (save as mentioned below).

The monsters also felt genuinely menacing and were well designed. Quite gross too, with all their wibbly head appendages.

Some of the jump scares were very jumpy (although see below).

Special mention for that nail - that was truly hideous!

Bad:

If you are going too use this mechanic, be consistent with the rules! There were numerous moments in which the film seemed to ignore the logic set within the previous scenes. As first, the quietest of noises can alert them and bring monsters to the location of the noise virtually immediately. Knowing this, the characters continue to do things that would risk creating great noise. I won't go through them all but the most offensive moment, and I'm sure the idea was that it was a 'dumb thing to do', was the boy deciding the run through the cornfield and somehow surviving. He should have been mincemeat, noting how quick the monsters appears after the 'nail fiasco'. Similarly, but less offensively, the woman screaming in pain (perfectly understandable in childbirth) would surely have been insta-death noting the proximity of the monsters to her (even taking into account the fireworks going off moments before). Then they start running around all over the place when its unnecessary to do so, including the boy leaping into the stationary truck. Kind of took me out of it, I must say.

Similar to the above point - I was irked at people doing silly things. The aforementioned cornfield run was ultra dumb, but the most silly was the suicide of the lead male. All the alternatives he had as opposed to just standing there. Why not run away from the car, make a noise then hide? I don't know... again, seemed odd.

The start of this film, post-title, was mind-numbingly slow and was mildly irritating. Anyone who has ever watched any post-apocalyptic film may as well skip the first 30 mins, which added virtually nothing, certainly nothing that led to any emotional payoff later on.

The 'method to kill the monsters' was so obvious from the moment you saw the radio shack that the rest of the film was me just waiting for that obvious resolution.

Jump scares were jumpy but cheap. I don't even dislike jump scares, but 'dead silence' then 'loud noise' is just jump scares are their crudest form, I'm afraid.

The was it ended the film, on that cliffhanger, was irritating and unnecessary.

So, good idea - dissatisfactory execution.

5/10

If you like this then there is a film with similar themes called 'Don't Breath', which I would recommend (and I would give an 8/10). Seeing that first may have tainted this for me.

Also, I couldn't help but quip as soon as the credits rolled, "this is the first horror film I've seen in the cinema that made me wish it was actually real". Yeah sure, that makes me a bit of an ass myself, but.... Morons!!! Can you not be quiet in a film about being quiet!

I swear to god, in the scene where the deaf girl had a monster coming out behind her in silence, a middle aged lady loudly proclaimed in fright, in a silent cinema "OH NO - IT'S BEHIND HER". My god!!!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think this movie (as said in Kermode and Mayo) is really for the cinema and not at home viewing. The entire experience of keeping quiet with all your fellow movie goers is like the experience of the characters, you won't get that at home sitting alone allowed to make all the noises that you can make. The silence is amplified at the cinema and will be all the more obvious if you make a sound, just like the film.

Caporegime
Saw it lastnightl.
I'm with nightfly on this. Excellent concept but not excently executed.
Sure it has suspension, but it lacks consistency.
That isn't to say it's not an enjoyable shared experience in a cinema, Blunt and her hubby director are great, but I just didn't quiet get in the zone. The kids often pulled me out.

best supporting actor goes to 6" nail for its epic portrayal of itself

I find the scenes where they are in close proximity to the creatures pretty stupid. A creature that has that advanced hearing system that can not detect a breathing, heartbeating human at 3m just is terrible. It had a clicking echo location vibe to it too. It's a bloody killing machine that can find the source of a loud sound after the event but not close up..../SPOILER]

Its earned x10 of its 17m$ budget expect prequal.

Soldato
Saw it last night and thought it was brilliant. Agree with efours second point though, that was a bit unrealistic. Emily Blunt is fantastic again, I've got a lot of time for her.

Soldato
What am I missing with Emily Blunt, there is obviously a lot of love for her going down, but looking at her filmography (of which I've seen a few of them but would never have realised) she has never really jumped out at me - in an acting pov.

Soldato
Yeah she was excellent in Sicario, one of my favourite films of the last decade. Her performance in The Girl on the Train was great too, although I didn't like the film all that much. I think she's just a very good jobbing actress who often gets overlooked because she doesn't fall into the trap of playing some "hot" bimbo or token "hot girl" role etc. Kudos for that.

Back
Top Bottom