A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

OcUK Staff
OP
even including your mustang ?

Ford were sensible warranty is fine but the mod invalidates warranty on that part of car. Remap no engine warranty though sometimes Ford will still help. :)

I was thinking more Porsche who can be very against the most basic mods but as with all these things it’s about how you get on with your dealer. A good dealer does wonders for owner experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ford were sensible warranty is fine but the mod invalidates warranty on that part of car. Remap no engine warranty though sometimes Ford will still help. :)

I was thinking more Porsche who can be very against the most basic mods but as with all these things it’s about how you get on with your dealer. A good dealer does wonders for owner experience.
A friend of mine was refused a Porsche warranty as the car had aftermarket (albeit very professionally done) rear parking sensors on his 996 Turbo. Seems barmy that they can't just 'not cover' that part of the car.

OcUK Staff
OP
A friend of mine was refused a Porsche warranty as the car had aftermarket (albeit very professionally done) rear parking sensors on his 996 Turbo. Seems barmy that they can't just 'not cover' that part of the car.

That is unfortunately how Porsche are they can even refuse warranty due to tyres and wipers.

Ferrari is a lot less anal, you can fit any tyre you want, you can have an exhaust etc. Ferrari basically said mods are fine but no remains and if you cause an engine light due to a mod then warranty is invalid if the mod is believed to cause the issue.

There are a few 458’s for sale with exhaust from Ferrari with warranty.

I’ve being looking at Novitec F1 system with de-cats and OBD blocker to stop emissions light and Ferrari will fit and warranty it, so they are somewhat a different world if it’s Novitec it Capristo they seem happy to fit it under warranty. Not saying I will I like the stock sound but knowing me I’ll change it in a years time to spice up the car.

But I love the car and I’ve not driven it fast or hard yet just love driving it.

Man of Honour
Find a different OPC. A good one will sort something. They make exclusions so would remove the sensors from any claim for example.

Soldato
That is unfortunately how Porsche are they can even refuse warranty due to tyres and wipers.

Ferrari is a lot less anal, you can fit any tyre you want, you can have an exhaust etc. Ferrari basically said mods are fine but no remains and if you cause an engine light due to a mod then warranty is invalid if the mod is believed to cause the issue.

There are a few 458’s for sale with exhaust from Ferrari with warranty.

I’ve being looking at Novitec F1 system with de-cats and OBD blocker to stop emissions light and Ferrari will fit and warranty it, so they are somewhat a different world if it’s Novitec it Capristo they seem happy to fit it under warranty. Not saying I will I like the stock sound but knowing me I’ll change it in a years time to spice up the car.

But I love the car and I’ve not driven it fast or hard yet just love driving it.
I heard something similar about using a non Moll (I.e. decent:p) battery invalidating the warranty

Soldato
Stunning car, congrats :D

I recently bought a gen 2 r8 and feel like its the best car ever so got knows what the Ferrari feels like a big step up.

Nice color too, good to see a different color out there

Caporegime
What would the benifit to a lithium battery be in a car anyway, saving a few kgs out of a ton is going to make 0 difference surely?
It’s not just about weight - although a few small savings here & there soon adds up - it’s more a case of much longer life, quicker charging, smaller footprint, ability to provide cranking power for longer and no lead in the environment.

Soldato
20kg is a big saving.
Is it though? If a car weighs a ton it's only 2%. Although i didn't realise batteries weighed that much, in something like a lotus I could see it making a difference but not in anything that weighs double that (also didn't realise they were that expensive, battery not the car:p).

OcUK Staff
OP
Is it though? If a car weighs a ton it's only 2%. Although i didn't realise batteries weighed that much, in something like a lotus I could see it making a difference but not in anything that weighs double that (also didn't realise they were that expensive, battery not the car:p).

20kg battery
20kg from diet
20kg from wheels
20kg from toolkit, tyre pump, tyre gel etc.
40kg from lighter seats

The above is not the Ferrari, but the point is it all adds up and the moment you've got 50kg out of a car, you can feel it, well I can, the moment you pull 100kg out it becomes really noticeable.

My M3 must have being 1440kg when I got it as was partially stripped, I got a further 100+ out, put a tad back in with cage, its now around 1330kg, but that additional 100kg out made a huge difference to acceleration, handling, braking and decreased wear and tear on the car.

It adds up, of course nothing beats removing unsprung mass, some say its worth two fold of normal mass, some say its even higher like triple/quad, all I will say is you notice it, even if its just a couple of kilos from each corner it can be felt in ride quality and turn in.

But on the Ferrari, would I notice 20kg from the battery, probably not, but if I'd say at somepoint fitted lighter wheels, more carbon and was upto 50kg you would, but that is not the plan for the car.

The battery was considered, because I own the battery, it is zero cost to do, but it is pointless because it won't fit, hence selling on. Mods for 458 are tyres, sort the brakes, maybe an exhaust down the road, I've being won over by the event of driving it, maybe its honey moon period, we shall see. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom