A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

Soldato
The Porsche used to get quite some hate thrown towards it, though no one ever touched it but you'd often get not so welcome gestures. But maybe as I was younger I was also driving around like a total pleb. :D

It’s weird how different cars have different reactions. My original Z4 Coupe, in dark blue was very well received. Always let our junctions and waved at etc. However my new, bright orange Z4 is universally hated by anyone over 10 years old. I’ve even had people carriers race me and make a point of overtaking me (despite me being bang on the speed limit). Weird!

OcUK Staff
OP
What's your average MPG if you've any idea Gibbo?

No idea as there is no gauge on the car because they clearly don't want you to know how terrible it is.

I'd say its somewhere between 9-11mpg average, maybe around 20 on a motorway journey. Ferrari may have got 125HP per litre from the car, but at the expense of fuel economy.

Soldato
Double figures isn't bad from that car, i don't get much higher than 25 when im on the motorway in my e92. The trade off for large N/A engines. Its a pain having to stand so long when filling the tank though:p. I guess as well when you're having fun driving, the mpgzz is last thing on your mind:D.

OcUK Staff
OP
Well not a good start too today. :(

Went to start the car this morning, does not turn over, just dimms lights, then dash comes up electrical fault, programming required blah blah.
My instinct suggest flat battery, watching some youtube videos pretty much confirms as much.

I emailed Ferrari, they rang me, they pretty much confirmed, they have told me how to manually release front bonnet and connect the trickle charger to see if it can give it live, but suspect battery is past its best as they don't last particular great.

The bad news is I park the car in a defensive manner, that means I can't get all three cars of the drive as the gates cannot be opened and I can't get the Ferrari in neutral so its totally not moving.
I've told them this and they have offered if 100% confirm battery dead to either send up assist to recover the car back to them, not sure how they would get around the gates due to not being able to select neutral they I am sure they have jumper kits that can fit the battery.

They also have offered to courier me a battery as they know I am capable to work om a car and the good news is though warranty technically does not cover battery, but due to how recent after collection is that they would foot the bill.

In short the supplying dealership "Dick Lovett" has being nothing short of awesome with service and prices for stuff, as they did offer ceramic brakes all round at over half cost, fitting of plugs at half that of another dealer and now willing to provide a battery free of charge. It is good service that goes such a long way and they are so fast to respond and so quick to give solutions and answers. :)

But it must be a yellow car thing, Mac's broke this past week (front suspension failure), Kindai's de-cat pipes don't fit and now mine won't start which is just hopefully the battery.

Man of Honour
Ah man, at least you don't have the stress of forking out and knowing they will assist you. If you were to take it in for warranty work, do you have to go back down to Swindon or will any Dick Lovett Ferrari dealership look at it?

OcUK Staff
OP
Ah man, at least you don't have the stress of forking out and knowing they will assist you. If you were to take it in for warranty work, do you have to go back down to Swindon or will any Dick Lovett Ferrari dealership look at it?

Any Ferrari dealership can deal with it, but the fact the service from these guys seems so good, I'd rather take the drive to them and its not so bad because my Mrs lives down that way so I can just stay with her and gives us an excuse to get away for a few days. :)

Caporegime
I thought you had fitted a lithium battery ? Probably a good reminder of why they often aren’t great on road cars. McLaren have issues with them I understand

OcUK Staff
OP
I thought you had fitted a lithium battery ? Probably a good reminder of why they often aren’t great on road cars. McLaren have issues with them I understand

Nope it would not fit, its a small area, so Mac purchased that one from me.

It is why getting jump leads onto the Ferrari stock battery is not easy, the battery literally only just fits.
Going to connect up the tender to trickle charge tonight, if it then starts tomorrow its battery and Ferrari can courier me one up and I shall change it out myself.

Caporegime
Worth setting up a CTEK and regularly connecting the car to it? Plugs are waterproof so can remain outside.

Large engine to turn over so i bet the battery condition doesn't need to drop much for a failed start.

OcUK Staff
OP
Worth setting up a CTEK and regularly connecting the car to it? Plugs are waterproof so can remain outside.

Yeah the car came with one, but as I've being using it daily I never considered using it as such.
I think and suspect it was just a battery close to end of its life cycle.

It is quite well known in Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari circles that their AGM batteries are not so great quality and tend to die within 2-3yr, as I won't be paying I shall take a replacement, when that goes I shall get a better quality unit of same size but more cranking and more amp hours. :)

Caporegime
I’ll say it - Bloody Italian electronics! :p :D

How do you move an auto when the battery has died (im assuming with no power the gearbox is stuck in 'P'?
Depends on the gearbox tbh, on some automatics (usually older ones) lack of electrical power makes no difference,in the case of an electronically controlled/operated ‘box then you’d - in most cases - just get power to the vehicle via either a jump start or charger.

Back
Top Bottom