1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A slight spruce up...(new allotment)

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by rotters, Mar 18, 2019.

1. rotters

Soldato

I took over this allotment last year and didn't really do much with it, but Ive just had 2 weeks leave and voila...really proud of what Monty (my 13 year old lad) and myself have managed to achieve. A friend lent me his rotovator. Another friends father has a reclamation yard for the wood. The greenhouse was free on a local FB marketplace, we took it apart jet washed the moss off of it and rebuilt it with no broken glass!The lot we took over took some bloomen clearing and bindweed will be an issue forever but we now have 2.5 raised beds and seedlings appearing in the greenhouse. oh and I love my dual compost bins (just need a tarp to finish off the lid). Fence posts and new chicken wire is on their way..oh and it has a pond with lots of little frogs.

The left bed is 6.51m x 1.47m = 9.56m2
    The wider bed on the right is 1.87m x 6.76m = 12.64m2
    The narrower bed on the right is 4.8m x 1.20m = 5.76m2

so 28.05m2 growing space + the greenhouse and a few other spaces I can use.

Its all looking rather tidy and ready to grow some food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am an allotoholic.

rotters

2. poosemon

Wise Guy

Looks great! We took ours on late last year. Managed to get the bulk of it cleared and sprayed down before Xmas. Previous holder (despite leaving it in an utter state) had a good Rhubarb patch which we have already enjoyed some of the goods from :)

Our first foray in to this, very little experience but have enjoyed so far. Just planted up a couple of rows of onions, potatoes going in later in the week if weather stays good. Got some other bits just getting going in our conservatory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 200sols

Wise Guy

Looks good. I planted my potatoes and onions at the weekend :D

4. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Fantastic work. I’d love an allotment but I don’t have the time to make it as good as I would want. It would probably end up as one of the overgrown messy ones. Small raised beds at the end of the garden will suffice for now and I’ll learn how to do everything on a small scale in preparation for when I’ve got the time to do it properly (probably in about 30 years!).

5. poosemon

Wise Guy

I can see how ours is going to need attention, we will mostly be doing stuff at the weekends, and as summer comes and longer evenings i am sure we will be there some evenings too. We have a 5 year old so she is gaining more interest in it now as stuff is being planted/growing rather then us just clearing it down :) We are fortunate that our garden backs onto these allotments and the entrance is easily within walking distance of us! There is a good community of people around them too, guy next to us as a full size (pics above are a half size plot on this site!) and keeps his pristine so been happy to take some advice of him...

For £30/year we cant argue!

6. Haze

Mobster

I helped a friend clear an allotment in Cov once, was a lot worse than the pics you posted, was basicly a massive load of brambles and other crap

7. poosemon

Wise Guy

On ours, there were 4 plots available on the day, so they invited 4 off the waiting list to choose the plot they wanted. One couple chose one of the other plots which was in a far worse state then ours with brambles/broken sheds/glass and all sorts on it. They picked that one over the others as they fancied a project!