1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A warning to Kodak Printer owners - burning smell!

Discussion in 'Printers' started by mothermachine, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mothermachine

Wise Guy

My AIO 5250 just went "pop". Something inside or in the power bit at least. Very strong burning smell like a capacitor went pop or something. It still works and prints fine and didn't shut off during this... But it's obviously a fire risk. Had to evacuate my house and get my partner and kid out! Bit alarming...

Was plugged in directly to wall socket and no electrics/wiring issues here AFAIK. Less than a year old.

I've informed Kodak and will see what their response will be. I'm sure a replacement is in order and hopefully it's just an isolated incident from a dodgy printer but I wanted to warn you folks in case any of you have a Kodak printer. Not that there's anything you can do of course... if it happens it happens.

Not bought from OCUK.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

I know... worst "my printer exploded" thread ever.

2. Unicorn

Mobster

Sounds like a rare incident to which you will receive a generic response from Kodak for along with maybe vouchers for a replacement or a free repair

3. mothermachine

Wise Guy

I'm hoping so. I've not seen any other reports of this happening anywhere else online so looking that way.

4. weeroo

Gangster

i work in a computer supplies company. i hate Kodak with a passion, it is still a good brand tho but personally i would stick with a better brand.

out of interest are you using original or compatible cartridges?

5. mothermachine

Wise Guy

genuine kodak cartridges. looks like something on the roller inside burnt out as there are burn marks in horizontal lines on the actual print itself.... nasty...............

6. weeroo

Gangster

nasty indeed. i have seen something similar when refills are used. i hope they sort it out quick.

7. BlackBat

Hitman

I'm just trying to be helpful but surely if it's something on the roller it would be vertical (top to bottom of the page) lines, if there are horizontal lines (burn marks) then it would more likely be something on the head assembly as this goes across the page (right to left to right) as you print. AFAIK the only component which is hot is the print head on the cartridge so it could be a faulty or contaminated cartridge, obviously not even seeing the device or marked paper put's me at a slight dis-advantage, but can you see where I'm coming from?

8. kmax86

Wise Guy

cheers for the heads up i have the esp 5250 hope my will be fine

9. Justintime

Sgarrista

Really? For that? i'd have just, you know, carried the Printer outside or something?

10. welshdragon

Soldato