• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A year on from 30 series release

Soldato
Yeah I know there are plenty of GPU threads. Just thought it might be good to reflect on what's happened in the year since the 30 series cards came out, and what might be coming round the corner in 2022.

I bought my 3070 FE a year ago this month. Wanted a 3080 FE, couldn't get one. Tried for months after, still no luck. I see that availability is still shocking, and prices are still crazy.

I still hold my view that the FE cards were the only ones with value for money. The AIBs added nothing to this release, in my view. Yet I see retailers can now charge 3080 FE money for a 3060 Ti.

Are we in for more of the same going forward?

Will the 40 series / AMD 7000 series offer 2x or more performance increase, and when will we see it?

Just on AMD, their whole release was abysmal. They don't deserve to be in the game with how poor their availability was. It felt like they made about 10 units and launched.

Also to add - this section of the forum used to be a hive of activity and discussion. In the last year its felt like the GPU situation has killed this too. We've all been seriously put off by it, I feel.

Associate
My guess is despite the generational leap in performance in gpu's the scalping and lack of availability has put a bad taste in pc community as a whole.

Will it recover? Sure. When? Don't know. The uncertainty and analyst's extending thier prediction of when it could get better has tainted pc building as a hobby.

Fe cards are the most valuable yet they seem to not exist unless your a bot or have robot like reflexes to buy one. Although I couldn't purchase a Fe card I bought a AIB card instead. With AMD they are just aswell in the same boat with Nvidia and any other electronic devices.

Soldato
Just on AMD, their whole release was abysmal. They don't deserve to be in the game with how poor their availability was. It felt like they made about 10 units and launched.

We'll have Intel soon entering the market. AMD make more money from CPU, they get far more working die per wafer and their Epyc and Ryzen chips have been selling hand over fist, not to mention console. AMD have practically no reason to divert wafers to large GPUs to sell at "normal" price points, especially in times of shortage.

Hopefully crypto mining recedes somewhat next year and Intel bring something compelling.

Soldato
It really has been a strange year. I was super excited to get a 3080 TUF from release, (from ocuk) having sold my 1080Ti a couple of weeks earlier. I had no idea how lucky I was, and also how cheaply I had sold the 1080Ti after prices went through the roof!

I think AIB's have been truly truly shocking through all this, they have made zero effort to look after their customer base, in fact the opposite, they have treated us like one big cash cow. Seeing AIB's jumping on the scalper bandwagon has been disgusting to see. (Yes it's a business, they need to make money etc. But taking advantage of people is a bit much)

It's bizarre how Nvidia have been slammed through all this, and yet they are still holding last years price point for their products, and they are currently still available at these prices, (if you are willing to put a small amount of effort into getting one). It's strange how Nvidia are the shining light in all this! You show me anyone else selling at last years prices.

Reading through these gpu forums, has been a sorry state of affairs. People have been very emotional over graphics cards, and haven't been shy at posting vile comments thrown at any one that will listen. I honestly have no idea what on earth will happen when the next generation cards are released... More of the same? Who knows. Pass the popcorn ;)

Permabanned
Beginning to think this was a reallignment of the global market as opposed to a temporary 'shortage'. I think we could be looking at 3 more years before stock is plentiful.

Soldato
It took me nearly a year from release to get my card, and that was an FE. There was no way I was paying the prices asked for AIB versions. In the end, I paid close to £400, around double what I would normally pay.

I was really starting to question whether I would exit PC gaming as a result of this delay and the ludicrous pricing. Even a six year old secondhand Gtx970 currently sells for more than £130 on ebay.

I would guess that continuation of this situation will push people to console, as they give up on upgrading or building their first PC.

Associate
Not comparing the same thing? Either way the ever escalating costs of PC components have become poor value.

I have a 3080 FE, I dont consider it good value.
Huh? I'm comparing a graphics card to a graphics card, how is that not the same thing?
As for PC components, apart from GPUs the rest of the components are relatively good value IMO

Associate
So you don't think a 3060 Ti FE at £369 that was on par as a £1400 2080Ti isn't value for money?

You could argue that the 2080ti was overpriced at the time - being at the top end. Also availability was rife and there was many aib options.

It is a different market and I don't think you can readily compare old gen and new gen. If you want too though, 2080 ti has an approx 11% uplift in performance over the 3060 ti. That same 11-14% uplift is valued at £400 between prices of FE 3080 and the 3080 ti. So you can see where the argument can become muddled.

Soldato
My guess is despite the generational leap in performance in gpu's the scalping and lack of availability has put a bad taste in pc community as a whole.

The performance figures and prices at release made this generation look really good but that's all gone now and we are left with cards that are barely better than last gen in terms of price performance and for some even worse price performance vs Turing an RDNA 1.

Soldato
FE were not value for money, only value in relation to overpriced third party cards.
I don't think this is valid. The price reflects what very clever analysts have calculated. The RRP of this card reflected the higher resale value that older cards would achieve on the 2nd hand market and the fact that people can easily mine on the card to recoup money.

To me this has been the CHEAPEST card I've ever bought. I sold my 1080ti for a very fair price (i could have got more on ebay) and I'll recoup easily the difference in mining bitcoin. £60+ already in.

Even without those two things I don't think 650 for a 3080FE is outrageous, but it is very very close to being so I would agree with that.

Soldato
Not really considering the 2080Ti was grossly overpriced to begin with. It was worth about $700 at best.

OP mentioned performance rather than price. 3060ti for £369 against a 2080ti for £1200 which is similiar performance 3060ti is a bargain. Even if the 2080ti was £700 the 3060ti still a bargain which ever way you look at it.
3060ti is a cracking card at £369 the performance/£ ratio is brilliant against a 2080ti. It also undervolts/overclocks really well and was only 200 points less than my 3070 at stock in Timespy.

@delvey I agree with you.

In reflection I went 3060ti FE > Palit 3070 > 3080 Fe > 6900xt so you could say I`m past the 3xxx reflection.

6900xt was the card I always wanted just took me six months after release to get one.

Associate
Nvidia are excellent when it comes to marketing so even when you overpay you think your getting a deal.
So what do you think a good price for the 3060Ti is then? Considering the likes of the Vega 64 and 5700XT were both more expensive at launch than the 3060Ti and only offered a slight performance on the previous gen I'm puzzled to what a good price would be. As you said, £700 for a 2080Ti should have been the launch price, still double the 3060Ti.

Back
Top Bottom