• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A10-5800K in a AM3+ socket?

Associate
Hey folks,

Dumb question but I've got a Sabertooth 990FX board which uses a AM3+ socket. Everything I read before Piledrivers release said they would work in a AM3+ socket. But now everything seems to say they use FM2.

So could someone clarify, will a A10-5800K processor fit into a AM3+ socket or would I need to buy a new board that has a FM2 socket?

Soldato
Hey folks,

Dumb question but I've got a Sabertooth 990FX board which uses a AM3+ socket. Everything I read before Piledrivers release said they would work in a AM3+ socket. But now everything seems to say they use FM2.

So could someone clarify, will a A10-5800K processor fit into a AM3+ socket or would I need to buy a new board that has a FM2 socket?

A10-5800k is not piledriver but trinity, look at the FX processors

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1967&subid=1825

Associate
OP
Oh right, I was going off the Wiki page which said that there were three categories of Piledriver and based on comparing them trinity seemed to be the best one.

Soldato
Oh right, I was going off the Wiki page which said that there were three categories of Piledriver and based on comparing them trinity seemed to be the best one.

Trinity uses the piledriver cores in an APU this includes a 7 series radeon graphics core so does not need a separate graphics card necessarily for gaming.

Piledriver FX does not have this and hence needs a graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom