A5 Frozen Windows and application of silicone

Soldato
This is a well-known issue and I've done a bit of Googling around to find quick fixes and ways to prevent it. What prompted this is quickly reaching into my car for something this morning and finding the door wouldn't properly close because the window hadn't dropped.

A common suggestion is to "use a silicone spray (or Gummi Pflege) on the seals".

However, I was wondering if somebody could add clarity to what this actually means? Does it mean to spray it all around the seals from the outside, inside or both? Is it all around or just the lower seal? Do I also need to cover the border of the glass with this?

My plan right now is to spray the silicone in between the window and the entirety of the outside seal, leave it to sink in and then wipe any excess that has dripped down onto the window (due to spraying the top part of the seal).

Not a very complicated question I know but I'd like to clarify this before I go full derp mode on the car.

Associate
Just the seal bit that touches the glass itself. You can of course go all around the door to minimise squeaks and the like.

Make sure you clean the seals with a bit of soapy water and give them a proper wipe to remove dirt / dust etc before applying gummi pflege.

Soldato
A common suggestion is to "use a silicone spray (or Gummi Pflege) on the seals".

However, I was wondering if somebody could add clarity to what this actually means? Does it mean to spray it all around the seals from the outside, inside or both? Is it all around or just the lower seal? Do I also need to cover the border of the glass with this?

silicon spray is not thed same as gummi pledge - yes ? solvents in the former may be no good for the 'rubber'. .. gummi's only in a liquid not a spray afaik, and I usually work it into seals with a cloth.

Make sure you clean the seals with a bit of soapy water and give them a proper wipe to remove dirt / dust etc before applying gummi pflege.
agree usually use a wedge of soapy cloth pushed in where the window recedes too; and clean the window edges at the same time with auto-glym.

Associate
It is not the same as silicone and depending on the quality of it it can damage the seals in the long run and cause squeaks and rattles across the doors.

Either gummi pflege or water, nothing in between!

Soldato
Just the seal bit that touches the glass itself. You can of course go all around the door to minimise squeaks and the like.

Gummi Pledge IS a cleaner, as well as containing some silicone to lubricate.

Washing up liquid isn't always a good idea on cars, it's quite a strong de-greaser.

Soldato
OP

Thanks, so basically put it between the glass and the seal on the top, bottom and corner? Also, this is the outside seal only isn't it? I.e. I'm not supposed to try and apply it for the inside half of the window am I?

As a quick fix I'm going to use the silicone but I'll buy the gummy stuff soon, it's just there seems to be long delivery times on it.

How often do you apply the stuff to keep it from freezing up?

Soldato
OP
I just don't understand how this is applied. If using the gummi pfledge, which looks like it has a foam applicator, how is one supposed to apply it to the area in which the problematic freezing is actually occuring?

If the card trick works, the problematic freezing is occuring slightly into the bottom seal. And so how does the gummi pledge get into this area? I can see how a spray of silicone would work but not the gummi... Perhaps I am lost.

I am personally happy to use the card trick as I only drive once or twice a week. It's just when I leave my car with this airport parking company before I soon go on holiday, I don't want to take any chances of them smashing the glass by accident in case it freezes when returning the car to me.

Soldato
If using the gummi pfledge, which looks like it has a foam applicator, how is one supposed to apply it to the area in which the problematic freezing is actually occuring?
just lever the foam applicator plug out of top, and dab some on a cloth (that's what einzet version has)
the old bmw stuff was like toothpaste tube

Newer cars are probably better .. but pre gummi pledge/framed, some of the internal window mechanism broke trying to overcome the frost - btdtgp

Associate
Gummi Pledge IS a cleaner, as well as containing some silicone to lubricate.

Washing up liquid isn't always a good idea on cars, it's quite a strong de-greaser.
It is a cleaner but it won't really handle the gunk that accumulates there. Agree that dilluted washing up liquid isn't always a good idea, that's why I said apply that to clean and degrease first, then Gummi Pflege as soon as the seals have dried.

Thanks, so basically put it between the glass and the seal on the top, bottom and corner? Also, this is the outside seal only isn't it? I.e. I'm not supposed to try and apply it for the inside half of the window am I?

As a quick fix I'm going to use the silicone but I'll buy the gummy stuff soon, it's just there seems to be long delivery times on it.

How often do you apply the stuff to keep it from freezing up?
Outside of the seal, yes. Although if you want to be extra thorough you could try and apply a bit on the inside half rubber trim at the base of the window after rolling down the window - dab a cloth in it and run it around, it won't do any harm to rubber.

As for longevity, it really depends how you wash your car. If you go to regular car washes where they always "give your seals a good wipe sir" with the filthiest gunk and grit soak rag they have, then it won't last that much.
If you avoid the above "treatment" then it lasts for a good few months. :)

Soldato
OP
It is a cleaner but it won't really handle the gunk that accumulates there. Agree that dilluted washing up liquid isn't always a good idea, that's why I said apply that to clean and degrease first, then Gummi Pflege as soon as the seals have dried.

Outside of the seal, yes. Although if you want to be extra thorough you could try and apply a bit on the inside half rubber trim at the base of the window after rolling down the window - dab a cloth in it and run it around, it won't do any harm to rubber.

As for longevity, it really depends how you wash your car. If you go to regular car washes where they always "give your seals a good wipe sir" with the filthiest gunk and grit soak rag they have, then it won't last that much.
If you avoid the above "treatment" then it lasts for a good few months. :)

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps I don't understand the science behind this but I don't understand why it's applied on the outside of the seal. Correct me if I'm wrong; the problem is the glass is frozen onto the seal and hence the window cannot drop.

The area/where the freeze has occured is on the inside of the seal because the window sits in there.

So I don't understand why it is applied on the outside of the seal and not the inside of the seal, where the window and the seal make contact?

Am I being a plonker? Am I just not understanding the science? E.g. does the gummi pflege, when applied on the outside of the seal, prevent ice from forming inside the seal too?

The reason I assume it is a freeze inside the seal that is the issue is because the card trick works by sliding that inside the seal to free the frozen window from the inside seal?

Associate
The area/where the freeze has occured is on the inside of the seal because the window sits in there.
So I don't understand why it is applied on the outside of the seal and not the inside of the seal, where the window and the seal make contact?
Correct, that is the troublesome area and where you should apply it, where the seal and window make contact. :)
Personally I consider the above mentioned area to be "outside the seal" where the seal meets the window / door frame. In my opinion, the inside would be the bit towards the roof lining interior, or in the middle of it. Of course there's no point in putting anything there. :D

Soldato
Have used Gummi fledge on my z4c which has frameless windows and they would freeze too! It did the trick on the z4. Same on my MK1 MX-5, it doesn't roll the window down the opening the door but I use it to reduce the pull on the seal when frozen...

Soldato
OP
Correct, that is the troublesome area and where you should apply it, where the seal and window make contact. :)
Personally I consider the above mentioned area to be "outside the seal" where the seal meets the window / door frame. In my opinion, the inside would be the bit towards the roof lining interior, or in the middle of it. Of course there's no point in putting anything there. :D

Thanks for the help - good to know I'm not going crazy and it was just a misinterpretation on my part :D

I've ordered the gummi pledge now and so I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Soldato
I think some may be getting confused as this stuff is normally used on the rubber seal/gasket around the door. In your case it seems to be the window scraper seal that is causing the problem (the one that seals against excess water running down the glass and into the door).

On most cars these seals are removable if you really wanted to get to all of it, but having never done so on an A5 myself and not knowing your mechanical prowess, I wouldn't advise it.

If you drop the window all the way down it will expose much of the seal though, and remove the pressure against it so the you could get a cloth-wrapped finger into the gap between glass & seal. I wouldn't expect it to work quite as well as it does on a rubber seal though as most scraper seals are lined with felt, to stop the window squeaking as it goes up and down, which is probably what is accumulating water and causing the freezing problem in the first place. Got to be worth a try though, as is using some kind of glass sealant on the window itself. It makes it much easier to scrape ice from glass on a freezing day, so might help with your issue too.

Back
Top Bottom