AAAAAGH!!!! (theiving debt agency rant!!!)

Soldato
:mad: Just woke up to a letter from essex and suffolk water asking me for £200.

Confused I take a closer look and it relates to a flat I moved out of some time in 2000. This debt relates to water charges up to 2003.

I ring the water bods to tell them of their innocent mistake, no harm done, and they say that they can't speak to me as it's been passed to a debt agency.
I speak to the debt agency who aren't willing to discuss anything, take pleasure in telling me I have a county Court Judgement against me (whatever one of those is, but I assume not good!!) and that if the bill isn't paid bailiffs will attend my new address!!!

As I have no documentary proof that I moved out of the flat I rented 6 years ago I ended up paying a £200 bill that wasn't mine and I've got this judgement against me anyway!!!

I COULD NOT BE MORE ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!

Soldato
OP
knowledge123 said:
how about the water bill from your new place?
Moved from there to another rented place (no proof anymore either) then into my GF's, so nothing was in my name, to my dads place when me and the ex split. :(

How about contacting the original letting agent and asking for poof?
Just to continue the complicatedness, the flat was rented from my step mother, so it was all quite informal.

Associate
Samtheman1k said:
How about contacting the original letting agent and asking for poof?

Poof would in no way help him, the water board already ripped the **** out of him he doesnt need anymore. :D

IMO A CCJ will mean you will most likely have loans and even credit cards turn you down in the future. You need to contact your previous letting agent and get them to send in a letter proving you had moved on. I thought that it was the agent who paid the water board anyway - at least thats my experience! Good luck

Associate
I wouldn’t leave it at that mate even one CCJ can really screw your credit score. I’d try at all costs to sort this. It could come back to bite you years down the line when you think it’s all been forgotten about even if you have paid it off.

Soldato
If it was 6 years ago, the judgement/default is valid from the date of default - when the account was due and therefore will no longer be displayed on your credit rating by the end of the year. Debts more than 6 years old are not legally collectable.

Personally I would go and see CAB and explain the situation. What you need to do is contact the landlord of the premises you lived at and get proof of when you moved out.

Soldato
Chris [BEANS] said:
Moved from there to another rented place (no proof anymore either) then into my GF's, so nothing was in my name, to my dads place when me and the ex split. :(

Just to continue the complicatedness, the flat was rented from my step mother, so it was all quite informal.
Letter from the landlord giving details of your tenancy often suffices.

Proving that you moved into another address has no relevance as it is more than possible (in the eyes of the creditor, courts etc) that you had tenancy or ownership of more than one property at that time. You need to provide proof of when you moved out of that particular address.

Associate
As a former debt collector my advice is:

1. DO NOT deal with the debt collection agency. In particular do not give them any current details cause they will HOUND you forever more. We were chasing a bird who happened to have phoned us from her friend's mobile on one occasion. We got the number and hounded that friend until we got contact details for the debtor. Debt collection agencies will say and do anything to get you to give them money. Deal in writing with the water company and your local CAB to get the problem sorted out.

2. Be persistent. Write at least one letter a week asking for updates etc. Send them recorded delivery and keep copies.

Associate
Surely you would still have a bank account though that proves your address changed whenever you moved? I never got as far as having a CCJ against my name, but I ended up with a default because the same thing happened to me! I moved house, they didnt change their records and a year later I was slapped with a default and only found out about it as I failed a credit check so got a copy of my credit record.

Despite it being their fault for not updating their records when I moved house and gave them my new address, I still cant get credit a year later and they wouldnt claim responsibility. Seems theres no hope if you ever get a CCJ or Default and would love to hear otherwise! I just wish all these places would burn down and not have so much control over your life as Equifax, etc seem to have :o

Back
Top Bottom