1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aberfan 50 Years On

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by a1ex2001, Nov 18, 2019.

1. a1ex2001

Capodecina

2. ethan

Soldato

I was speaking to an elderly guy the other week who was there the day it happened. So tragic.

3. Freakbro

Capodecina

Karl Jenkins' Lament for the Valley, a beautiful and moving piece of music in tribute to Aberfan

4. PlacidCasual

Soldato

That article had me on the verge of tears at times. I knew of the disaster we discussed it on my engineering degree and I've driven past a few times, but I think I might visit the memorial next time. Truly tragic.

I work in a high hazard industry and it is impressive to see how far safety culture has come on in the UK and the forward thinking approach we take. Let us hope we never have anything so tragic again.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Flicking through a Spike Milligan poetry book in a charity shop a couple of year ago, I saw this and took a pic. I'd recently read about Aberfan for the first time (it was probably the 50 year anniversary - the article in the OP is a few years old I think), so it resonated:

[​IMG]

6. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

Never heard about this before. Very very sad.

7. silverblack

Wise Guy

8. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I remember that when it happened. They had apparently been warned of the problem of these 'bings' but did nothing. This was not the only place where this could have happened. As usual in this country it took deaths before something was done, just like Grenfell. After Brexit all those pesky health and safety regulations will be swept away so profit can be maximised.

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

That was unnecessary. The UK has been proactive at steadily improving health and safety regulation and standards for 50 years irrespective of the EU.

10. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The point was the statements from the Tory Party about getting rid of 'red tape' after Brexit. Their stated aims of creating a Singapore type economy in the UK which means less regulations. It was in no way meant to detract from the tragedy which was horrific but there is still a culture in this country that ordinary people's lives mean little until a tragedy happens and they cannot deny the problem, re Grenfell.

11. 200sols

Mobster

Did you really need to turn this thread into a brexit argument....

12. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

It highlights the reasons why this tragedy happened and the reasons why something similar like Grenfell will continue to happen in the future.

13. 200sols

Mobster

It really doesnt, Grenfell or Aberfan have nothing to do with brexit.

14. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

As I said above

Brexit will be bad for the ordinary person but the people in charge are gung ho for it.

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

Does this mean we get to blame nationalisation for the tragedy too in order to score cheap points?

16. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I was talking about the wider significance of the reasons for the tragedy in this country and you come in scoring cheap points, I hope you feel proud.

17. Dolph

Man of Honour

You weren't. You used it for cheap anti brexit points.

18. EVH

Don

Back on topic, it’s clear Ron knows sweet FA about H&S legislation and I can’t be arsed to explain how he’s so wrong.

Let’s pay some respect to a tragedy that could have been easily prevented.

19. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Wrong, as usual. I was talking about the fact that politicians/Govt do not do anything until there is bodies. It will not improve under Brexit rather only get worse as there will be less money to go around. You had to jump in with a comment about nationalisation meaning as usual your pathological hatred of Labour/its policies/unions.

20. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I was a Health and Safety Rep at one time. My post had not so much to do with H&S as Govt doing nothing when there is a threat to lives. As you say it could(and should) have been prevented as they were warned.