About to buy an iMac; some last-minute questions

Soldato
I'm just about to buy a 21.5" iMac for use at home and with my HE Discount I can get £130 off* a new iPod.

However, I've already got two 160GB Classics and I really can't be bothered with another one, so I was thinking about an iPod Touch, especially now the new models have been released.

However, I have some questions:

1. Are they worth the money and what's the 'best' size to get?

2. Is it fair to consider them an iPhone without the phone and 3G/HSDPA aspect?

3. As I've got an Android phone that I generally carry around with me, can the iPod Touch do anything useful over and above being an iPod?

4. Is the gaming aspect a useful selling point for these devices?

5. Do they have GPS?

6. How useful is it having a device for use on the go that's WiFi only?

And now for the silly question:

7. If this is the iPod Touch '4' why doesn't it look like the iPhone 4?

*Well, a rebate anyway.

Caporegime
I'm just about to buy a 21.5" iMac for use at home and with my HE Discount I can get £130 off* a new iPod.

However, I've already got two 160GB Classics and I really can't be bothered with another one, so I was thinking about an iPod Touch, especially now the new models have been released.

However, I have some questions:

OK, let's see then...

glitch said:
1. Are they worth the money and what's the 'best' size to get?

Definitely worth it, but it is a gateway drug - I had my iPod touch a matter of days before I sold a shedload of stuff round the house to finance on iPhone purchase.

The thing I love about the touch is being able to use it as a little web tablet when I'm on the sofa. It's brilliant for that. Loads of great apps too.

glitch said:
2. Is it fair to consider them an iPhone without the phone and 3G/HSDPA aspect?

No GPS or camera either, though the new models may have the camera, though as has been said the rebate doesn't apply to them.

glitch said:
3. As I've got an Android phone that I generally carry around with me, can the iPod Touch do anything useful over and above being an iPod?

Battery life will be miles better for wifi use.

glitch said:
4. Is the gaming aspect a useful selling point for these devices?

I see so many people on the train playing iphone/ipod touch games, so it's definitely of use to a lot of people.

glitch said:
5. Do they have GPS?

No, but if you buy the hilariously expensive Tomtom car kit for the ipod touch (£79) that has an inbuilt GPS receiver that can be used with the equally overpriced Tomtom software (£49).

glitch said:
6. How useful is it having a device for use on the go that's WiFi only?

Depends on where you go with it. For actually on the move, like on the train, it's basically an ipod+games.

glitch said:
And now for the silly question:

7. If this is the iPod Touch '4' why doesn't it look like the iPhone 4?

Pass.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately apple don't allow the rebate to be used on the new iPods, the actual aim for the back to school rebate is to get rid of the old stock.
Damn.

Does that mean I'm restricted to refurbs then? I can't see how to order an older iPod Touch otherwise...

OK, let's see then...
Marvellous stuff there, von. Much appreciated.

So, if I look at it as a portable games system with the ability to surf the web and stuff like that when on WiFi, it's a winner. Nice.

Soldato
OP
I've just realised this thread has virtually nothing to do with an iMac.

Erm... any reason not to upgrade the base-model 21.5" if it's just going to be a little workstation and not needed for anything overly flash?

Back
Top Bottom