About to order a Sigma 85mm 1.4!

Associate
Well I'd say go for it and if you get one with focusing problems return it to the retailer for a replacement, or you could send it in to Sigma for calibration with your camera body.

I have a 30mm 1.4 and I think it's a little off, but it's not noticeable in any of my photos so I'm happy enough with it. But now that I'm not using it much I may send it and my camera body in to get done what I just suggested.

Don't forget that Sigma also offer a 3 year warranty if you register your lens within 30 days which makes it even more enticing to purchase one.

Maybe I'll get enough cash together to get an 85 myself :D

Associate
I ordered one for myself around a week ago, and it should be here any day now!

Already had a play with one on my d7000 and practically fell in love with it, but I'll post up mu thoughts once I get my hands on my copy if you want?

Associate
I have one Sigma lens. 20mm f1.8

Aside of the noisy focusing (for those who care, I dont) and the huge 82mm filter thread meaning filters cost you a small fortune, its a perfectly good lens and one of my landscape and rock concert workhorses.

Associate
I got the Sigma 85 1.4 for the Canon and its one of my favourite lens in my line up. I would avoid using UV filters on them though as it made the AF motor spaz out like a jackhammer resulting in blurry shots. Thought it was a faulty HSM mech but it works perfectly when I removed the filter.

Man of Honour
Not tempted to save for the Nikon version? Yeah it's £300 more or so but it's unquestionably better and you're already spending enough on the Sigma it'd be something I'd want to make a one time purchase for me and just spend the extra on something I won't need to replace

Soldato
OP
Just got it, but it seems it has backfocus, needs -10 to be spot on. Not sure whether to return it or get it calibrated under warranty.

That aside, below are my initial thoughts...

Build and weight.
I'm not used to dealing with a lens of such size and weight. I'm used to being able to hold my camera one handed without shake if I need to, with this lens I can't without getting a blurry image at or below 1/160. I also use a lens pouch on a belt for fast lens changes, this lens with the petal lens hood made this more difficult due to it's length and girth. Much of this problem was resolved by using the APSC lens hood extender as a lens hood instead of the petal lens hood. I like to use a lens hood to protect the from element.

Size comparison
I feel the 'Keg' would be more lens than I could handle.

700_4957.jpg

AF
Focus speed is nice a quick, I'd say nearly as fast as my 85 1.8 on a D700, so good enough, and also focus's well in very low light to, both of these areas are very important to me, the slower AF speed of the 1.4G kind of put's me off, although no doubt I'm sure it's a great lens.

IQ
Due to the extra heft etc. I would send this lens straight back, but the IQ is gorgeous! Really really pleased with IQ, love the bokeh and sharpness at 1.4. Some CA but that doesn't worry me.

Below are some samples and 100% crops. ISO's are not that low, so there might be a little grain.

700_4841-Edit.jpg

700_4899.jpg

700_4904.jpg

700_4913.jpg

sigma100.jpg

700_4950.jpg

sigma2100.jpg

700_4896-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'd say go for it and if you get one with focusing problems return it to the retailer for a replacement, or you could send it in to Sigma for calibration with your camera body.

I have a 30mm 1.4 and I think it's a little off, but it's not noticeable in any of my photos so I'm happy enough with it. But now that I'm not using it much I may send it and my camera body in to get done what I just suggested.

Don't forget that Sigma also offer a 3 year warranty if you register your lens within 30 days which makes it even more enticing to purchase one.

Maybe I'll get enough cash together to get an 85 myself :D

What camera are you using this on? I'm seriously considering this as an addition to the kit lens on the Canon 550D but the focus issues are making me wonder if the Canon 28mm F1.8 might be a wiser choice.

Associate
Really nice isolation of the subject but I can't help but feel the bokeh is not very smooth looking and slightly detracts from the picture. You can't fault it on value though.

Saying that your first test shots have nicer bokeh so perhaps it is just an unfortunate background?

Back
Top Bottom