About to pass my DAS - cheap insurance

Soldato
Ok gents, I get it, I've got the bug, I understand why 2 wheels are far superior for fun, thrills and adrenaline than 4.

I've passed my MOD1 and about to take my MOD2 in the next few weeks. It's been recommended that I get a 600cc ish bike to start with (and this is all I'm after as I want to build experience). My question for you all is do you have any recommendations for how to get cheap insurance?

I'm 33, have been driving for 15 years have 10 yeas NCD (though I know they don't count for a Motorbike). I've never owned or ridden a bike so have no experience or NCD. I'll be securing the bike at the back of my house with CCTV and a decent OXFORD Rota Force anchor etc.

What tips and tricks have you guys used to get cheap insurance?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Don't get a 600cc super sport bike, apart from that as long as you don't live in Baghdad you'll probably find at your age insurance will be a couple of hundred quid at most and will drop to pennies once you've got a year or two no claims.

Mine was £270ish I think in my first year for an SV with no declared security and ungaraged, third year this year was £90.

Soldato
Get a 600 naked . Plenty of choice (sv/hornet/bandit/fz etc) Hornet ot SV would be my shout . Insurance as said will be minimal . Good luck with yer mod 2

Soldato
Hornet/Fazer over Bandit/SV, Oxford stuff tends to be a bit Micky Mouse (the chains are over priced and they don’t stand up to much), Almax for chain etc. but since the advent of the lithium-ion battery portable angle grinders will go through pretty much anything in seconds unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
Super. Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I've gone ahead and bought an OXFORD RotaForce Anchor and Monster Chain. As you said, anything can be chopped through but it shows willing. I'm going to be keeping the bike to the rear of my house so it's out of sight and it's going to sit underneath a camera so I'm hopeful that this will be a good enough of a deterrent. I was going to get a cover so it's not as obvious but I'm hoping this will be enough. Like I said above, it's not going to be the worlds most expensive bike, but enough that I don't want it nicked!

I'm thinking about a Yamaha FZ6. I mean the Street Triple would be the dream but I understand they're not the most suitable for a new rider - I guess in a year if I'm still after one I can upgrade.

Soldato
Why would you not class the Street triple as a starter bike? Light bike, very nimble and smooth. They are fast bikes off the line, but so are many other 600's. I would think they are a great bike for a newbie IMO.

Only thing is, triumph parts are normally more expensive if things do go wrong. Fantastic bikes.

Soldato
OP
Why would you not class the Street triple as a starter bike? Light bike, very nimble and smooth. They are fast bikes off the line, but so are many other 600's. I would think they are a great bike for a newbie IMO.

Only thing is, triumph parts are normally more expensive if things do go wrong. Fantastic bikes.

the cheapest insurance i can get is around £500 but im guessing after a year with some NCD that'll come down a fair bit?

Soldato
the cheapest insurance i can get is around £500 but im guessing after a year with some NCD that'll come down a fair bit?
Is that for the non R model? I've always wanted a street Street triple r however the insurance was stupid. The non R model however is affordable.

Bike before this was an sv650s, and I loved that bike. It was suprisingly nippy, could have fun with it without going into the stupid zone, easy to work on and insurance was really cheap.

Depends what your after, could go the cheaper route get some ncb and rider experience and then go for a dream bike, or go ahead with a decent bike/dream bike. Either way, it's your pride and joy, so you will look after each bike as equal.

Wish I would have kept my sv simply how cheap it was to keep.

Soldato
There's the opposing argument of just getting whatever bike you want, regardless of size as you won't get bored of it as quickly. It only goes as fast as you want it to. There's some 1000cc+ bikes with reasonable insurance.

Soldato
My new MT-09 insurance is only £350 per year, MT07 was £600... I have had my licence for 8 years but no NCB as didn't own a bike for a couple of years. Gsxr6 insurance is around £1500 though.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Get a cover. Don't under-estimate how sucky it will be to sit on a soaking wet bike at 7am on a January morning.

Also, you say sitting a bike under a camera will be a deterrent but don't forget a camera can be rendered obsolete with a hoody/balaclava. Think of it as layers of protection where your chain/lock are the first, the cover is the second and the CCTV the third. I'd go so far as to say that the cover is better than the camera as you're hiding the bike away which is going to count for more than a shiny bike sitting outside in full view.

Street triples are very highly sought after in the criminal underworld. Be wary of that.

Back
Top Bottom