About to spend £1500 on a phone

Associate
I really don't understand iso etc etc

I just buy the best "camera phone". Is there a pocket camera that can auto shoot pictures and 4k video for the same money?

It needs to be " Auto shoot"!... I don't understand or care for fiddling.

The phone I was going to buy is
Sony Xperia Pro-I

Video recording for my daughter is most important!

Your advice?

Soldato
Get an iPhone Pro Max. It’s cheaper, has an excellent camera, is very easy to use yet also has the option to use professional video and image formats if need be.

Soldato
Nothing beats the convenience of a mobile no matter how much you spend on a camera.

£1500 gets you many many options though.

iPhone 13 pro is cheaper and one of the best around.

Soldato
You're in the photography thread and asking about buying a phone for photos?!

As a new owner of a 13 Pro, I have to admit they are cracking cameras.....for a phone. But they will still never touch a 'proper' camera, especially if you have £1500 to spend.

Get a camera and learn how to use it.

Associate
OP
You're in the photography thread and asking about buying a phone for photos?!

As a new owner of a 13 Pro, I have to admit they are cracking cameras.....for a phone. But they will still never touch a 'proper' camera, especially if you have £1500 to spend.

Get a camera and learn how to use it.

Yes genius, read the title!.... Hence the question

Soldato
Definitely do not drop £1500 on a phone just for the camera.

Even an iPhone 11 Pro still produces amazing photos and video and you can buy those for under £500.

Soldato
Having used Xperia 1 and 5 II, unless you really know what you doing in terms of recording, as above I would just go for an iPhone 13 Pro Max or android flagships like S21 Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro, etc and save the change.

You can transform the recording experience further on those with the likes of Filmic Pro app to get a plethora of extra options.

Soldato
A used Sony RX100 pocket camera at £100 0dd will still smoke any phone camera on earth, just saying incase you decide to get a dedicated camera and a cheaper phone

Soldato
My Xperia 1ii contract runs out in Feb, I'm probably going to go for this. Yes it isn't a 1" sensor as it doesn't use the whole sensor, but I really like their photo pro app and GSM Arena review was quite telling when they compared it against the iPhone 13 pro.
Disclaimer iPhones aren't an option for me as I don't like the closed ecosystem and the support overhead they generate at work.

Associate
OP
Is there a point and shoot camera under 2k that does amazing auto video and pictures?

Point and shoot!.... Is there PC software that does a good auto job of improving raw pictures?

Soldato
Is there a point and shoot camera under 2k that does amazing auto video and pictures?

Point and shoot!.... Is there PC software that does a good auto job of improving raw pictures?
What are you actually expecting?

It doesn’t make any sense at all to spend £2000 on a camera that takes picture and videos of your family.

What are you going to do with the video files? Play them back on a computer or a tv? Are you printing pictures on a large scale?

Man of Honour
Any Samsung or iPhone flagship model line will get superb video and photos. That will easily rival big dedicated cameras for this use case context.

I'd pick either over an Xperia which whilst packed with features just has not ever compared like for like with the others.

PIxel 6 is now very good for video whereas it lacked previously but still not as good as the others.

A Pixel will always take better looking general photos as a point and shoot than any other phone. But if you make use of the more advanced modes of a Samsung, you can manually get better more cinematic results too.

Soldato
It needs to be " Auto shoot"!... I don't understand or care for fiddling.
I looked into getting the Sony Xperia PRO-I but it's restrained and requires the use of post processing to get the best 'image' out of captured image. Sounds like the Sony isn't for you.

I got a iPhone 13 Pro Max which is the best of both worlds - great photos & amazing video straight out of the phone, with RAW options for both should you want to post process them in the future.

Soldato
I've lost count of the amount of times a phone couldn't cut the mustered. Also take into consideration - along with any recommendations the resale value and depreciation associated with the item you might be trying to buy - further down the line.
Edit: as an afterthought, if you are going to need software to automatically do your editing for you, you are perhaps going to rely on AI and something like Luminar Neo for general purpose results, when it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom