1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

ABS kicking in when turning right and braking at very low speeds (under 5mph)

Discussion in 'Motors' started by bledd, 21 Apr 2016.

1. bledd

Don

On my wife's Yaris. For the past few weeks we've had this issue.

If you're turning right sharply and braking, you'll feel the ABS kicking in.
    It's going way too slow for the wheel to actually be slipping (to cause a genuine reason for ABS to turn on)

Is this likely to be just a duff sensor, could it perhaps just need cleaning?

Braking at all other times feels perfect.

We only really find it kicking in when parking the car.

The ABS light isn't showing up during normal operation.

2. benneh

Sgarrista

Sounds like a knackered wheel speed sensor.

3. tl45

Hitman

As above, issue with a wheel speed sensor, or if car has ESP also perhaps mismatch of tyre wear front to rear - sometimes this is exaggerated if there's a mix of tyre brands fitted.

4. iaind

Capodecina

How old is it? The ABS rings on some cars can rust and disintegrate with age

5. cdcopyman

Hitman

my gf recently had simialir issues with her 2011 astra , esp service and abs / traction lights where coming on every now and then ....then stayed on....ran a diagnostic check with one of them cheapo blutooth obd readers and showed a speed sensor fault :( although doesnt say which side so a freind used his snap on solus scanner and showed us it was drivers side. bought a new sensor online for £17 and fitted. been ok since

6. Kaeo

Wise Guy

100% sensor or abs ring. My car does this, it has a chipped tooth on the ring, but a half dud sensor will do the same. A very dirty sensor will aswell, mind.

Edit :- The point being the abs block gets a signal that the wheel has stopped before it has due to the sensor or ring giving wrong info, so the abs kicks in to stop it from locking, even though it isn't locked.

7. bledd

Don

Car is a 2003 model.

Tyres are matched and evenly worn. I'll whip the wheels off, clean the sensors and inspect the teeth.

Thanks gents.

Forgot about my ODB2 reader, I'll run that on it too!